Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2015, 12:10 PM

10 posts, read 12,980 times

Advertisements

I'd love to get some input from parents, teachers, or community members who have had some experience with either of these two schools. We live in Brighton Heights and will be sending our first off to Kindergarten next year. We are considering these two along with our neighborhood Catholic school (open to other suggestions that would keep the drive time under 15 mins). What have you seen at these two schools? What sorts of questions would you recommend while touring or talking with people at each location? Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 12:33 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,380,495 times
Manchester Academic Charter School
Allegheny
Manchester
I am 23 now though I can look with hindsight. The kids (mainly boys) who went to propel schools/charter schools/magnet schools/catholic/goal-honors programs at city schools grew up to do very, well even if they didn't go to college. Yet Pittsburgh Public Schools have got to be the worst in the nation for poor white and black men. 35-55% boys who I grew up friends with who went gen education in PPS got jumped into gangs in the basements of high schools including Alderdice. Lincoln is a Shuamen Pipeline and Westinghouse/Woodland Hills/Carrick/etc is an ACJ-prison pipe line.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:15 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylsttn View Post
(open to other suggestions that would keep the drive time under 15 mins).
Have you ruled out Morrow? I don't have kids, but it saddens me to see many of my neighbors not utilizing the free school that is mere blocks away.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:59 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylsttn View Post
I'd love to get some input from parents, teachers, or community members who have had some experience with either of these two schools. We live in Brighton Heights and will be sending our first off to Kindergarten next year. We are considering these two along with our neighborhood Catholic school (open to other suggestions that would keep the drive time under 15 mins). What have you seen at these two schools? What sorts of questions would you recommend while touring or talking with people at each location? Thanks for your help.
I can say that the plan for next year is for our son to begin kindergarten at ATA. We have several neighbors in the War Streets who've had generally favorable experiences there with their kids. FWIW, these are professional, often dual-income couples who could send their kids elsewhere if they so chose. Additionally, I work with a colleague whose wife is a teacher at ATA. They live in the North Hills but she's mentioned to him that, absent the geographic difficulty of not attending school with their local friends, she would have embraced sending her own 3 boys to ATA.

I know less about Manchester but the bit I have heard is generally positive. I know a woman who has sent five different grandchildren through Manchester and swears by it. Honestly, I'm pretty sure she's been trying to recruit our family there for the last 6 months.

That's all anecdote and I fully understand that's not data, but you're able to find that elsewhere.

Hope that helps.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:12 PM

5 posts, read 7,273 times
My children went to Northside Catholic School until we moved in 2014. I would ask about how many children are enrolled. It is always a question about how long they are going to remain open. The biggest reason we left Brighton Heights were the schools. We lived there for 20 years, and for the most part loved it, but had to find other options for high school.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:45 AM

I think we have ruled out Morrow. We just haven't heard anything with much good to say about it, especially as the kids get a little older. It is frustrating. I love the idea of sending the kids to school just 3 blocks away. Our neighbors with four kids just moved this summer and it was 100% due to the schools.
I understand that there are some bigger, more complex issues at play here but I'd really prefer to not get into them on this thread. Just interested in what you have experienced and/or what you have heard about elementary schools on the northside (or nearby).

Old 11-04-2015, 03:38 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,525 times
Stay away from Propel Northside. Some other Propel schools are great, that one is chaos.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:13 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,380,495 times
Allegheny over Manchester. Though Manchester (both the area & the school) is getting better there's an unspoken stigma you'd learn very soon. Allegheny has always done a recognizable job of educating kids from diverse backrounds and managing neighborhoods with uneasy relations...

Old 11-05-2015, 05:54 AM

Thanks folks. I appreciate the feedback. Any advice on what sorts of questions you might ask when visiting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: