Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 07:15 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
...what I think we are seeing here is enjoyment from non-fans at berating the game itself. They feel left out, bitter that in large part this is what Americans celebrate (or, are enslaved to !).

So why not tear it down? Many do it to their opposing political party, right?
You just hit the center of the center of the bullseye. Demonizing the sport of football has become a sport itself in the last five years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
There are thugs like Porter, but many (most) that are normal people with everyday imperfections.

It's just that with one of the most celebrated sports organizations on the continent, your actions are magnified, and taint the entire organization.
Here's the rate at which NFL players were arrested for various crimes compared to the entire American male population ages 25-29 (2000-2013):

Any percentage lower than 100% means that NFL players get arrested at a lower rate than the 25-29 male population at large. The way the holier-than-thou anti-football zealots act, you'd never know that NFL arrest rates were lower across the ****ing board. In fact, NFL players get arrested at less than half the rate of the 25-29 male population for every crime except domestic violence, which they get arrested at slightly more than half the rate. Expand the age range to 20-39, and NFL players still get arrested at a lower rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Alex Piquiero, University of Texas-Dallas
There's a perception that the NFL has this huge crime problem and that it's longstanding. That's what everybody believes. The data show that it's not true.
What makes this data even more significant is the fact that many NFL players come from very rough backgrounds which delay their social development. Taking young men out of the ghetto or the trailer park and giving them six- to eight-figure annual incomes and the adoration of the public is a major culture shock, so if anything, we should be happy that NFL players don't cause a lot more trouble than they do. But hey, some faux intellectual with a bogus "studies" degree said that football is for rednecks and savages, and I think yinzers are just a bunch of rednecks who take too much pride in the local football team, so I'm gonna start a bitchy little teapot tempest every time a Steeler gets arrested. Confirmation bias RULZ!

But seriously, I look forward to Sunday afternoon, when our perpetually underrated franchise QB leads his team into Kansas City, and hopefully arrives back in Pittsburgh with another win. I'll be cheering for him, regardless of what he might or might not have done seven years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 07:18 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
^^^^^
Winner.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:04 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post

What makes this data even more significant is the fact that many NFL players come from very rough backgrounds which delay their social development. Taking young men out of the ghetto or the trailer park and giving them six- to eight-figure annual incomes and the adoration of the public is a major culture shock, so if anything, we should be happy that NFL players don't cause a lot more trouble than they do. But hey, some faux intellectual with a bogus "studies" degree said that football is for rednecks and savages, and I think yinzers are just a bunch of rednecks who take too much pride in the local football team, so I'm gonna start a bitchy little teapot tempest every time a Steeler gets arrested. Confirmation bias RULZ!
Mic drop

Thunderous applause

Old 01-11-2017, 09:23 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
You just hit the center of the center of the bullseye. Demonizing the sport of football has become a sport itself in the last five years.

Here's the rate at which NFL players were arrested for various crimes compared to the entire American male population ages 25-29 (2000-2013):

Any percentage lower than 100% means that NFL players get arrested at a lower rate than the 25-29 male population at large. The way the holier-than-thou anti-football zealots act, you'd never know that NFL arrest rates were lower across the ****ing board. In fact, NFL players get arrested at less than half the rate of the 25-29 male population for every crime except domestic violence, which they get arrested at slightly more than half the rate. Expand the age range to 20-39, and NFL players still get arrested at a lower rate.

But seriously, I look forward to Sunday afternoon, when our perpetually underrated franchise QB leads his team into Kansas City, and hopefully arrives back in Pittsburgh with another win. I'll be cheering for him, regardless of what he might or might not have done seven years ago.

Bingo!

(As a suburbanite, I'm required to do that)

Old 01-11-2017, 09:51 AM

153 posts, read 115,207 times
What are the arrest rates for the NFL compared to the communities one may live in?

I think this is a more appropriate comparison. For example, if one lives in Upper St. Clair, let's see NFL arrest rates compared to USC arrest rates.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plink View Post
What are the arrest rates for the NFL compared to the communities one may live in?

I think this is a more appropriate comparison. For example, if one lives in Upper St. Clair, let's see NFL arrest rates compared to USC arrest rates.
How could this possibly have any significance?

Old 01-11-2017, 11:34 AM

Crime rates are different depending on area and thus peoples' perceptions of NFL criminality. I don't doubt as a whole NFL is unfairly maligned, however, I'm more interested such comparisons to the community I spend 90% of my time in rather than lumping high crime areas into the mix. Conversely, when comparing to high crime areas, I'm sure the results are skewed much more in NFL's favor

Old 01-11-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plink View Post
Crime rates are different depending on area and thus peoples' perceptions of NFL criminality. I don't doubt as a whole NFL is unfairly maligned, however, I'm more interested such comparisons to the community I spend 90% of my time in rather than lumping high crime areas into the mix. Conversely, when comparing to high crime areas, I'm sure the results are skewed much more in NFL's favor
Some guys don't even live in the area and most guys rent places and are rarely seen or heard from.

It's often the same guys who are repeatedly getting themselves into trouble.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:38 AM

And for the record, no, I don't live in Upper St. Clair.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Some guys don't even live in the area and most guys rent places and are rarely seen or heard from.

It's often the same guys who are repeatedly getting themselves into trouble.

I agree. However, most people don't want to live near criminals and domestic violence seems to be a local crime. My comment was more about how people perceive their exposure to the highly publicized crimes of athletes ("perception").

This is similar to graduation rates in college. Athletes are unfairly judged yet typically graduate at higher rates than non athletes. When one accounts for the athletes who leave early to earn very high salaries in pro sports, this maligning becomes even more absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh