Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 07:48 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times

Advertisements

Ben Avon is the next suburb up the Ohio River from Avalon, which we covered a few weeks ago. Ben Avon has housing of a similar vintage to nearby Bellevue and Avalon, as all were set up as railroad suburbs of Pittsburgh (or more properly, Allegheny City) around 1900. However, the layout of Ben Avon was different, with larger lots and more tree-lined streets, leading to a more pastoral and suburban feel, rather than the streetcar suburban feel of Avalon. Adding to the suburbanesque feel, there isn't much in the way of a business district, although there is a coffee shop (Anchor & Anvil) in the heart of the borough along Church Avenue. There's actually room for a more active commercial core as well, but most of the remaining older storefronts are fairly underutilized. When not vacant they are filled by lower-use businesses like hair salons and doctor's offices. It's unlikely that local demand will ever cause the business district to fill in fully - the borough at its height only had 2,700 residents, and today has only around 1,800. That said, property values are rising - the borough could be considered to be slowly "gentrifying" as younger higher-income families are replacing old timers and restoring the grand old houses.

I'm also lumping in Ben Avon Heights here. Ben Avon Heights actually does not directly border Ben Avon, instead being found north of Avalon. Still, it is nearby - presumably it was named Ben Avon Heights rather than Avalon Heights due to the name cachet. It's a much smaller community - only 376 people today, with only 148 homes. It's a bit newer than nearby Ben Avon or Avalon as well - built out beginning in 1910 at the same time as the Ben Avon country club, with all major construction ending by 1936 with the annexation of the "Thompson plan." Due to its later build and remove from the commuter rail lines at the time, it's much more of an early automobile suburb than a streetcar suburb like Ben Avon, meaning it was never even nominally walkable.

Ben Avon and Ben Avon heights part of the Avonworth School District, which considered an above-average school district, which again sets it apart from nearby Avalon and Bellevue, which are considered to have below average schools.

Last edited by eschaton; 09-26-2016 at 08:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 09:28 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,290 times
ben avon heights does border Ben avon. However, by car you have to cut through either kilbuck or avalon to get there.

Ben avon country club moved its clubhouse from Oxford rd to Wiindmere rd ( actually at the end of Canterbury) and changed to Shannopin CC in 1928. There has been speculation of the board deciding to sell the club to developers to build another home plan. I hope this does not happen as it would really take away from the beauty and feel of the neighborhood.

Housing in the heights is on average more expensive than Ben avon. A lot of the older homes need extensive updates and yet still pull a very nice premium for the location and status of being in the heights. Both neighborhoods are mostly middle class to upper middle class. Almost exclusively white population. In the eastern portion of ben avon bordering avalon, there is a bit of poverty/low income. Mainly around the park ave, alder dr, berringer pl section. Housing stocks for both neighborhoods are substantially nicer than bordering avalon and emsworth.

Both neighborhoods are extremely well located for commutes in all directions via 65/279/79 access.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
ben avon heights does border Ben avon. However, by car you have to cut through either kilbuck or avalon to get there.
Hrrm, you appear to be right. Seems to be close to, if not exactly, touch-point contiguity however.

Quote:
Ben avon country club moved its clubhouse from Oxford rd to Wiindmere rd ( actually at the end of Canterbury) and changed to Shannopin CC in 1928. There has been speculation of the board deciding to sell the club to developers to build another home plan. I hope this does not happen as it would really take away from the beauty and feel of the neighborhood.
With the exception of the entrance to the country club, most of it is within Kilbuck Township or Ross Township, so Ben Avon Heights wouldn't even get much of a windfall from its development.

Quote:
In the eastern portion of ben avon bordering avalon, there is a bit of poverty/low income. Mainly around the park ave, alder dr, berringer pl section.
Yeah, I noticed that the area on the same side of Spruce Run as Avalon seemed to share the Avalon street grid. There's a lot of rowhouses along Park Street, but the Google car hasn't gone up the street since 2007, so I don't know their current condition.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:57 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
It's a much smaller community - only 376 people today, with only 148 homes
It astounds me how many places in Allegheny County are like this.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
It astounds me how many places in Allegheny County are like this.
Just wait till we get to Haysville

Old 09-26-2016, 11:36 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,290 times
correction from my previous post, Shannopin opened in 1920, not 1928.

Old 09-27-2016, 03:53 PM

595 posts, read 600,530 times
Outside of the eastern portion of Ben Avon, the rest of the borough (outside of maybe parts of Church St and a few houses here and there) has absolutely beautiful housing stock.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:41 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
I personally like Ben Avon. Back in the day I looked at a duplex there. I think it doesn't get the love because its schools are just below the "top" districts. I sort of view it as a poor man's Sewickley. Nice older homes with a better commute but a smaller business district.

I think it is sort of held back by its size. It is so small that you could very easily have a hard time finding a house and be forced to wait for one to come on the market. This limits buyers because some buyers don't have the time to wait.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:55 AM

994 posts, read 901,136 times
If my wife and I weren't moving away from Pittsburgh soon, then Ben Avon is the place we have decided checks most of the boxes for us. It has a good school district. Very walkable neighborhood. An acceptable commute to downtown. Affordable for us. And the closing of the Neville Island coke plant is a huge bonus.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:19 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
If I ever wanted to go "full suburb" Ben Avon would definitely be high on the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh