Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 10:00 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times

Advertisements

Agreement clears the way for start of Strip District project | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 10:08 AM

110 posts, read 80,062 times
Ignoring the Post-Gazette comment trolls, I think this looks like a potentially great new move for the city. The seem to have taken a long time to develop the broader plan for the area, and it will go a long way to removing bland, ugly, and environmentally challenging acres of parking lots. Thoughts?

Old 07-28-2016, 10:58 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
I believe we are excited that SOMETHING is happening there. But imagine when it is complete - I think it will be a big disappointment, or at least eventually seen as ordinary and unimpressive (the way some might see the EQT Building and Plaza, a place I love).

The Strip along Waterfront Drive and Railroad Street is envisioned to become full of large, one-block long buildings. The realities of an investment and profit are not lost on me - developers are in it to make money, not create a Martha's Vinyard on the Allegheny River...

But I was hoping there would be some space reserved for a village type development, maybe akin to the residential units on the north side of the Allegheny, along the trail. Also, some type of circulator bus going from 11th all the way up to Doughboy Square for residents. And, more human scale development between the big structures, with a patchwork of green spaces for lunch hour respite. Maybe that can still happen, further up closer to 31st Street.

I'm thinking that this Buncher project is another part in creating a version of Chantilly, VA, which is all about housing cars, moving cars, and parking cars. Necessary, sure, but there IS a point where its too much. I fear that the Strip is going that way.

By the way, I'm not the Southside Slopes guy. I've seen him post in the PG comments time and time again - he usually infuriates me.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
I'm thinking that this Buncher project is another part in creating a version of Chantilly, VA, which is all about housing cars, moving cars, and parking cars. Necessary, sure, but there IS a point where its too much. I fear that the Strip is going that way.

By the way, I'm not the Southside Slopes guy. I've seen him post in the PG comments time and time again - he usually infuriates me.
That is also my biggest fear. Other cities have been struggling with getting the relationship/prominence of cars just right (for a similar-sized city comparison, look at Cincinnati. They've had lots of hits and misses). And I'm glad I've found someone else who despises "southsideslopes" on the PG. I used to live in the slopes and I always feel like he gives that area a bad name, it's nice and most of the people are too!

Old 07-28-2016, 12:01 PM

969 posts, read 772,376 times
Is there a final design that was published? I didn't see anything on the developers site.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:17 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
My thoughts on him are the same as you two. Come to think of it, I have never seen him post a single positive comment about ANY development that happens in the area. I can't figure out what he wants besides just to cause trouble.

Has anyone seen the comments on the PG story about the cap over 579? They're even worse!
http://www.post-gazette.com/business...e/201607260194

Last edited by bradjl2009; 07-28-2016 at 12:26 PM..

Old 07-28-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
My thoughts on him are the same as you two. Come to think of it, I have never seen him post a single positive comment about ANY development that happens in the area. I can't figure out what he wants besides just to cause trouble.

Has anyone seen the comments on the PG story about the cap over 579? They're even worse!
Officials to announce $19 million grant to reconnect Hill District, Downtown | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
I had to stop reading them. So much anger and so little attempt to understand why this might be a worthwhile investment.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:06 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzer93 View Post
I had to stop reading them. So much anger and so little attempt to understand why this might be a worthwhile investment.
Doesn't a certain political subset realize if we didn't get this grant, it would have just gone to another city so instead of our federal tax dollars going to our city, they would go to Denver or wherever. This is a low cost project compared to many transportation projects.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:07 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
Is there a final design that was published? I didn't see anything on the developers site.
This was the last master plan publicly released. The residential section isn't horrible, but the commercial section (which is to be built later) has a disturbing amount of surface parking, considering it's only a few blocks from Downtown.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Doesn't a certain political subset realize if we didn't get this grant, it would have just gone to another city so instead of our federal tax dollars going to our city, they would go to Denver or wherever. This is a low cost project compared to many transportation projects.
Exactly. If you want to play the "we paid for it" game, then realize it is money already promised! We might as well get it here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh