Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 06:14 PM

110 posts, read 147,872 times

Advertisements

I hope my old hometown turns it around. Granted not every city has this issue, but there are far more have nots than haves in this country. Good wages reduce crime, poverty and drug use.

As Pittsburgh Grapples With A Changing Workforce, The Fight For 15 Comes To Town

Old 10-27-2015, 06:20 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,161,868 times
Sounds like Pittsburgh is in good company.

Quote:
[Choosing] whether to follow the examples set by Seattle, San Francisco, and Los Angeles
I think you could do a better job of rabble rousing if you tried a little harder. Maybe pick a city vs burbs fight.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:33 PM

385 posts, read 310,014 times
$15/hr is a fair and reasonable income for fast food workers.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:49 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,268,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPizzaHutFan View Post
$15/hr is a fair and reasonable income for fast food workers.
getting $15 worth of value out of a teenager is a tough proposition. A $15 wage would make fast food a strictly adult occupation- dealing mostly with keeping the robots and automated ordering systems which will be doing the actual production in good working order.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:38 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,165,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
getting $15 worth of value out of a teenager is a tough proposition. A $15 wage would make fast food a strictly adult occupation- dealing mostly with keeping the robots and automated ordering systems which will be doing the actual production in good working order.
Fast food work is already a job that is mostly done by adults today. I don't have Pittsburgh-specific statistics, but the majority of fast food workers are older than age 20.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
Fast food work is already a job that is mostly done by adults today. I don't have Pittsburgh-specific statistics, but the majority of fast food workers are older than age 20.
Mostly by adults, sure, but about 1/3 of fast food workers are teenagers, and the industry has traditionally provided them with their first opportunities.

That's going to go by the boards with a lot higher wage, for which the employer will require a lot higher degree of expertise to keep the automated systems running smoothly as well as a lot more professionalism in providing hospitality to the customers.

It isn't like the fast food industry can just raise prices- too much competition. No one has to eat fast food, they can bring a braunchweiger sandwich from home for lunch.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Counterpoint: I make $85,500 per annum and I spend most of that time wasting time.

The guy who makes my sandwich deserves $15 an hour.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Mostly by adults, sure, but about 1/3 of fast food workers are teenagers, and the industry has traditionally provided them with their first opportunities.

That's going to go by the boards with a lot higher wage, for which the employer will require a lot higher degree of expertise to keep the automated systems running smoothly as well as a lot more professionalism in providing hospitality to the customers.

It isn't like the fast food industry can just raise prices- too much competition. No one has to eat fast food, they can bring a braunchweiger sandwich from home for lunch.
Prices are already as high as the market will bear. The cost of labor and materials have nothing to do with what the final product is priced at.

That product is priced at what you'll pay for it.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:22 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,397,943 times
Quote:
Prices are already as high as the market will bear. The cost of labor and materials have nothing to do with what the final product is priced at.

What are you talking about, the cost of labor and material has everything to do with what the final price will be, if the final price is higher than what the market will bear, the business will close.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:27 AM

Quote:

Usually true, that's certainly the quest of the merchant. Although sometimes they are able to raise prices unilaterally like Chipolte did earlier this year to increase their margins.

But mostly, if they have to raise prices, its the end of the business, sooner or later. Customers will only pay so much as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh