Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 07:16 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
This may surprise you but much has changed since decades ago at the bar. How often do you patronize the bar these days?
Considering it's in western Massachusetts, and it was close to 15 years ago? Not much of course.

Still, despite being a lame dad in my 30s now, I go to bars still on occasion. Brillobox has a projector which plays "classic" film and TV. Last time I was in there I saw part of a Macguyver episode. Haven't seen a sports game there once. I don't remember ever seeing sports on the TVs at Belvideres either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 07:27 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
While I can see the attraction it's not like people chat on their phones at bars. If someone I'm not with is texting, checking Facebook, reading the news, etc on their phone at the bar all night it doesn't really have any effect on me either way. Of course I don't go to the bar to socialize with strangers either.
Yeah. I get wanting a non sports bar. They can be loud. Can't get my mind around caring about what strangers are quietly doing.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:28 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,791 times
Quote:
This may surprise you but much has changed since decades ago at the bar. How often do you patronize the bar these days?
You're right, and a lot has changed in the last 5 years, too. Heard of the craft cocktail scene? Have you been to Acacia? Or Tender? How about the Allegheny Wine Mixer?

All of these places survive without TVs. In fact, they thrive due to their atmosphere, and no tv's is a big part of that. To open a specialty bar where no cell phone use was also part of the allure or atmosphere would thrive in a place like Lawrenceville or East Liberty. It may not last forever, as no trend does, but today, right now, such a bar would do very well if it was done right.

But I must not know...you know?

Old 08-09-2016, 07:43 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
You're right, and a lot has changed in the last 5 years, too. Heard of the craft cocktail scene? Have you been to Acacia? Or Tender? How about the Allegheny Wine Mixer?

All of these places survive without TVs. In fact, they thrive due to their atmosphere, and no tv's is a big part of that. To open a specialty bar where no cell phone use was also part of the allure or atmosphere would thrive in a place like Lawrenceville or East Liberty. It may not last forever, as no trend does, but today, right now, such a bar would do very well if it was done right.

But I must not know...you know?
Considering the model is no tv's AND cell phones, what are the chances of them surviving without both?

Old 08-09-2016, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Considering it's in western Massachusetts, and it was close to 15 years ago? Not much of course.

Still, despite being a lame dad in my 30s now, I go to bars still on occasion. Brillobox has a projector which plays "classic" film and TV. Last time I was in there I saw part of a Macguyver episode. Haven't seen a sports game there once. I don't remember ever seeing sports on the TVs at Belvideres either.
And no cell phones, also?

Old 08-09-2016, 07:53 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Of course I don't go to the bar to socialize with strangers either.
You would hate some of the bars in the country I go to. People often just discuss craft beer, traveling and other general topics. One time I was there and someone at the bar had some smoked trout they wanted people to try and we discussed that. I didn't know anyone there, but it was nice. Most people don't bother with cellphones while sitting there and no brain drain TV's of course.

Bars like this are NOT for everyone. They are not even for the masses. They are for people that want to get away from media for a while. Who knows, without cellphones taping everyone, maybe some folks might even dance. No, that will probably not happen. Those days are long gone.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:00 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
And no cell phones, also?
I've never noticed it. I mean, bars are usually somewhat loud because music is playing, which isn't conducive to phone conversation. If people have calls, they typically step outside. People text in bars, but seldom talk on phones.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:54 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,901,166 times
The Speakeasy in the Omni has no tv's.. and given that its in the basement, I doubt people could get good reception anyway. The times I've been there, it struck me as a decidedly non-cell-phone place. Also one of the few places to serve absinthe.

If you haven't been there, you may like it gg.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:38 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
How often would you patronize the establishment and how much $$$ would you plan on spending there a week?
You don't think there are plenty of people who would like to go to a bar with no sports or phone use? How is that question even remotely relevant? Not everyone loves football....

Old 08-09-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
You don't think there are plenty of people who would like to go to a bar with no sports or phone use? How is that question even remotely relevant? Not everyone loves football....
Didn't say anything about you liking football.

You said despite what some people might think you're sure some people would love this. I simply asked how much you would spend there as it takes a lot of revenue to operate a new idea/establishment.

How much would you spend a week patronizing such a place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh