Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 01:07 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,038,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I was replying to a comment referencing San Francisco, so I pretty much meant "Not SF (or NYC or DC, etc.)". Let's just say "non-coastal"?

I don't think that most cities are made up of just ghettos and high end areas, working/middle class neighborhoods are pretty common, especially if you include the suburbs, which I was. The big difference, in my opinion, is that these places in and around Pittsburgh can feel pretty isolated. I can't quite put my finger on just why that is. At the least, it's some combination of the rivers, hills, and transportation infrastructure.
Eh, I dunno. I was making a direct response to a post about Etna/Sharpsburg, which certainly don't feel isolated. And if you feel okay about trying to gentrify a walkable but slightly run down mill town or old streetcar suburb, you have plenty of other options in Allegheny County. There's not a lot going on, but honestly somewhere like Coreopolis, Verona, Bellvue, or Blawnox tend to have far more in terms of potentially walkable amenities than the average low-cost first-ring suburb would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 01:17 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,968,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
I've always thought of Cleveland, Cincy, and St. Louis as the closest thing Pittsburgh has to "peer cities".
I have not been to Cincy, but I think Cleveland and St. Louis are probably fairly close. Both have much higher crime rates and fewer desirable neigborhoods than Pittsburgh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'd put Buffalo and Milwaukee in that grouping too.
I think Milwaukee is a peer city (and one of the more underrated in the country), but again, the crime. Buffalo, I believe, is a tier below...and I like Buffalo.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:26 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,985,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Eh, I dunno. I was making a direct response to a post about Etna/Sharpsburg, which certainly don't feel isolated. And if you feel okay about trying to gentrify a walkable but slightly run down mill town or old streetcar suburb, you have plenty of other options in Allegheny County. There's not a lot going on, but honestly somewhere like Coreopolis, Verona, Bellvue, or Blawnox tend to have far more in terms of potentially walkable amenities than the average low-cost first-ring suburb would.
I really can't put my finger on it and articulate why, but I do think those places feel isolated to some extent. Maybe I'm just becoming a cranky old yinzer who doesn't cross rivers or hills.

I'm the most familiar with Bellevue due to living in Brighton Heights. Bellevue itself has a good business district, but when you decide to leave your closest options are basically Mt. Nebo, McKnight, Westview, and McKees Rocks. I definitely feel like I have left the area when I go to those places.

Maybe it's a product of me being a transplant; perhaps locals are more likely to feel a belonging to the "North Hills" rather than specifically Bellevue.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:01 PM

252 posts, read 348,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I really can't put my finger on it and articulate why, but I do think those places feel isolated to some extent.
Since I bike everywhere, old school urban layouts are the places I most enjoy spending time (small blocks, streets on grids or approximated grids, lower traffic speeds, etc.) I like living in the East End because these types of areas surround me in all directions. Whenever I'm in Aspinwall, Emsworth, or similar areas, I feel like I'm at the edge of the earth because going a little further away from the urban core will drastically increase the stress and difficulty of getting around. So to me Sharpsburg itself is nice, but it's kind of isolated because almost of the places I enjoy going are to the south or southwest of it.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:04 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,533,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Seeing all of these $2,500/month 1-BR units being snatched up like hot cakes makes me even more depressed to be struggling to afford a 1-BR unit roughly 1/3 as expensive with a ~$30,000 salary.

There's definitely a growing divide between wealthy new Pittsburgh and impoverished old Pittsburgh.
I would guess that a lot of the expensive one bedrooms are occupied by couples.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:05 PM

144 posts, read 140,999 times
Had to go to Ross Park Mall last night. My GF broke her iPhone screen so we went to get it fixed. Right off McKnight up to the mall there's a row of "luxury apartments" being built. Sorry but that has to be the most depressing place to live in a luxury apartment. McKnight road in that area is like retail/strip mall hell.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:58 AM

110 posts, read 95,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciulli View Post
Had to go to Ross Park Mall last night. My GF broke her iPhone screen so we went to get it fixed. Right off McKnight up to the mall there's a row of "luxury apartments" being built. Sorry but that has to be the most depressing place to live in a luxury apartment. McKnight road in that area is like retail/strip mall hell.
I think they're doing the same thing near that plaza at Settler's Ridge. Can't imagine who would want to live there.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:47 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciulli View Post
And what's the benefit of living so close to all of those stores if you have to have a death wish to try to walk to any of them?

Old 08-25-2016, 08:57 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,103,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And what's the benefit of living so close to all of those stores if you have to have a death wish to try to walk to any of them?
You aren't even allowed to walk to RPM. There are signs on the mall driveways, no pedestrian access allowed. This is the attitude that was just overcome in Wexford with the installation of sidewalks in the business district. Ross has got to get with the times and implement sidewalks and bike lanes.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:16 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,985,978 times
Generic high end apartments with hundreds of chain stores and restaurants in huge parking lots within a 10 minute drive are attractive to a lot of people. I'm not one of them, but I can see the appeal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh