Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 07:07 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,558,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Hopefully U.S. authorities are better at vetting refugees then were the European authorities
They don't have any papers. The source of 'intelligence' will be the refugees themselves.

Are you a terrorist? Why no, Mr. Vetter.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:10 PM

My question is, where are they going to be living?

Public housing?

Old 11-16-2015, 07:14 PM

32,621 posts, read 77,707,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post

Public housing?
A friend of mine in Seattle slept in his friend's car the night of the attacks in Paris so a stranded French family could sleep in his apartment. THAT level of selflessness is something ALL Americans should emulate.

When did we become so selfish? And, yes, this is coming from the same dude who complains that Buick drivers won't get out of his way on the Parkway East.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:15 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,264,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post

Public housing?
Probably work for the city and live wherever they choose.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
A friend of mine in Seattle slept in his friend's car the night of the attacks in Paris so a stranded French family could sleep in his apartment. THAT level of selflessness is something ALL Americans should emulate.

When did we become so selfish? And, yes, this is coming from the same dude who complains that Buick drivers won't get out of his way on the Parkway East.
??

Old 11-16-2015, 07:28 PM

14,354 posts, read 17,071,242 times
Could people please stop presuming we're accepting a bunch of illiterate goat herders here. Around a quarter of the Syrian population are college graduates. There are signs that the percentage of refugees coming out of middle-class educated households is even higher, ranging from a third to over half depending upon the country. This makes a lot of sense, because you need money to pay smugglers to bring you out of Syria, and poor families there can barely afford food, let alone pay their way out of the country.

The bottom line is the Syrian refugees are just the sort of people that the U.S. needs. This is doubly true in a city like Pittsburgh, which still has all-to many distressed neighborhoods with a declining population that a new ethnic community could provide a shot in the arm to.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:29 PM

618 posts, read 693,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Whatever it is it didn't work out too well for the Parisians

That's just a strange statement to make. I guess macabre jokes are still in vogue.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Could people please stop presuming we're accepting a bunch of illiterate goat herders here. Around a quarter of the Syrian population are college graduates. There are signs that the percentage of refugees coming out of middle-class educated households is even higher, ranging from a third to over half depending upon the country. This makes a lot of sense, because you need money to pay smugglers to bring you out of Syria, and poor families there can barely afford food, let alone pay their way out of the country.

The bottom line is the Syrian refugees are just the sort of people that the U.S. needs. This is doubly true in a city like Pittsburgh, which still has all-to many distressed neighborhoods with a declining population that a new ethnic community could provide a shot in the arm to.
You have no idea if the Syrians coming to Pittsburgh are educated or not.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:40 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,817,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
We're not in a life-or-death situation here.
Yes, we are. Like it or not, ISIS and the remnants of Al-Qaeda are actively at war with us. They have affirmatively declared that the Paris attacks were just a prelude of what is to come. They have openly admitted to and bragged about using the refugee crisis as a way to sneak foreign fighters into western nations in order to engage in jihad.

Look, everyone feels for the refugees, but the primary responsibility of public officials like Peduto should be for the safety and well being of those that already live here. Also, why is it assumed that the only way to help people is to allow them to move into your house? Do you invite every homeless person or stray cat to move into your house with you?

Old 11-16-2015, 07:40 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,893,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Schwabe View Post
That's just a strange statement to make. I guess macabre jokes are still in vogue.
It wasn't a joke at all

Unless one can prove to me that we are 100% sure that any refugee allowed here is not & never will be a radical islamacist then it's not worth risking the lives of a single Pennsylvanian in my opinion. Parisians were compassionate in allowing refugees into their fine city & im sure if you asked the families of those killed they would have a different opinion now of that compassion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh