Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 06:58 PM

102 posts, read 162,121 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are from NJ and are truly considering the possibility of relocation. We are simply out priced of N.J (for awhile now), and have been considering a move for a few years.

We have heard various, varying stories about N.J people moving to PA. Some have had good experiences, others, changed their minds, missed NJ and moved back.

We love our state, and we'd be the first to share how many great things there are to NJ, (the topography of the land, the shore, and many fine eateries are just some solid examples; as well as a well-educated populous, and quality amenities for shopping and good healthcare.)

But this being said, the cost of living is grueling, the taxes, are, well, fairly awful, and there doesn't really seem to be a let up to the flat lined economy here since about 2008. (Except for, maybe a small pocket of fields of endeavor we're not a part of.) I say this, not as a complaint, so do not read it as whining

We are degreed people, and would bring our jobs with us, which pay well under 75k, part of why we feel we need to leave.

We don't have a big list of other reasons to stay, in terms of extended family, and will miss NJ, no doubt. But the cost of living is just pretty relentless, and, since we don't plan on moving South, (or to the Dakotas), we were wondering about PA.

Recently I read somewhere here that a person from NJ got some real flack after a move to PA and that the people there really don't like transplants from NJ. Which seems a bit odd, since we are not really talking about a move from two very different sections on the nation's map. (Not that folks should do that wherever they are, but, in any case...)

I know that asking this question I will get highly subjective feedback, but I need to ask, has anyone you've known, you or others you've known, moved from NJ (or even tri-state NY area) to PA and loved it?

What area are you in and why has the move been a great thing for you? Are there defining things about your area that make it better than NJ/NY for you? Are there any good similarities both states share, in your opinion?

How about the folks who left NJ and just didn't like PA, (for whatever reason), and left? Can you detail where and why?

We are also concerned about environmental issues, for example, we know there had been nuclear fallout on the Eastern portions of PA. 'Though the land is lovely, this would discourage us from, perhaps, considering. Do you personally know much about that issue in PA that you can speak of?

We have heard of people making mistakes of a lifetime and left NJ with little recourse, because they didn't have much $ when they left and had little to none to move back with.

We have also read stories of glory and success, as droves of others seem to drive down to South Jersey and don't pass go till they reach the Carolina line.

I don't expect that part of the country will be on our possible places to move plan, though it may be a nice place to see sometime.

Here's an interesting story which is very well written, by a man who left NJ, for, actually, Mississippi.

His is a poignant tale about what many experience over here. Some details in his, and his Dad's, story may vary.

High-Tax States, Low-Tax States -- Guess Which Are Gaining Population? | National Review

It really is becoming a genuine possibility, our needing to move. Just to add, if the place is within a few hours drive of beaches, all the better, but not required.

If you couldn't afford to stay in NJ but liked their amenities, where would you go? (Assuming you had pretty low cash flow)

Thanks, in advance, to any and all who reply.

p.s. I sent this same post to different sections of PA, on these boards, as PA is a pretty big state, and we need some comprehensive feedback, since not all sections are the same. You'd be providing a family a great kindness to share any or all of your experience.

Thanks again :O)

Last edited by hears_where_the_story; 08-29-2016 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 08:17 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,606,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hears_where_the_story View Post
Recently I read somewhere here that a person from NJ got some real flack after a move to PA and that the people there really don't like transplants from NJ. Which seems a bit odd, since we are not really talking about a move from two very different sections on the nation's map.
I have nothing against people from New Jersey and I have deep respect for your culture and many contributions to America and the world. But you people drive like fools. And not aggressive fools like New Yorkers or cheerful fools like Ohioans or oblivious fools like the locals. When I see somebody with New Jersey plates, I'm forced to assume they go out of the house every day seeking death on the road.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:59 PM

102 posts, read 162,121 times
Quote:
But you people drive like fools
lol
ok, but not all of us..
many drive quite normally and are respectful, some don't
We're inclined to have driven like 65 yr olds since age 25..
(sober ones, mind you..)
Can't speak for others

Last edited by hears_where_the_story; 08-29-2016 at 08:59 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 08-29-2016, 11:25 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,400,233 times
The only experience with people from NJ was laughing at them for not being able to use a gas pump, I am sure when someone drives for 20 years they would have watched a car get filled up once. Other than that we are cool.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:01 AM

395 posts, read 489,198 times
Come to PGH, LOL. I've heard of it being advertised in the NY Times as a place to visit and people not leaving. I don't know what taxes are like in NJ but I do know PGH does have some high taxes too so that would be a downfall. Other than that the cost of buying a house is cheap and compared to NJ rent is prob cheaper too.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:27 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,897,205 times
I lived in WNY (I've also lived in Eastern PA) for a few years and regret leaving.

Cons: High COL, high taxes, nanny state, snow
Pros: One of the most beautiful states in the US, tons of activities even in winter, accessibility to everything within a 2 hour drive, and the culture.

I miss NY terribly and visit often.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:39 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,812,218 times
We moved from Long Island, NY over 4 years ago. We had two middle schoolers at the time that are now high schoolers. Would I do it again ; in a heartbeat. It has been fantastic for our kids, they have thrived. They have experienced things that they would never have done on Long Island.
For us ; it has been hard. It is very difficult to make friends at our age (now, early 50's). My husband found it very difficult to get work and is living in the Poconos now until I make the move when our youngest graduates. Within 2 months of working there, he has consistent hours and we can actually plan a weekend now.
I love it here and my husband does also. We love the scenery (ohiopyle is our fav), love the fact that we are close to everything. Some of the people are great, others are very close minded and not welcoming. I think it would have been better if we moved when the kids were in elementary school. We will not go back to New York. But will make our vacation home our full time home in 2 years.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:07 AM

140 posts, read 166,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hears_where_the_story View Post
We are also concerned about environmental issues, for example, we know there had been nuclear fallout on the Eastern portions of PA. 'Though the land is lovely, this would discourage us from, perhaps, considering. Do you personally know much about that issue in PA that you can speak of?
Though I am not from New Jersey, I think I might be able to answer this question:
(please correct me if any of my facts are wrong)

Pittsburgh has a similar issue to LA in the sense of topography. The pollution blows toward the city & gets somewhat trapped here due to the mountains. It is nowhere near as bad as many people make it out to be (we aren't "hell with the lid off" anymore), but as with any large city, there is going to be pollution from cars & factories. Most of the pollution is concentrated in the valleys, so living on top of a hill (very easy in PGH) would be the best bet for good air quality.

This article has a pretty cool map that shows the highest concentrations of pollution in the county:
How polluted is the Pittsburgh region? CMU professor helps shed light on air quality | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Regarding nuclear fallout, I am not aware of any meltdowns near the area (the only one I know of anywhere close is 3 mile island near harrisburg.. aka not close at all). We DO have a couple nuclear power plants in the area though, but i would assume that there really isn't anything to worry about.

The nuclear power plant in beaver occasionally causes a cool phenomenon in the winter where the water vapor discharge from the plant can cause an artificial snowstorm in the north hills

Old 08-30-2016, 06:59 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,897,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMan_152 View Post
Though I am not from New Jersey, I think I might be able to answer this question:
(please correct me if any of my facts are wrong)

Pittsburgh has a similar issue to LA in the sense of topography. The pollution blows toward the city & gets somewhat trapped here due to the mountains. It is nowhere near as bad as many people make it out to be (we aren't "hell with the lid off" anymore), but as with any large city, there is going to be pollution from cars & factories. Most of the pollution is concentrated in the valleys, so living on top of a hill (very easy in PGH) would be the best bet for good air quality.

This article has a pretty cool map that shows the highest concentrations of pollution in the county:
How polluted is the Pittsburgh region? CMU professor helps shed light on air quality | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Regarding nuclear fallout, I am not aware of any meltdowns near the area (the only one I know of anywhere close is 3 mile island near harrisburg.. aka not close at all). We DO have a couple nuclear power plants in the area though, but i would assume that there really isn't anything to worry about.

The nuclear power plant in beaver occasionally causes a cool phenomenon in the winter where the water vapor discharge from the plant can cause an artificial snowstorm in the north hills
You left out the water quality. The Mid-Lower Allegheny, Monogahela, Beaver Rivers all suffer from various forms of pollution. The northern lakes and upper Allegheny north of Emlenton aren't bad.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:52 AM

436 posts, read 343,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
But you people drive like fools. And not aggressive fools like New Yorkers or cheerful fools like Ohioans or oblivious fools like the locals. When I see somebody with New Jersey plates, I'm forced to assume they go out of the house every day seeking death on the road.

That's funny, anytime I see a NJ plate in the Pittsburgh area, I think "at least I can count on this driver to keep things moving" and they all seem to be as sluggish as local drivers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh