Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 03:07 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSantoRules View Post
Not sure how accurate this is, but Post-Gazette has 88. Can search from 2008 to present.

Homicide: Pittsburgh and Allegheny County
There are 58 homicides year-to-date for the city, including the woman just slain in the East Hills and the man whose death in a stairwell Downtown during a burglary was just ruled a homicide.

There were 60 homicides in 2015 in the city. I'm hoping we can stay under that number this year.

Interestingly enough, Zone 2 (Downtown/Uptown/Hill District/Polish Hill/Strip District/Lawrenceville) has only had 1 homicide this year. I can't remember the last year the tally was that low. The Hill District must be gentrifying more rapidly than I thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 04:28 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,458,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
There are 58 homicides year-to-date for the city, including the woman just slain in the East Hills and the man whose death in a stairwell Downtown during a burglary was just ruled a homicide.

There were 60 homicides in 2015 in the city. I'm hoping we can stay under that number this year.

Interestingly enough, Zone 2 (Downtown/Uptown/Hill District/Polish Hill/Strip District/Lawrenceville) has only had 1 homicide this year. I can't remember the last year the tally was that low. The Hill District must be gentrifying more rapidly than I thought.
or they are just becoming worse shots, since i still read about a shooting there every other week.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:41 AM

1,901 posts, read 4,381,571 times
Quote:
Nearly over 24 hours and 1 dead 3 injured in two Northside Shootings: 1 OF 3 SHOT IN FINEVIEW PRONOUNCED DECEASED & NON-FATAL SHOOTING IN PERRY SOUTH (Central Northside) UNDER INVESTIGATION... Less than 12 hours 1 dead two injured in 3 outer East End Shootings: FATAL EAST HILLS SHOOTING UNDER INVESTIGATION, MALE SHOT DURING EAST HILLS HOME INVASION, NON-FATAL SHOOTING IN LINCOLN-LEMINGTON.
What will happen next?
Since Friday: 3 dead & 6 injured - in less than one week within America's "Most Livable City"
The list keeps growing and homicide count is rising... reported shootings since my last posting:
MALE FATALLY SHOT IN SHERADEN
NON-FATAL SHOOTING IN LINCOLN-LEMINGTON

Old 12-21-2016, 09:15 AM

271 posts, read 332,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Since Friday: 3 dead & 6 injured - in less than one week within America's "Most Livable City"
The list keeps growing and homicide count is rising... reported shootings since my last posting:
The one in Sheraden is particularly disheartening, as reporting indicates the victim was a honor roll student at Brashear. The Trib's lede referred to him as "a college-bound honors student" and it happened at 3:45 in the afternoon.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:52 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Yeah but isn't this considered a pretty good year as far as our city is concerned? Isn't Pittsburgh considered safe compared to many like cities? I am not following crime much anymore, but the numbers seem pretty darn low.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:00 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,961,359 times
Quote:
The one in Sheraden is particularly disheartening, as reporting indicates the victim was a honor roll student at Brashear. The Trib's lede referred to him as "a college-bound honors student" and it happened at 3:45 in the afternoon.
This is very sad on the surface. Although this young man was a college bound honor roll student he was playing both sides of the fence. One look at his FB page shows that this young man had gang affiliation. I warn young men about this often. You cannot involve yourself with others that are not on the same path. It will be your downfall. In this case this young man lost his life.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:39 AM

271 posts, read 332,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
This is very sad on the surface. Although this young man was a college bound honor roll student he was playing both sides of the fence. One look at his FB page shows that this young man had gang affiliation. I warn young men about this often. You cannot involve yourself with others that are not on the same path. It will be your downfall. In this case this young man lost his life.
Thanks for clarifying -- I figured there had to be more to the story. Neither the Post Gazette nor Trib has made mention of this in their write-ups.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:19 AM
gg

Quote:
Neither the Post Gazette nor Trib has made mention of this in their write-ups.
Um, news people wouldn't dare tell the real story on that one because it would lead to someone being fired. Remember Wendy Bell? "Honor student" is enough. I tried to look him up on Facebook, but came up empty. 17 years old. Sure is sad.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:50 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,458,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

Where do you find those numbers,
and why does the PG report so many more? are they just braggin?

And to gg, I dont know how accurate this article is from 2015 but doesn't seem taht Pittsburgh is nearly as safe of a city as we like to think

Big Cities With The Highest Murder Rates

St. Louis, Missouri 49.91
Detroit, Michigan 43.52
New Orleans, Louisiana 38.75
Baltimore, Maryland 33.84
Newark, New Jersey 33.32
Buffalo, New York 23.22
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 22.43
Memphis, Tennessee 21.38
Atlanta, Georgia 20.47
Cincinati, Ohio 20.16

Now when I see murder rate, and compare it to places like say houston i dont think it is a super fair comparison.

what i mean is, they just call everything houston, if we did that everywhere from jeannette to wexford would be considered pittsburgh.
And while this of course would raise the number of homicides, it would significantly lower the 'murder rate' because..well people kill each other a lot more in the city than they do in the suburbs.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:14 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
And to gg, I dont know how accurate this article is from 2015 but doesn't seem taht Pittsburgh is nearly as safe of a city as we like to think

Big Cities With The Highest Murder Rates

St. Louis, Missouri 49.91
Detroit, Michigan 43.52
New Orleans, Louisiana 38.75
Baltimore, Maryland 33.84
Newark, New Jersey 33.32
Buffalo, New York 23.22
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 22.43
Memphis, Tennessee 21.38
Atlanta, Georgia 20.47
Cincinati, Ohio 20.16

Now when I see murder rate, and compare it to places like say houston i dont think it is a super fair comparison.

what i mean is, they just call everything houston, if we did that everywhere from jeannette to wexford would be considered pittsburgh.
And while this of course would raise the number of homicides, it would significantly lower the 'murder rate' because..well people kill each other a lot more in the city than they do in the suburbs.
I think Pittsburgh is pretty darn safe compared to a lot of cities. Maybe due to how tiny our city population is compared to other cities, it makes is seem like we are like Detroit or St. Louis? Not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh