Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 07:46 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,389,593 times

Advertisements

Odd that Pittsburgh is picking up residents from:
Philadelphia
New York
Youngstown
Buffalo
Canton

and losing people to:
Erie
State College
Boston
Tampa
San Antonio

Philadelphia to Pittsburgh: A moving trend | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 07:50 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,389,593 times
On a related note, Pennsylvania is slipping in population.

Early Returns

Quote:
A report in late December by Election Data Services, a Virginia-based political consulting firm, named Pennsylvania as one of nine states that stand to lose at least one U.S. House seat, continuing a shift in political clout in Washington, D.C., from the Northeast and Midwest to fast-growing areas in the West and South.

The other potential losers include Michigan, New York, Ohio, Rhode Island and Illinois. On the flip side, Texas could gain up to four seats, Florida up to two and Arizona, Colorado and Oregon one each. New Jersey, according to the report, would not lose or gain any seats.
Power is shifting to the West and South.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:51 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
I know it's anecdotal, but it seems as if every recent transplant I meet comes from NYC, the D.C. Metro or Denver.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:48 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I know it's anecdotal, but it seems as if every recent transplant I meet comes from NYC, the D.C. Metro or Denver.
Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I have met throngs of East Enders from NYC and The DMV; however, I have yet to meet a single transplant from Colorado. I've met a few people from this forum AND from outside this forum from CA---1 from San Diego, 2 from Greater LA, and 3 from the SF Bay Area.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:57 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Why Erie of all places to lose people to? I really don't see why one would have a reason to move there, there isn't much in the way of big employers to attract people to that area.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:24 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I have met throngs of East Enders from NYC and The DMV; however, I have yet to meet a single transplant from Colorado. I've met a few people from this forum AND from outside this forum from CA---1 from San Diego, 2 from Greater LA, and 3 from the SF Bay Area.
Interestingly enough, all of the Denver transplants I've met lived in the North or South Sides

Old 01-02-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Why Erie of all places to lose people to? I really don't see why one would have a reason to move there, there isn't much in the way of big employers to attract people to that area.
I suppose I'm an anomaly, but I've totally fallen head over heels for Erie. I'm poor, so being able to take a day-trip to the beach their in Summer as my "vacation" for the year is wonderful. I could easily see living there and being within day-tripping distance of Buffalo/Niagara Falls, Toronto, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh to be quite appealing. One thing I abhor about Pittsburgh is its relative isolation---most day-tripping destinations around us are boring (one can only hike the same trail so many times in the Laurel Highlands).

Erie has Wegmans. Erie has a beautiful setting. Erie Insurance and UPMC Hamot are both expanding, so those provide some job opportunities. There is no traffic congestion to speak of, and the cost of rentals in safe walkable neighborhoods is much more reasonable than it is to rent in a safe walkable neighborhood in Pittsburgh.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Interestingly enough, all of the Denver transplants I've met lived in the North or South Sides
I guess I need to cross bridges more!

Old 01-02-2017, 09:54 AM

96 posts, read 73,617 times
I would be interested to hear other anecdotal stories of immigrants/emigrants to Pittsburgh.

In the past 10 years when my friends and I have graduated college and gone off into the world, I know native Pittsburghers who have moved to NYC, Raleigh/Durham, Winston-Salem, Canton, Charleston SC, Idaho Falls ID, Rehoboth Beach DE, Chicago, Columbus OH, Lexington OH, Clemson SC, Bartlesville OK, San Antonio TX, Singapore, Washington DC and Seattle.

Of all of those people, ONLY the girl who moved to San Antonio decided to move back to the Burgh. Most have family here, most left for school or a job and never came back, and most seem to be content where they currently live. I too have moved away but I love Pittsburgh more than most people and I have always planned on coming back at some point (this is only my 4th full year away).

Old 01-02-2017, 09:59 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forging Steel View Post
I would be interested to hear other anecdotal stories of immigrants/emigrants to Pittsburgh.

In the past 10 years when my friends and I have graduated college and gone off into the world, I know native Pittsburghers who have moved to NYC, Raleigh/Durham, Winston-Salem, Canton, Charleston SC, Idaho Falls ID, Rehoboth Beach DE, Chicago, Columbus OH, Lexington OH, Clemson SC, Bartlesville OK, San Antonio TX, Singapore, Washington DC and Seattle.

Of all of those people, ONLY the girl who moved to San Antonio decided to move back to the Burgh. Most have family here, most left for school or a job and never came back, and most seem to be content where they currently live. I too have moved away but I love Pittsburgh more than most people and I have always planned on coming back at some point (this is only my 4th full year away).
I graduated from college in 2013 and a large majority of the people I was friends with or had contact with are still in Pittsburgh. Same with people I went to grade and high school with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh