Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 07:17 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times

Advertisements

Interesting read & covers Pittsburgh
https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation...-town-must-die
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 07:27 AM

994 posts, read 901,136 times
Pretty much confirms lists like these are bs.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:48 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,791 times
Thought it was a good read that made some good points. I was hoping he would touch a bit more on the sustainability and longer term economics of the food scene. The local food scene screams bubble to me right now, despite how much I enjoy it. Not everyone has the bankroll to go to these places night in and night out, spending $100 or more on a meal and drinks for two. Something has to give at some point.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:53 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,140 times
this is a pretty good read. so basically pittsburgh is riding trends of other cities. not really a bad thing, though. i think severinos quote was pretty good when he said you can't expect to find SF cuisines here for cheaper prices. yeah it is new to pittsburgh, but you will be disappointed coming from other places and end up paying just as much.

i also thought the description of the town in the opening was pretty funny as it is spot on l'ville. also the different & restaurants all opening next to each other, ala potatoes

Old 05-12-2016, 07:57 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Thought it was a good read that made some good points. I was hoping he would touch a bit more on the sustainability and longer term economics of the food scene. The local food scene screams bubble to me right now, despite how much I enjoy it. Not everyone has the bankroll to go to these places night in and night out, spending $100 or more on a meal and drinks for two. Something has to give at some point.
restaurants have a pretty poor success rate. i think we will see more restaurants riding the trend scene and then fading away. the really successful will be those that not only capture the "foodie" audience but also appeal to the regular restaurateurs of the burgh. i think this is why m&p has been so successful. they established a brand and have been able to carry this across each of their restaurants. big burrito as well. even though they have some mediocre offerings they have an established brand among the city and suburb locations. someone from north hills is more than happy to come down to a show and hit eleven based on having mad mex in their own suburb.

the contrast is place like quiet storm and others that really have a niche audience. plus the fact that the owners aren't the most financial savvy makes it tough for those kind of places.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:15 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
There's a bunch of things I hate about foodie culture, which that article only lightly touches upon.

One is that it's become widely socially acceptable and "hip" to base your adult identity around consumption, so long as it is literal consumption. People older than teenagers who care about things like brand-name clothing tend to be widely derided. Ditto for grown people who spend a lot of time buying expensive consumer products just for the cache, who are often considered superficial snobs. But when we're discussing food, it suddenly becomes acceptable.

The second reason is...foodie food is often boring, even if it tastes good.

Back when I was in my 20s, I knew people who were super-adventurous in terms of food. They were always out to try something new. When they traveled abroad, they always attempted to find the local cuisine. They liked going to China and eating deep-fried scorpion, for example. On in the U.S. context, if you told them you found this great Ghanan restaurant in DC, they'd be there in a hot minute. But a lot of modern foodie culture seems to be a variant on a few boring palates. Often it's either a high-class (read expensive) form of traditional American food, or else Spanish or Italian based. it doesn't tend to be very spicy, and except in a few areas (like the recent trend towards offal) it isn't really stuff the traditional American would be grossed out by.

Finally, much of the food doesn't seem to be so much cooked as it is assembled. The chefs style themselves more as "curators" - meaning most of the work goes into finding top notch-ingredients, and little into preparation. This is like saying you're an amazing painter because you work with the best locally-sourced paint. Art should be about the process, not the raw materials.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:28 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
There's a bunch of things I hate about foodie culture, which that article only lightly touches upon.

One is that it's become widely socially acceptable and "hip" to base your adult identity around consumption, so long as it is literal consumption. People older than teenagers who care about things like brand-name clothing tend to be widely derided. Ditto for grown people who spend a lot of time buying expensive consumer products just for the cache, who are often considered superficial snobs. But when we're discussing food, it suddenly becomes acceptable.

The second reason is...foodie food is often boring, even if it tastes good.

Back when I was in my 20s, I knew people who were super-adventurous in terms of food. They were always out to try something new. When they traveled abroad, they always attempted to find the local cuisine. They liked going to China and eating deep-fried scorpion, for example. On in the U.S. context, if you told them you found this great Ghanan restaurant in DC, they'd be there in a hot minute. But a lot of modern foodie culture seems to be a variant on a few boring palates. Often it's either a high-class (read expensive) form of traditional American food, or else Spanish or Italian based. it doesn't tend to be very spicy, and except in a few areas (like the recent trend towards offal) it isn't really stuff the traditional American would be grossed out by.

Finally, much of the food doesn't seem to be so much cooked as it is assembled. The chefs style themselves more as "curators" - meaning most of the work goes into finding top notch-ingredients, and little into preparation. This is like saying you're an amazing painter because you work with the best locally-sourced paint. Art should be about the process, not the raw materials.
I think you've hit on a few valid critiques of New American restaurant culture. That said,I think a lot of people tend to conflate being a foodie with being a restaurant snob. True foodies are more likely to be eating at ethnic holes in the wall then restaurants with molecular gastronomy and chefs tasting menus.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:42 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Eschaton, I think the foodies are self-identifying by their interests and activities rather than by consuming a brand.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:13 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Eschaton, I think the foodies are self-identifying by their interests and activities rather than by consuming a brand.
I admit foodie culture isn't mostly brand conscious (though it sometimes is - see how people follow a top chef or even his acolytes to new eateries). But it still strikes me as a bit crass to define a major portion of who you are by what you buy.

I mean, lots of hobbies require money to be spent in some manner. If you want to be a cyclist, for example, you need a bike. But it doesn't need to be a top-of-the line bike with all the bells and whistles - it can be a beater you buy for $30 on Craigslist. You can even get one for free from a friend, or by volunteering at Free Ride.

Of course, people who enjoy going out to eat can do so at many different price points. But in order to enjoy it, you need to spend money - and spend it repeatedly, given all the good food goes down your hole every meal. The only real exception is if you decide to become a hobbyist farmer.

Regardless, we should remember that the amount of true self-defined "foodies" is probably relatively slim. I've met a few in my life, but I think for the most part it's a label like hipster, yuppie, and bro we tend to apply to people we don't know. The problem isn't so much that people occasionally dabble in the subculture, it's aspects of the subculture in and of itself.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:18 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I admit foodie culture isn't mostly brand conscious (though it sometimes is - see how people follow a top chef or even his acolytes to new eateries). But it still strikes me as a bit crass to define a major portion of who you are by what you buy.

I mean, lots of hobbies require money to be spent in some manner. If you want to be a cyclist, for example, you need a bike. But it doesn't need to be a top-of-the line bike with all the bells and whistles - it can be a beater you buy for $30 on Craigslist. You can even get one for free from a friend, or by volunteering at Free Ride.

Of course, people who enjoy going out to eat can do so at many different price points. But in order to enjoy it, you need to spend money - and spend it repeatedly, given all the good food goes down your hole every meal. The only real exception is if you decide to become a hobbyist farmer.

Regardless, we should remember that the amount of true self-defined "foodies" is probably relatively slim. I've met a few in my life, but I think for the most part it's a label like hipster, yuppie, and bro we tend to apply to people we don't know. The problem isn't so much that people occasionally dabble in the subculture, it's aspects of the subculture in and of itself.

Couldn't it be a bit crass to define a major portion of who you are by what you DON'T buy? People suck for liking expensive food, and people suck for saying people suck for liking expensive food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh