Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 11:17 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciulli View Post
Isn't that Polish Hill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 11:23 PM

By the way, this is what I'm thinking of when I suggest commercial redevelopment in Spring Garden:

1414 Spring Garden Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15212 | Zillow

Kind of hilarious when the realtor suggests "this would be great as a warehouse...or a brewery!" -- but there's a large grain of truth to that assertion. I think there's other kinds of creative uses for a space with high ceilings, wood floors, and large windows...I'm a little afraid to give concrete ideas because people will accuse me of wanting to create nail salons for fro-yo-eating poodles (or whatever), but it really is the kind of building that makes a great "studio" or "workshop" or otherwise "creative" space.

Anyway, if I had a million dollars I'd do something cool with this building.

Old 02-26-2016, 05:02 PM

268 posts, read 385,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
Isn't that Polish Hill?
Yes, Herron is definitely in Polish Hill.

Nice to see a little Millvale love on here from most folks. Things are on a strong trajectory upward and I don't expect for it to stop until Lawrenceville stops booming which will happen eventually I guess but not for a very, very long time...

I've pretty much come to expect bluecarebear to show up and trash Millvale at any mention of our little hometown on this board so that is par for the course. Not sure why? Though I'll say that there is a place for everyone, but I do get confused at their constant criticism of Millvale. Oh well. Haters gonna hate. Carry on.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainlove View Post
Yes, Herron is definitely in Polish Hill.

Nice to see a little Millvale love on here from most folks. Things are on a strong trajectory upward and I don't expect for it to stop until Lawrenceville stops booming which will happen eventually I guess but not for a very, very long time...

I've pretty much come to expect bluecarebear to show up and trash Millvale at any mention of ouri little hometown on this board so that is par for the course. Not sure why? Though I'll say that there is a place for everyone, but I do get confused at their constant criticism of Millvale. Oh well. Haters gonna hate. Carry on.
I love Millvale. Love. If you told us we had to leave the city, we would move to Millvale, hands down.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:27 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,914 times
Count me as another fan of Millvale. I enjoyed living there a lot.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:27 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,791 times
Millvale is one of those places I would really consider leaving the city for, at least for a time to try it, but I just can't seem to find a suitable structure to work with. The person that posted the church in another thread gave me some food for thought, though.

I should clarify that I'm not implying I am looking for some large building to serve as the basis for a non-traditional home, only that the actual available housing stock there in general leaves a lot to be desired, even if you're willing to spend to renovate.

Old 02-27-2016, 02:50 AM

I'm not a Millvale expert, but I always thought the housing stock on the southern hillside was nice -- up by the Croatian church with the modern paintings -- though I admit I'm not quite clear where the border line is between Millvale and Pittsburgh on that hill -- along Pittview Avenue, for example.

Btw I think this listing is adorable and the location really interesting, though it's probably a little expensive for what it is:

2803 Houston St, Pittsburgh, PA 15212 | MLS #1080112 | Zillow

Old 02-27-2016, 04:54 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
I personally adore Millvale. I moved to Pittsburgh because while I'm college-educated and white-collar by trade I have more of a blue-collar personality overall and prefer to be around more down-to-earth people rather than fellow office types who put down the working-class. A lot of people kvetch about the "poor housing stock" in Millvale (and Bloomfield, and Polish Hill, and Upper Lawrenceville). If the latter three neighborhoods are now super trendy, which they are, despite their "housing shortcomings", then why would this hold Millvale back? Millvale is actually more conveniently-located to Downtown than Upper Lawrenceville. I happen to LIKE small older wood-framed homes. Less square footage means less space for storage, which FORCES you to pare down your "stuff" to the bare essentials and makes things less stressful.

We love the Pamela's (Lincoln) Diner. The business district overall is just such a throwback to a different era.

My qualm? It's not part of the city. I'd gladly move to Etna, Sharpsburg, Millvale, Wilkinsburg, Mt. Oliver, Bellevue, Avalon, or Dormont IF they were part of the city. They're not. Psychologically being the political savant I am I would NOT be happy living somewhere where I'd have no say (vote) in CITY politics. Who cares who the borough manager of Dormont or a borough councilman in Sharpsburg is? I sure don't. I'd sure care who the mayor of Pittsburgh was if I lived in Millvale or Wilkinsburg, though.

Old 02-27-2016, 04:58 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
I'm not a Millvale expert, but I always thought the housing stock on the southern hillside was nice -- up by the Croatian church with the modern paintings -- though I admit I'm not quite clear where the border line is between Millvale and Pittsburgh on that hill -- along Pittview Avenue, for example.

Btw I think this listing is adorable and the location really interesting, though it's probably a little expensive for what it is:

2803 Houston St, Pittsburgh, PA 15212 | MLS #1080112 | Zillow
If Reserve Township is your thing, then you should certainly see the view from the aptly-named "Pittview" Avenue. You are treated with a commanding vista of Lawrenceville, Polish Hill, the Strip, and Downtown. I discovered this street by accident last week while making a delivery to a residence up there, and I was literally blown away.

2545 Pittview Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15209 | MLS #1209303 | Zillow

Look at the pictures of this home, and admire the view!

Old 02-27-2016, 06:27 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
If Reserve Township is your thing, then you should certainly see the view from the aptly-named "Pittview" Avenue. You are treated with a commanding vista of Lawrenceville, Polish Hill, the Strip, and Downtown. I discovered this street by accident last week while making a delivery to a residence up there, and I was literally blown away.

2545 Pittview Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15209 | MLS #1209303 | Zillow

Look at the pictures of this home, and admire the view!
For 400k, that has to be exactly where you want to be. That price gets you into the East End, Southside Flats, Lower North Side, Mt Lebo, Aspinwall, pretty much anywhere in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh