Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 12:45 PM

80 posts, read 84,180 times

Advertisements

So, I'd love to hear firsthand experience from people who actually live in Crafton borough or know Crafton incredibly well. We are looking to purchase our first home, and Crafton is ultra appealing to us. The housing stock is gorgeous, and it has a small town, family oriented feel to it. My significant other works at Modcloth, which is in walking distance. The elementary school seems to be good, it has a business district, the West busway is there, and it is easy to get into downtown and Oakland. We also love hiking at Thornburg Park. All pluses in my book.

We have a 2.5 year old daughter, so safety is important to us. I posted on Facebook how we've been house hunting in Crafton and was given these statistics.

"The overall crime rate in Crafton is 37% higher than the national average.
For every 100,000 people, there are 10.74 daily crimes that occur in Crafton.
Crafton is safer than 22% of the cities in the United States.
In Crafton you have a 1 in 26 chance of becoming a victim of any crime.
The number of total year over year crimes in Crafton has increased by 38%."

This seems rather high to me for such a small borough. I'm not sure of the accuracy of this data. Perhaps it's being lumped in with Crafton Heights and some other surrounding neighborhoods? Can anyone confirm the accuracy of this data? Where is the best place to look at accurate crime data?

My aunt who live in Brentwood also stated "Crafton Heights... a horrible crime area. Drive by shootings all the time...I know I have heard multiple stories from girls in my study. I don't think I would want your daughter growing up there." I explained that Crafton Heights is a separate area, and she replied "You had stated it was on the border. That crap carries over! And Crafton, although seems nice, is going downhill. I am experiencing this first hand." So now I'm feeling terrible and the excitement I had about Crafton is waning. Maybe she's right.

To me it seems like an area with great potential, but maybe looks can be deceiving. Please tell it to me straight. Is Crafton going downhill? Is it a bad idea to invest in a family home there? We plan on living there for maybe 10 years at the most. We currently live in Morningside, and love the feeling of this neighborhood. I have a different perception of what is safe compared to my aunt, but I still want feedback from others. I'd like to know more about what the people are like, the feeling you get from living there (is it very conservative? Yinzery? Do people care about each other and keep an eye out?) Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 12:50 PM

271 posts, read 331,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjy3 View Post
So, I'd love to hear firsthand experience from people who actually live in Crafton borough or know Crafton incredibly well. We are looking to purchase our first home, and Crafton is ultra appealing to us. The housing stock is gorgeous, and it has a small town, family oriented feel to it. My significant other works at Modcloth, which is in walking distance. The elementary school seems to be good, it has a business district, the West busway is there, and it is easy to get into downtown and Oakland. We also love hiking at Thornburg Park. All pluses in my book.

We have a 2.5 year old daughter, so safety is important to us. I posted on Facebook how we've been house hunting in Crafton and was given these statistics.

"The overall crime rate in Crafton is 37% higher than the national average.
For every 100,000 people, there are 10.74 daily crimes that occur in Crafton.
Crafton is safer than 22% of the cities in the United States.
In Crafton you have a 1 in 26 chance of becoming a victim of any crime.
The number of total year over year crimes in Crafton has increased by 38%."

This seems rather high to me for such a small borough. I'm not sure of the accuracy of this data. Perhaps it's being lumped in with Crafton Heights and some other surrounding neighborhoods? Can anyone confirm the accuracy of this data? Where is the best place to look at accurate crime data?

My aunt who live in Brentwood also stated "Crafton Heights... a horrible crime area. Drive by shootings all the time...I know I have heard multiple stories from girls in my study. I don't think I would want your daughter growing up there." I explained that Crafton Heights is a separate area, and she replied "You had stated it was on the border. That crap carries over! And Crafton, although seems nice, is going downhill. I am experiencing this first hand." So now I'm feeling terrible and the excitement I had about Crafton is waning. Maybe she's right.

To me it seems like an area with great potential, but maybe looks can be deceiving. Please tell it to me straight. Is Crafton going downhill? Is it a bad idea to invest in a family home there? We plan on living there for maybe 10 years at the most. We currently live in Morningside, and love the feeling of this neighborhood. I have a different perception of what is safe compared to my aunt, but I still want feedback from others. I'd like to know more about what the people are like, the feeling you get from living there (is it very conservative? Yinzery? Do people care about each other and keep an eye out?) Thanks for any input.
Read these to put you at ease -- and don't believe every dumb thing you read on Facebook.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...n-heights.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...k-crafton.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...n-heights.html

Old 02-13-2017, 12:57 PM

I read all the threads about Crafton, and I feel that Crafton is a good decision. My aunt raised me, and it still makes me feel terrible inside that she would so strongly disapprove of an area that I want to settle down in for a while. It brings out the kid in me who looks to her for approval. My aunt and uncle are the types who roll their windows up when they drive into the city and think Garfield and East Liberty are horrendous neighborhoods. They are kind of in their own bubble in Brentwood. They don't really know much about the city or the areas outside of the South Hills. I just kind of want some statistical data to prove my point that Crafton is not dangerous or going downhill, so I can one up her and feel good about myself. Ha. Ha.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:03 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjy3 View Post
I read all the threads about Crafton, and I feel that Crafton is a good decision. My aunt raised me, and it still makes me feel terrible inside that she would so strongly disapprove of an area that I want to settle down in for a while. It brings out the kid in me who looks to her for approval. My aunt and uncle are the types who roll their windows up when they drive into the city and think Garfield and East Liberty are horrendous neighborhoods. They are kind of in their own bubble in Brentwood. They don't really know much about the city or the areas outside of the South Hills. I just kind of want some statistical data to prove my point that Crafton is not dangerous or going downhill, so I can one up her and feel good about myself. Ha. Ha.
I can't provide statistics without doing research, but I can tell you that I live in Crafton Heights. I live in a great little housing plan that most people don't know exists. I live on a cul-de-sac and feel completely comfortable and safe. I've been there since December 2012, bought the house, and have no plans of going elsewhere.

What's comic is the different perceptions, depending on area. Your aunt and uncle feel very safe in Brentwood and the city is "bad." I grew up near Apollo. Basically anything past Monroeville is considered "dahn Picksburgh" and would be considered bad. So Brentwood, to someone who never leaves Apollo would be "dahn Picksburgh" and scary. Just to put it in perspective. ;-)

I tell people this all the time - I don't care if you live in the city or in the sticks, don't ever be too comfortable. "It" can happen anywhere. Don't live in fear, but be smart.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:12 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,017,204 times
I'm not sure the veracity of this site, or how they develop the borders for the different neighborhoods. Looking on Spotcrime, which might use the same data, something seems wonky. The site reports three shootings in the last week, and 72 in the last six months, which is absolutely ridiculously wrong. At the same time, there are only five reported crimes on the map in the last month - and they are in Oakwood and Westwood, not Crafton.

Look at Crafton's police blotter. Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok Something's screwed up here.

Last edited by Yac; 11-10-2020 at 01:34 AM..

Old 02-13-2017, 01:28 PM

I agree, the data seems really screwed up. I think it's being lumped in with surrounding areas that have more crime. I'm going to use the Police Blotter as part of my argument. She still won't believe me, though.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:28 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'm not sure the veracity of this site, or how they develop the borders for the different neighborhoods. Looking on Spotcrime, which might use the same data, something seems wonky. The site reports three shootings in the last week, and 72 in the last six months, which is absolutely ridiculously wrong. At the same time, there are only five reported crimes on the map in the last month - and they are in Oakwood and Westwood, not Crafton.

Look at Crafton's police blotter. Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not okSomething's screwed up here.
Again, as someone who lives in the area, I'll echo that...100% wrong. Lol.

Last edited by Yac; 11-10-2020 at 01:34 AM..

Old 02-13-2017, 01:30 PM

595 posts, read 600,155 times
Where did Goodjules go? All this talk about Crafton the past few weeks and not a peep from her.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:35 PM

969 posts, read 771,911 times
What does your aunt think of Morningside? She must be terrified for you, living there surrounded by Garfield and East Lib.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:40 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,963,947 times
Crafton is a nice, safe little town with strong neighborhoods, gorgeous houses and a great tree canopy. I can't recall it ever being on the news for anything violent or "unsafe."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh