Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 07:21 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,049,648 times

Advertisements

So Pittsburgh apparently has a distinction of having a very well setup public transportation system. It also is a city that can be horrible to drive in due to the fact that roads seemingly go nowhere and everywhere at the same time (why does every Ohio River City have this problem?) and also due to icing in the winter. Plus Pennsylvania doesn't exactly seem like a great state in terms of how much car insurance costs (I mean I would probably register my car with a fake address in Ohio just to avoid the huge jump lol)

Anyway friends, is it feasible for someone to rely entirely on Port Authority if living in this wonderful river city? Discuss. I think such a person would also get a ton of great exercise from using all those damn stairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 07:39 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
So Pittsburgh apparently has a distinction of having a very well setup public transportation system. It also is a city that can be horrible to drive in due to the fact that roads seemingly go nowhere and everywhere at the same time (why does every Ohio River City have this problem?) and also due to icing in the winter. Plus Pennsylvania doesn't exactly seem like a great state in terms of how much car insurance costs (I mean I would probably register my car with a fake address in Ohio just to avoid the huge jump lol)

Anyway friends, is it feasible for someone to rely entirely on Port Authority if living in this wonderful river city? Discuss. I think such a person would also get a ton of great exercise from using all those damn stairs.

I lived in castle Shannon and bridgeville for years without a car. Bridgeville was walkable and castle Shannon was on the t. I had no problems.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:49 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
With Uber and Zipcar to fill in the gaps, it wouldn't be any problem at all.

Also, having lived Pittsburgh and Ohio, I didn't find the car insurance rates that different. Philly has high car insurance rates, but they don't see high here.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:20 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,049,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
With Uber and Zipcar to fill in the gaps, it wouldn't be any problem at all.

Also, having lived Pittsburgh and Ohio, I didn't find the car insurance rates that different. Philly has high car insurance rates, but they don't see high here.
Really? I read somewhere that Ohio was cheapest in car insurance and that Pennsylvania while not the most expensive (like Massachusetts or Michigan) was somewhere in the middle but closer to expensive).

Either way. Northern Kentucky was annoying enough to drive on for me.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:20 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
It can definitely be done as long as you choose where to live with car-free in mind. Any idea where you will be working or what your budget is?

Definitely don't register with a fake address; you're throwing money down the drain because they won't cover you if something happens because you used a fraudulent address.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:33 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
It's absolutely 100% feasible as long as you keep three things in mind.

First, because of the hub and spoke style of transport, our system is very efficient at getting people into the main job centers (Downtown and Oakland - the university hub) but not great at neighborhood-to-neighborhood links. Therefore, if you're car free, you want to either work in Downtown/Oakland or be able to walk to work in your own neighborhood.

Second, you need to realistically limit yourself to highly walkable neighborhoods to live in, like Shadyside, Bloomfield, Oakland, Lawrenceville, South Side, etc. I'd put special emphasis on areas which are near a grocery store.

The biggest limitation, due to the bad neighborhood-to-neighborhood service, is going to be "socialization." Let's say, for example, you live in Lawrenceville and need to get to a friend's house in South Side. You'll need to take a bus Downtown and then get a transfer, which will probably take around 50 minutes. There are two possible ways around this. One is to live in a neighborhood, like Bloomfield or Oakland, where you can get direct buses to most anywhere. The other is to live along the East Busway, which will make a very quick ride into town, so even if you need to take a surface route to get to somewhere like South Side or North Side, you will cut down on the total commute time. Another would be just to rely on Uber for those random times you need to get to somewhere without direct bus access.

Use of public stairs, however, is highly situational. There's really not too many highly walkable areas near the public stairs, so unless you happen to be living in a hilltop area you're really not going to need to use them more than a few times per year. They really aren't salted in the winter for the most part, so I'd probably avoid using them in the winter even if I lived in such a neighborhood. Biking is a pain though. I mean, I do it frequently, and most of the destination neighborhoods are pretty flat, but there's a big height difference between Downtown and the East End, making commuting back at the end of the day decidedly not fun at times.

Old 09-11-2016, 09:19 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
Pittsburgh is a suburb city with limited, if any, transportation to the burbs. They are the hottest places to live so being without a car will exclude you from these areas.

We only have one T line, the rest is serviced by bus.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:33 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Pittsburgh is a suburb city with limited, if any, transportation to the burbs. They are the hottest places to live so being without a car will exclude you from these areas.

We only have one T line, the rest is serviced by bus.
Do you know this city at all?

Old 09-12-2016, 05:38 AM

969 posts, read 771,617 times
Pittsburgh is an urban city with little, if any, reason to travel to suburbia.

Look into the East End, my spouse has lived car-free very comfortably in various eastern city neighhoods for 30 years.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:07 AM

22,558 posts, read 47,614,734 times
I lived in Pittsburgh for 7 years without a car, before ZipCar and Uber.
It is totally doable!

I know seniors who grew up never having owned a car. They got around perfectly fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh