Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 07:46 PM

697 posts, read 778,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
For the past few years I have done my Christmas shopping here: Handmade Arcade | Pittsburgh's Largest Independent Craft Fair.
I also like the I Made it! market, but it was held last weekend.
Shopping locally is a great thing.
I agree. Fun to get unique items and support artists, small local businesses, fair trade.

There's a handmade market at the Wilkins community center this weekend... https://wsccpgh.org/event/2015-holiday-gift-shop/
7604 Charleston (building near corner at Braddock ave), 15218 I think that neighborhood is Regent Sq.

There's also a fair trade market at the Environmental Charter School (upper school on Milton) this weekend. 2015 Fair Trade Marketplace at ECS | ECS PCO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 08:42 PM

26 posts, read 28,288 times
I've always assume World Market doesn't have locations here because they can't sell beer and wine ...?

Old 12-02-2015, 07:06 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,065 times
I shopped at Handmade Arcade for the first time last year, and got a lot of one-of-a-kind presents for people. It was great. I believe it's this Saturday at the convention center. There are tons of locally-owned shops between downtown and all the neighborhoods, and you can probably find everything you need (if you're not looking for the latest electronics stuff or blow-things-up video games).

Old 12-02-2015, 08:14 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
For the past few years I have done my Christmas shopping here: Handmade Arcade | Pittsburgh's Largest Independent Craft Fair.
I also like the I Made it! market, but it was held last weekend.
Shopping locally is a great thing.
Handmade Arcade is awesome. Great selection of original work. You can talk to the artists about their creative process. I bought a lot of stuff there last year. Added bonus for me is that the convention center is about 15 minutes from my house.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:26 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipman View Post
I've always assume World Market doesn't have locations here because they can't sell beer and wine ...?
Maybe, but that did not stop Costco and Trader Joe's from coming here.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:39 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
There are tons of locally-owned shops between downtown and all the neighborhoods, and you can probably find everything you need (if you're not looking for the latest electronics stuff or blow-things-up video games).
Keeping it local. This Thursday through Sunday, The Joy of Cookies Tour in Lawrenceville. Look for the gingerbread men to find participating businesses. Don't miss The Gallery on 43rd Street, https://www.facebook.com/gallery.43rdstreet, while you're on the tour. Shameless self promotion, I sell my work there.

Old 12-02-2015, 04:03 PM

226 posts, read 303,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Maybe, but that did not stop Costco and Trader Joe's from coming here.
Beer/wine makes up about 1/4 of the footprint inside of a World Market. Not the case for the other supermarket/bog box stores.

Some of the stores on that list are junk. Ever been inside a Nordstrom Rack? It's just a more expensive Ross Dress-for-Less. Krispy Kreme? Eh, maybe 20 years ago. Sports Authority? It's a crappier version of Dick's. Shopko? I haven't come up with a reason why this place exists at all.

Old 12-02-2015, 05:43 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,496,883 times
Looks like Cost Plus World Market is opening their first PA location soon in suburban Philadelphia. Not sure how the alcohol situation will play out for this store or future stores in PA.

Cost Plus World Market, Buybuy Baby Lease 41,000 SF in Water Tower Square | Deals Defining the Skyline

Old 12-02-2015, 06:53 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,417,453 times
Kroger? Not a chance, not since the troubles of the early 80's. Anyway, we need another overpriced grocery store chain for what possible reason?

Old 12-02-2015, 09:47 PM

395 posts, read 488,451 times
How about a CiCi's Pizza? Don't they have all you can eat pizza for $5 plus change? I think that's what their commercials say anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh