Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2016, 01:17 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
No.

erieguy strikes me as a craft beer kind of guy who listens to Mark Madden and shakes his fist at kids on his manicured suburban lawn 20 years earlier than he should be doing it.

gg strikes me as a fancy imported bourbon kind of guy who shakes his first at SUV's that get in the way of his European sports sedan on Route 28.
Some people would classify us the same. Just another white person. They are all alike. That is how I read the post. What else is new? Easy to just throw labels on things, it makes life easier than actually thinking. Enjoy.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:43 PM

436 posts, read 343,522 times
I can't believe how complicated people make this: Wendy Bell has a penchant for letting her personal feelings bleed in to her reporting. She had NO BUSINESS stating what she did. It doesn't matter if what she said was right, wrong, or indifferent. She was employed as reporter/anchor/journalist. Not a criminal profiler. She was way out of line. Period.

Just like every other company that gets sued, I'm sure WTAE will cave and pay her something. I'm sure she won't get her job back.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:04 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,224,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8YearsinPittsburgh View Post
I can't believe how complicated people make this: Wendy Bell has a penchant for letting her personal feelings bleed in to her reporting. She had NO BUSINESS stating what she did. It doesn't matter if what she said was right, wrong, or indifferent. She was employed as reporter/anchor/journalist. Not a criminal profiler. She was way out of line. Period.

Just like every other company that gets sued, I'm sure WTAE will cave and pay her something. I'm sure she won't get her job back.
Every other company that gets sued and pays something, usually does so for good reason. They know they're wrong, going to lose, etc...

In wtae's case, there may also be some skeletons in the closet.

Old 06-27-2016, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Every other company that gets sued and pays something, usually does so for good reason.
And that good reason is because they know an attorney will rip them up and down, so it's easier just to settle and get the situation past them. There's no way Wendy Bell will get her job back.

Old 06-27-2016, 04:10 PM

Wondering if any of you have seen this. It's amazing how she is throwing her "tv husband" under the bus

https://assets.documentcloud.org/doc...ll-Lawsuit.pdf

Old 06-27-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
And that good reason is because they know an attorney will rip them up and down, so it's easier just to settle and get the situation past them. There's no way Wendy Bell will get her job back.
Yep, but they can only get ripped up and down if there's reason to do so. They shouldn't have fired her and wtae wouldn't be in this possible scenario.

Old 06-27-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Wondering if any of you have seen this. It's amazing how she is throwing her "tv husband" under the bus

https://assets.documentcloud.org/doc...ll-Lawsuit.pdf
One can blame wtae for the blaming. I expect their legal department didn't see these kinds of accusations coming.

Old 06-27-2016, 05:09 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
Quote:
Wendy Bell has a penchant for letting her personal feelings bleed in to her reporting.
Are you saying news should be indifferent? No opinions or agendas? What are you saying here and if you can tell me some news channel that has "news" and not agenda filled hype along with a completely slanted news delivery please tell me what channel to tune into. Wendy is the same as any news channel. She has an opinion and so does all news in our country. Ever watch CNN? FOX? What about NPR, talk about an agenda!

People don't like successful white people these days and she is just an example of another white person falling victim to the mass attack on the "white privilege", "rich white" or whatever people call someone like her. People live to see someone like her fall. She really said nothing wrong. Many black people also feel she said nothing wrong.

Wonder who is telling the truth here?

The lawsuit noted Bell was fired March 30, the same day of a meeting between WTAE management and members of the Pittsburgh Black Media Federation, and the station announced the firing to the media before notifying Bell.

The federation leaders said they did not meet with management until after Bell's firing and did not call for her employment to end.

Did the Federation call for her termination or not?

Old 06-28-2016, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Are you saying news should be indifferent? No opinions or agendas? What are you saying here and if you can tell me some news channel that has "news" and not agenda filled hype along with a completely slanted news delivery please tell me what channel to tune into. Wendy is the same as any news channel. She has an opinion and so does all news in our country. Ever watch CNN? FOX? What about NPR, talk about an agenda!

People don't like successful white people these days and she is just an example of another white person falling victim to the mass attack on the "white privilege", "rich white" or whatever people call someone like her. People live to see someone like her fall. She really said nothing wrong. Many black people also feel she said nothing wrong.

Wonder who is telling the truth here?

The lawsuit noted Bell was fired March 30, the same day of a meeting between WTAE management and members of the Pittsburgh Black Media Federation, and the station announced the firing to the media before notifying Bell.

The federation leaders said they did not meet with management until after Bell's firing and did not call for her employment to end.

Did the Federation call for her termination or not?

The Federation has stated numerous times they did not call for her to be fired, and has stated there were other ways to handle the situation.

Just to be clear, I'm white.

I've known Wendy Bell and a number of WTAE personalities for close to ten years. From the time WTAE created their first Facebook page, she has taken the whole social media thing way too far. When the stations page was first created, she would often seek out and get in to verbal battles with viewers when they would make rude or disparaging comments. This behavior continued when she and many others were given their own Facebook page with their name and the company moniker and logo on it. If anyone should know the impact of social media, it should be her.

You say she did nothing wrong...........I work for a Fortune 50 company here in Pittsburgh. It's undeniably one of the most recognizable names in the United States. One of the first things you are told in training in a company of this magnitude is, you are always representing us. I don't list my employers name in any of my social media profiles other than LinkedIn. I don't even engage in discussions with others on my company's Facebook page, although it is hard to resist. However, i GUARANTEE, GUARANTEE if I had my employers name on my Facebook profile and made the same comments in a mass public discussion, someone would notice who I work for and would find a way to contact my company and I'm sure the end result would be my firing. I'm certain of it.

One thing is for certain in this region, and I'll include Erie Guy, assuming he is from Erie.........people in Western Pennsylvania have a poor understanding, or just plain ignore being smart about what you say in public. You greatly mistake the difference between freedom of speech and abiding by employers rules, policies, and beliefs.

Old 06-28-2016, 05:21 AM

I'd wager yours and Wendy Bell's job descriptions are apples and oranges...and opinions vary on whether she should've been fired.

All that and if you simply looked at my listed location you'd know where I'm from.

Last edited by erieguy; 06-28-2016 at 05:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh