Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2016, 01:52 PM

831 posts, read 879,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
Would you have left your job in new york for a 50% paycut and moved to pittsburgh?
Great question!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 02:20 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
Which whole neighborhoods are young people taking over besides Oakland during the school year?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
Great question!
Missed this part did ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I moved from NYC to Shadyside, for family reasons primarily but also because my office has a progressive work allowance that permits me to work remote, and travel to NYC on occasion. Would I have made the move if I couldn't keep my NYC salary and had to take a cut down to what standard for my profession in the Burgh. I would really need to think about that. But the fact I got to keep my NYC salary, telecommute and live in a much cheaper location with better QoL, oh and it just happened to be my Hometown, it was a 'best of both worlds' deal.
Also note - I'm from Pittsburgh, always traveled home frequently as my immediate family still lives in the area, so I know what I'm getting. Second I was a bit tired of the Daily Grind and Rat Race of NYC..

Old 04-20-2016, 02:22 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,892,853 times
Quote:
The kids have figured this out ..... Which is why they're flocking here, taking over whole neighborhoods ....
Why do people keep saying this when the census shows the population shift is to the suburbs? This is not 2010.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:27 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Why do people keep saying this when the census shows the population shift is to the suburbs? This is not 2010.
There hasn't been a census since 2010

Old 04-20-2016, 02:36 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
The population that is shifting to the Burbs is the Yinzers fed up with the Progressive-ism over taking the city. A lot of Yinzers are leaving Allegheny County altogether.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:45 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
The population that is shifting to the Burbs is the Yinzers fed up with the Progressive-ism over taking the city. A lot of Yinzers are leaving Allegheny County altogether.
Sounds like you're overestimating the "Progressive-ism" and those leaving because of it. Other than some bike lanes and some safer upcoming neighborhoods, da 'burgh is just da 'burgh. People move to greener pastures. They don't leave green pastures.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:53 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,439 times
Quote:
Missed this part did ya!

Also note - I'm from Pittsburgh, always traveled home frequently as my immediate family still lives in the area, so I know what I'm getting. Second I was a bit tired of the Daily Grind and Rat Race of NYC..
And yet you still haven't answered affirmatively or negatively to the question. Even with the knowledge of knowing the lower cost of Pittsburgh and having family here, you would still be hesitant to move back here. And yet you are surprised that Uber can't get people to move to Pittsburgh? Seems kind out ironic.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:06 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
I bet Uber couldn’t get them to move to many places these days. With the crush of companies investing in driverless cars, the demand has to be through the roof for these people. You have to do more than entice them with cheaper housing when they can already afford the housing where they are. These people hold all the cards.

Also, why is public transportation an issue? Don’t Uber employees get Uber credits since they work there?

Old 04-20-2016, 03:08 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,710,487 times
Quote:
Because people don't know that, they don't know exactly how cheap a decent QOL is here being that they never experienced it. They don't know you're sacrificing so little in ways of absolute amenities but gaining so much terms of QOL.

The kids have figured this out ..... Which is why they're flocking here, taking over whole neighborhoods .... Pittsburgh is chalk full of Culture and Amenities, and they actually can afford to take advantage of it all here. Which is why they're staying here during the summer, for graduate school, after college life.

Kids, Students, Millennials are much more risk takers because they don't have anything weighing them done to move somewhere, except cost. Experienced Professionals are much more established in their location it take much more to entice them to move. They have Mortgages, Children in School, Health, Loan Payments, other commitments that weigh them down.

Then you have Uber saying Uproot your whole existence from SF to Pittsburgh for a >50% Pay cut doing the same work your doing now. With applicant probably having a somewhat outdated view of Pittsburgh, never having been here. Probably thinking your sacrificing a lot of amenities and culture moving to a city where the pay is 50% less. Just right on the surface does that offer sound appealing to you?
The assumptions on this site regarding Uber paying 50% less are silly and serve only to provide false optics for some unknown agenda. Per the article, "recruiters say the city lacks what employees are seeking". “We're struggling and fighting to find the right people,” Bares said. “If you showed me 100 of the right people, we'd hire them tomorrow.” ( the director of Uber who gave the address) That means he would make offers that financially would be competitive because he wants to hire them He also stated that he knows that once hired it is easy to lose that person because they can then be recruited away. This article was not about pay and cost of living in Pittsburgh.

The issue was and is that it is difficult to recruit to Pittsburgh and not only in the tech sector. Head hunters very frequently cannot get people to accept even the first interview, way before salary is even on the schedule for discussion. This is fact.

I just don't understand the collective thin skin and anger when an issue is what it is and it is reported. Why is it necessary to fabricate a spin to an article reporting on issues that the tech community were/are discussing. To grow and move forward, among other things, a business needs to be alert.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:15 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Per the article, "recruiters say the city lacks what employees are seeking".
You are supposed to believe what recruiters say, are you? The only alternative things they could say are:

1: The people who are hiring us need to offer higher salaries.
2: We're not very good at our jobs.

Neither of those seem like good things to say from the point of view of a recruiter looking for clients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh