Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 10:02 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
For me location is everything. I'm sure folks like SuburbanPioneer or erieguy could make the case that their neighborhoods in Cranberry Township are statistically safer, have better air quality, better public schools, etc., but how can you beat being able to step out your front door and walk to Lidia's, Row House Cinema, Arsenal Lanes, Klavon's, the Benedum, PNC Park, Piccolo Forno, the Cathedral of Learning, Penn Mac, and literally hundreds of other attractions?
Except for the major sporting event, the outer burbs have far more to offer than the city. You get better restaurants, bars, theaters, music jams, festivals, outdoor activities, etc. in the counties surrounding Allegheny without all the negatives of living in Pittsburgh.

If money was no object and I was going to actually stay in PA and I could only pick one town - Ligonier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 12:55 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Except for the major sporting event, the outer burbs have far more to offer than the city. You get better restaurants, bars, theaters,music jams, festivals, outdoor activities, etc. in the counties surrounding Allegheny without all the negatives of living in Pittsburgh.
smh

Old 05-11-2016, 04:01 AM

27 posts, read 22,407 times
I'm pretty happy with where I'm living now on the Central Northside: beautiful row houses, extremely walkable, a short bus ride or walk to downtown, close to the North Shore for sporting events and outdoor activities by the river. The Mattress Factory, Warhol Museum, Children's Museum and Carnegie Science Center are right here and the library on Federal Street is great.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:31 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,140 times
surprised nobody has said washingtons landing. definitely a different style of home but that should appeal to some people.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:39 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
You get better restaurants, bars, theaters, music jams, festivals, outdoor activities, etc. in the counties surrounding Allegheny without all the negatives of living in Pittsburgh.

If money was no object and I was going to actually stay in PA and I could only pick one town - Ligonier.
What?
Ligonier has a good restaurant and some fun outdoor activities, but it does NOT have better bars, theaters, music jams and festivals. It also has no symphony and sporting events.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:45 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Right with theta_sigma...Highland Park or North Oakland if I wanted one of the big grand houses with a yard. Those would be buying for the house but not the neighborhood amenities. If I was going the row house route, it would def be on Fisk or Main and that would def be for the things to do in Lawrenceville.
After almost two years of living in a house with a somewhat sizable back yard (compared to the concrete back yard at our old house) I have to say I think yard space is overrated and I can't wait until the kids are grown and we can downgrade again. Part of that probably has to do with the dynamics of my marriage though honestly. My wife is both a control freak and pretty indecisive. Thus she won't let me make any major decisions in terms of what to plant without her, yet she takes forever to make decisions on what to do with the garden herself. As a result it's almost all boring work - mowing, weeding, and mulching - without actually adding anything much new to the garden. Hopefully eventually I can win her over to my goal of elimination of every single bit of grass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I've never put anyone on ignore, because I don't come here for an echo chamber, but this post makes it apparent that you're a troll.
In his defense, Ligonier is one of the better small towns out in the exurbs. I'm not sure I'd say the absolute best though. I think if I had to pick somewhere to live in the outer counties, Indiana would be the least boring.

That said, the original post asked where you would live if money is no object. Most of the "hassles" of city living come down to costs, from housing prices to taxes. For example, if you're rich enough you could easily buy a big house with off-street parking in a low-crime part of the East End and be done with it. Unless you're someone who wants to have a horse farm, or just live in the woods in the middle of nowhere, there's really no advantage to living in the walkable exurban towns once you take COL out of the equation.

I will say, if we had towns in our exurbs like say West Chester in the Philly area, I'd be somewhat tempted. I dunno why that style of architecture is so rare in Western PA outside of the City of Pittsburgh.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:46 AM

595 posts, read 600,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
surprised nobody has said washingtons landing. definitely a different style of home but that should appeal to some people.
I've always overlooked this spot. Never really put much though into it, but that's actually a pretty great location.

I'd love one of the houses on Mt. Washington (preferably closer to Shiloh St) with a view. I'd also like one of the lofts in the taller buildings towards the South Side Works (e.g. The Brix) - walkable to everything, quieter part of the neighborhood, and views of downtown and Oakland.

I think a high-rise condo downtown would be pretty neat too, but I'd need a private garage (I do car stuff on weekends). I want to walk places, have some outdoor space, but don't want to have to maintain a lot of property.

I guess I have a thing for views. Something about being able to have a beer outside while staring at the city is my version of a bonfire beneath the stars.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Before you joined this site there was another troll that was banned. I'm starting to believe this is his second account and is posting sporadically to avoid getting banned again.
I don't think so. Zman had a major boner for Columbus, it's true, and Mr. Bear also likes to talk up Ohio. But if I remember correctly, Zman was politically left (he went on and on about how we needed a city-county merger) while Mr. Bear complains about taxes and seems to be a right winger.

Also, Zman had worse spelling and punctuation. I don't agree with Mr. Bear, but he writes at a fairly high grade level.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lprmesia View Post
I've always overlooked this spot. Never really put much though into it, but that's actually a pretty great location.

I'd love one of the houses on Mt. Washington (preferably closer to Shiloh St) with a view. I'd also like one of the lofts in the taller buildings towards the South Side Works (e.g. The Brix) - walkable to everything, quieter part of the neighborhood, and views of downtown and Oakland.

I think a high-rise condo downtown would be pretty neat too, but I'd need a private garage (I do car stuff on weekends). I want to walk places, have some outdoor space, but don't want to have to maintain a lot of property.

I guess I have a thing for views. Something about being able to have a beer outside while staring at the city is my version of a bonfire beneath the stars.
There was a great house on the market in Mount Washington the other week. I almost wished it was available when I was looking, because I would have seriously considered it due to the proximity to Shiloh and unusually low levels of remuddling for a Mount Washington house. Certainly not my dream house, but damn good for the area.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:12 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,920,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I don't think so. Zman had a major boner for Columbus, it's true, and Mr. Bear also likes to talk up Ohio. But if I remember correctly, Zman was politically left (he went on and on about how we needed a city-county merger) while Mr. Bear complains about taxes and seems to be a right winger.

Also, Zman had worse spelling and punctuation. I don't agree with Mr. Bear, but he writes at a fairly high grade level.
I wasn't referring to Zman, I meant Pghdude28. The two have writing styles that are identical and both have a hard on for sun belt cities, particularly Charlotte. Zman was in love with Ohio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh