Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 09:48 AM

538 posts, read 659,336 times

Advertisements

I was recently in Pittsburgh for the first time coming from Cleveland. Pittsburgh and Cleveland are not really comparable other than the fact that both cities have 3 sports teams, and are generally regarded as peer cities.

Pittsburgh felt a lot more like Cincinnati than Cleveland. Give Cincy a 3rd sports team and the cities would feel like clones of each other. (Bridges, hills, UC/Pitt, stadiums right on the rivers, etc)

I've always thought that if you combined Buffalo and Erie with less snow you would get Cleveland. Anyways, positives and negatives of Pittsburgh:

+ Having division 1 sports in the city, something that Cleveland cannot say in football
+ neighborhoods are better maintained, have more wealth and are in nicer condition (shadyside, morningside, lawernceville)
+Dusquene (spelling?) incline is amazing. The views of the skyline are picturesque
+ the hills everywhere (though this can be seen as a negative- too many hills)
+ as a stadium, PNC park seems comparable to Progressive Field, however, the view of the skyline and the water would make for a perfect setting on a warm summer night
+denser, more walkable neighborhoods than Cleveland (a major + for me)

Negatives:
-Cleveland's suburbs seem to be in better condition than Pittsburgh's
- I was hoping for better T coverage, and a T line between downtown and Oakland would be a game changer
- The road network is a pain to get around (this is how the hills can be a negative)

General observations: Primani Bros is only okay (not great, but I would have it again if I happen to be around one) but not as good as its hyped up to be.
City felt very Appalachian to me (the vibe, the accent, the hills, the people.

I would definitely come back, but only in the summer to get to a game at what's been described as baseballs nicest park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 09:58 AM

334 posts, read 496,021 times
I visited Cincinnati one time. Hated it. Never coming back.

I've visited Cleveland a few times. It's OK but I liked Columbus better. Columbus lacks a quality public transportation system and especially zero rail service.

Pittsburgh is head and shoulders above those 3 as far as work, play, professional sports, activities all go. Every single Pittsburgh neighborhood is unique. Columbus could be close to comparable but not a whole lot.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:13 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,964 times
I'm not going to get into a competition between Cleveland and Pittsburgh. I live in Pittsburgh, but I enjoy Cleveland as well. Although different cities, there are some similarities in that they both fell on hard times in the 80s and have re-engineered their economies and are steadily improving. They are both fortunate to have world-class research universities and teaching hospitals, which attract people from all over the world. Both cities have some very distinctive architecture that I love to tour that can never be replicated, which is a big plus for me.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:23 AM

538 posts, read 659,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
I'm not going to get into a competition between Cleveland and Pittsburgh. I live in Pittsburgh, but I enjoy Cleveland as well. Although different cities, there are some similarities in that they both fell on hard times in the 80s and have re-engineered their economies and are steadily improving. They are both fortunate to have world-class research universities and teaching hospitals, which attract people from all over the world. Both cities have some very distinctive architecture that I love to tour that can never be replicated, which is a big plus for me.
Agreed. That is pretty much what I was trying to get at. And the better baseball stadium in PGH

Old 03-15-2017, 10:29 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,961,443 times
The hills are something of a challenge, but coming from the flatlands of the south, I love the hills and the unique areas they create. It's a much smaller space to get around in general so it doesn't bug me. Hope you come back

Old 03-15-2017, 10:38 AM

23 posts, read 25,461 times
I wish we had a Happy Dog in Pittsburgh.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:39 AM

53 posts, read 49,096 times
Visited for my first time from NYC and I would definitely agree with OP on the Incline, the hills (topography), PNC Park (cannot beat that skyline), lack of broader T coverage, road network, Primanti Bros (original store - it's ok).

The distinct neighborhoods is what really made an impact one me. Coming from NYC and its boroughs, Pittsburgh is a microcosm of the NYC neighborhoods. I like that! Many neighborhoods reminded me of areas in NYC like, The South Side (Lower East Side or Williamsbridge), Strip District (Tribeca, Meat Packing District), Oakland (any neighborhoods in Bronx, Queens, and Brooklyn). The Downtown area gets major props due to the proximity to the Stadiums and generally, the life it displayed with a variety of nightlife activities.

Overall a pleasing experience so much so, I plan to return in April.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:12 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
I was expecting this thread to be an anti-Pittsburgh rant, as we had a past history of people doing "drive bys" of the forum with negative comments. Instead I was pleasantly surprised with a nuanced review.

The suburbs are in worse condition than Pittsburgh in part because the City is in better shape. Squirrel Hill basically served the same function as Shaker Heights did for Cleveland, despite being a city neighborhood. In contrast, industry was never concentrated heavily within the city in Pittsburgh the way it was in Cleveland, which meant there were mill towns and working-class neighborhoods scattered all over the place.

It's true our rail system is pitiful. That said, transit utilization within Pittsburgh is much higher than Cleveland.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:58 AM

140 posts, read 166,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunavailable View Post
General observations: Primani Bros is only okay (not great, but I would have it again if I happen to be around one) but not as good as its hyped up to be.
City felt very Appalachian to me (the vibe, the accent, the hills, the people.
Primanti's is most definitely overhyped & isn't really all that unique.. If you return, might I suggest ordering a chicken or steak salad at any local diner, bar, pizza joint, etc.. That is the true gem of Pittsburgh cuisine!!

Old 03-15-2017, 12:13 PM

130 posts, read 122,605 times
Hardly anyone born and raised in Pittsburgh thinks Primanti Bros is amazing. It's a novelty that gets airtime on Monday Night Football. It's not unlike Skyline Chili in Cinci or Pat's/Geno's in Philly. It's fine but I hardly ever go there.

The Rapid in Cleveland is a pretty decent light rail, and is obviously much more practical due to the flatness of the city. Pittsburgh's topography poses more challenges. The city missed it's window of opportunity to expand the system in the early part of the last century. Financially, it is unlikely that the system will expand significantly now. They are working on a BRT very similar to the one in Cleveland that also travels through a major hospital corridor.

I think you are pretty accurate with your comparison that Pittsburgh and Cincinnati are the most similar comparisons. Cleveland has the working class vibe and the restructuring of an economy around healthcare that Pittsburgh has, but I don't see much else in common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh