Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 08:29 AM

14,354 posts, read 17,073,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Wage tax growth is not always tied to population growth. If a building has 100 people that make 30k a year and it switches to a building that has 100 people that make 100k a year, the wage tax revenue will go up dramatically.
Also, when it comes to housing, number of households is more important than raw population size. If a working-class family of four is displaced and three single young adults move into the city, there has been a net loss of one person, but the demand for additional units of housing has gone up by two.

Last edited by eschaton; 09-29-2017 at 08:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 08:52 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,906,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Wage tax growth is not always tied to population growth. If a building has 100 people that make 30k a year and it switches to a building that has 100 people that make 100k a year, the wage tax revenue will go up dramatically.
Gotcha.

Sorry, I interpreted your previous post differently. I thought you were referring to the growth of the city itself, not of the growth of the intake from wage taxes.

Sorry about that misunderstanding.

Old 09-29-2017, 11:11 AM

12,391 posts, read 7,115,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky329 View Post
Has Luxury Apartment Boom Reached Its End In Pittsburgh? « CBS Pittsburgh

Seems like the market is getting over saturated.. I know a few landlords who are having trouble filling nice units at good prices, and I see for rent signs up forever.. Times are changing...
Yes, I saw this coming years ago, the job growth came to a screeching halt, all the while there were a large number of new units coming online annually.

While we still don't seem to have solid data to work with, there is no doubt that many landlords are dropping rents, and still getting fewer calls from prospective tenants.

I know it's tempting to see dropping rents as a good thing, but property values, and therefore tax assessments are directly related to rents for investment property. With so much of the tax burden placed on property owners, it's imperative that we have a healthy rental market, or the vacancy problems, and tax revenue problems for many municipalities will become even worse.

Old 09-29-2017, 11:29 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,588,579 times
I haven't seen job growth at a screeching halt, at least not the job growth of the kind of jobs that people in this kind of housing tend to work at.
https://www.pghcitypaper.com/Blogh/a...-to-job-growth
I don't deny the low-middle class with limited skills are seeing limited demand for their services, but thet're not the target market for these apartments.

Old 09-29-2017, 12:09 PM

969 posts, read 774,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Yes, I saw this coming years ago, the job growth came to a screeching halt, all the while there were a large number of new units coming online annually.

While we still don't seem to have solid data to work with, there is no doubt that many landlords are dropping rents, and still getting fewer calls from prospective tenants.

I know it's tempting to see dropping rents as a good thing, but property values, and therefore tax assessments are directly related to rents for investment property. With so much of the tax burden placed on property owners, it's imperative that we have a healthy rental market, or the vacancy problems, and tax revenue problems for many municipalities will become even worse.
So you think tax assessments would be lowered in the East End where the existing rental market would face downward pressure? When do you see that happening, especially when they are already artificially low?

The only thing that will happen in healthy areas will be that multi family homes converted back to single family giving that market some relief in addition to slight rental decrease for those that don't sell.

Old 09-29-2017, 12:11 PM

32,621 posts, read 77,712,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Should help some posters here with their rent woes.
If you're referencing me, then you should know my rent went UP again this year. I guess while the city at-large is seeing rental occupancy cool off, Polish Hill still has a rental shortage because not enough developers are building dense infill here despite the apparently strong demand for Polish Hill, hence the rising rents.

Old 09-29-2017, 12:22 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,924,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
If you're referencing me, then you should know my rent went UP again this year. I guess while the city at-large is seeing rental occupancy cool off, Polish Hill still has a rental shortage because not enough developers are building dense infill here despite the apparently strong demand for Polish Hill, hence the rising rents.
Well Polish Hill is right next door to "Robotics Row" so this isn't going to stop any time soon....

There is a 1 bedroom (pet friendly, heat and water included, yard and patio) in Brookline for $675 right now on Craiglist. Even with the added expense of a bus pass, at $775 you would most likely be less than what you have now. If you sign a 13 month lease you get a month free. It looks pretty spacious and even has a fireplace.

Old 09-29-2017, 12:30 PM

969 posts, read 774,263 times
Or even a two bedroom in unaffordable gentrified East Liberty for $725

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2105912839_zpid/

(These aren't hard to find)

Old 09-29-2017, 01:33 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,049,731 times
I noticed there have been many affordable rentals posted on Craigslist in the past week or two. That's reassuring. I may need to rent for a year while I finish my North Side house. The money I make from my McKeesport property will help me finish the renovations. I'm thinking about what section of the city I'd like to live in for a year.

Old 09-29-2017, 01:48 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,602,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
I noticed there have been many affordable rentals posted on Craigslist in the past week or two. That's reassuring. I may need to rent for a year while I finish my North Side house. The money I make from my McKeesport property will help me finish the renovations. I'm thinking about what section of the city I'd like to live in for a year.
Keep an eye on Spring Garden and the adjacent neighborhoods -- there are still some rentals to be had for super cheap prices, and I think you would enjoy seeing the changes in East Deutschtown up close. (I would include you too SCR, but something tells me you're going to hang on in Polish Hill for a bit...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh