Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 12:52 AM

13,286 posts, read 8,463,474 times

Advertisements

Not "all"'of PA.

I wouldn't let one city determine the state.

Pitt has a different breed of business and family (community).

Sorry that folks weren't welcoming. it's not a national problem as I toured the Midwest and the pacific states, each region had its ways.., it's all in how they are raised. Manners can be taught anywhere.

Old 05-22-2016, 01:53 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,914,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane46 View Post
Hi. My family recently moved to PA from North Carolina for my husband's job. I like the area where we live (Cranberry) so far, but one thing I've noticed is that many people seem to lack basic social skills and etiquette.
Cranberry is a pretty vanilla section of PA and not really like Pittsburgh in look or feel.

The Pittsburgh thing is friendly, blunt, and loyal.

Quote:
Many sales clerks barely say hello, and several have acted sort of awkward when I tried to make simple conversation with them. In the south, everybody talks to everybody. We say hello to strangers, and they say hello right back.
You're expecting someone working part time for close to minimum wage to actually be happy to see you?

In the NE everybody doesn't talk to everybody. In fact that holds true for just about every other area not called the south.

Not to mention younger kids these days seem to be more socially awkward in general.

Quote:
Along the same lines, hardly ANYBODY says "excuse me".
This is mainly manners or lack there of, but you're kidding yourself if you think a lot of people in the south say "excuse me" because they don't.

Quote:
Can someone please explain if this is a Cranberry/Pittsburgh thing, or is all of PA like this?
It's a northeastern thing.

Oh, and one tip: If/when you go downtown Pittsburgh look out for that Pittsburgh Left (custom to allow the 1st oncoming car to turn in front of you after the light changes).

Old 05-22-2016, 02:06 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,759,909 times
Does anybody else find it ironic that somebody who phrases a question in the most inflammatory way possible has the brass to criticize other people's social skills?

Old 05-22-2016, 05:51 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,549,057 times
There's a noticeable difference between Southern manners and those in Pittsburgh. When I first moved to Florida, a native there said she found yankees rude and bizarrely aggressive. I didn't see it. When I first returned to Pittsburgh, I saw it.

You get used to it.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:00 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,807,420 times
I do not feel that at all. I feel that people in Pittsburgh are so friendly, mannerly and decent.I work with someone who lives in Cranberry and she is the most materialistic person I have ever come across in Pittsburgh.

That being said, it is very hard to make friends here. Many people have been here for generations and still have their extended families here. It is very like Ireland in that way. People ask where your family are from, and then they try to see if they know them. I noticed that in the dentist and doctors office lately.

I really do like the Pittsburgh people. They are helpful, friendly and hard working.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:00 AM

20 posts, read 20,630 times
Cranberry is full of yuppie/desperate housewives types and rednecks. So you get the two terrible sections of humanity in one area, personality wise.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:10 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,886,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebster85 View Post
Cranberry is full of yuppie/desperate housewives types and rednecks. So you get the two terrible sections of humanity in one area, personality wise.
There be dragons up there too I've heard tale of

Old 05-22-2016, 08:14 AM

778 posts, read 840,660 times
As a lifelong Pittsburgher with family here married to someone else with family here, it's not that I mistrust or don't like "outsiders" it's just that most of my social needs and (more importantly) available free time to be social are taken up by family obligations, get-togethers, etc.... I think that's the story behind a lot of the much-discussed Pittsburgh insularity. There's only so many hours in a day. If I've got to see my mom, have dinner with my in-laws and visit my husband's aunt in the old folks home all in one weekend, I just don't have time or the energy (i'm an introvert) to seek out other friends to hang out with in my non existent free time. Basically, if you've got a lot of local family that you are close with, they tend to kind of replace friends just due to logistics, not unfriendliness.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:17 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,886,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theta_sigma View Post
As a lifelong Pittsburgher with family here married to someone else with family here, it's not that I mistrust or don't like "outsiders" it's just that most of my social needs and (more importantly) available free time to be social are taken up by family obligations, get-togethers, etc.... I think that's the story behind a lot of the much-discussed Pittsburgh insularity. There's only so many hours in a day. If I've got to see my mom, have dinner with my in-laws and visit my husband's aunt in the old folks home all in one weekend, I just don't have time or the energy (i'm an introvert) to seek out other friends to hang out with in my non existent free time. Basically, if you've got a lot of local family that you are close with, they tend to kind of replace friends just due to logistics, not unfriendliness.
From my experience this pretty much nails it

Old 05-22-2016, 08:22 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,458,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebster85 View Post
I know! it also has a small sect of people who stereotype entire areas into something they see on tv, call everyone that is slightly different 'terrible', and believe they are so far above the rest on the enlightenment/humanity/self awareness scale that the sheer irony or it will drive you back south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh