Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 09:19 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times

Advertisements

Looks like it is possible this bill could actually pass. Local police could actually bust people for speeding if they can use radar.

Pa. local police hope to use radar | TribLIVE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 09:24 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,200 times
Once upon a time I thought this would be a horrible encroachment on my freedom. Then I moved to the city 4.5 years ago and witnessed a boatload of people nearly get crushed on narrow residential streets by people doing twice the limit. Now I welcome this.

Unfortunately, I don't have high hopes that it will do much on the side streets anywhere, and probably not on the main streets in the City of Pittsburgh as the cops don't have time for traffic-related stuff anyway. This will end up being helpful to a select few municipalities with speeding problems but otherwise low crime and will end up being a revenue generator for far more municipalities with a lot of pass-through traffic.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:12 PM

146 posts, read 296,964 times
I hope it doesn't pass, and that they raise speed limits instead.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:20 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,053,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerunner View Post
I hope it doesn't pass, and that they raise speed limits instead.
Fae, do you want to elaborate?

I ask because I think things have gotten insane. Last weekend, I was almost knocked off my bike by a woman in a minivan that felt she had to squeeze in front of me to be first in line...at full speed...at a red light. The same day, I saw a girl driver fly through an intersection (on a green) with her head looking down into a cell phone.

People are more careless now than ever. Comforts of modern automobiles have made people lazy and have compromised their attention and alertness.

I had an aunt who was hit by a car - she was on the sidewalk. The driver did not negotiate the turn and cute the corner with a huge arc. The nerve of my aunt taking up space on the sidewalk.

I do not hold pedestrians and bicyclists as faultless - not at all.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:24 AM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
The local police departments have been trying to get radar for decades. The PSP always opposes it. Has that changed? Enough small departments have LIDAR/VASCAR traps that radar isn't really needed.

Pennsylvania Speed Traps | The National Speed Trap Exchange

Old 07-18-2016, 11:29 AM

595 posts, read 600,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Fae, do you want to elaborate?

I ask because I think things have gotten insane. Last weekend, I was almost knocked off my bike by a woman in a minivan that felt she had to squeeze in front of me to be first in line...at full speed...at a red light. The same day, I saw a girl driver fly through an intersection (on a green) with her head looking down into a cell phone.

People are more careless now than ever. Comforts of modern automobiles have made people lazy and have compromised their attention and alertness.

I had an aunt who was hit by a car - she was on the sidewalk. The driver did not negotiate the turn and cute the corner with a huge arc. The nerve of my aunt taking up space on the sidewalk.

I do not hold pedestrians and bicyclists as faultless - not at all.
While I sympathize, the speed limit doesn't appear to be the culprit in these situations. These all appear to be reckless drivers who could and would still be cited by a police officer. Good drivers can handle higher speed limits due to increases in automobile functionality (specifically braking and cornering abilities).

Anecdotally though (I could be wrong), it seems that there are too many bad drivers and not enough good ones. Some of the people I see driving I truly question how they passed. Then again, I think it couldn't hurt to have a longer written test that actually has more of the driving laws, and have driving tests done with increased frequency (instead of at the time a license is issued and after 65). With the increased speed limits up to 70 on the Turnpike and I-80, it's amazing how many people still drive 62 MPH in the left lane with no one in front of them or to the right of them. And don't get me started on lack of turn signals...

Old 07-18-2016, 05:34 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Allowing local police to use radar will do nothing but ensure that every little ****hole borough or township lucky enough to win the highway lottery will lower their speed limits and use a radar gun to balance their municipal budgets. Consider me vehemently opposed.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:04 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,200,791 times
Sounds like a great idea, especially with all of the talk about speeding...and it will be easier to hold up the offense in Court should the violator protest it.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:57 PM

106 posts, read 218,275 times
[quote=lprmesia;44802238]While I sympathize, the speed limit doesn't appear to be the culprit in these situations. These all appear to be reckless drivers who could and would still be cited by a police officer. Good drivers can handle higher speed limits due to increases in automobile functionality (specifically braking and cornering abilities).

Anecdotally though (I could be wrong), it seems that there are too many bad drivers and not enough good ones. Some of the people I see driving I truly question how they passed. Then again, I think it couldn't hurt to have a longer written test that actually has more of the driving laws, and have driving tests done with increased frequency (instead of at the time a license is issued and after 65). With the increased speed limits up to 70 on the Turnpike and I-80, it's amazing how many people still drive 62 MPH in the left lane with no one in front of them or to the right of them. And don't get me started on lack of turn signals...[/QUOTE]

ugggghhh, this is my biggest pet peeve among local driving nuances. Just because u can make it safely doesn't mean you don't owe other drivers riders and peds courtesy! Seems like it is getting worse by the year. Could be the entitled attitude of my fellow millennials... sorry, speed traps suck too

Old 07-19-2016, 05:49 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,404,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Allowing local police to use radar will do nothing but ensure that every little ****hole borough or township lucky enough to win the highway lottery will lower their speed limits and use a radar gun to balance their municipal budgets. Consider me vehemently opposed.
Just so you're aware, the borough or townships don't really make any money off of speeding tickets.

I spoke with our police chief and he told me they (the township) gets a fixed $15 for the citation. The rest of the money goes up the ladder (County & State). By time they send the officer to the court house and all the time/fuel expended they don't really make anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh