Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 09:40 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times

Advertisements

Still flunking after all these years | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 05:53 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,791 times
This is effectively a blog post of an outside organization leader endorsed by the PPG. I read the report linked to the PPG blog/opinion piece. It made statements such as:

Quote:
In PPS, black students have substantially less access to and participa-
tion in rigorous coursework. For example, enrollment of black students in calculus is very low compared to their white counterparts.
This quote has no data to back up the claim that access to courses is a barrier. Instead, using calculus as the example, one might also conclude that achievement is the barrier. The report itself is full of facts that are well known in these parts, but it is short on actionable solutions other than three vague paragraphs at the end which amount to "get high quality leaders" and/or "approve more charter schools".

In addition, the report places 100% of the focus on poor schooling while completely absolving families of responsibility. I fully agree that PPS could be doing more to serve low income and black students, but any report which completely clears parental responsibility as having anything to do with achievement gaps is not well thought out in my opinion. The only way to really close gaps and provide equal educational opportunity is to reform both home and school, and I don't know what the appetite or potential for either of them are or how school reform can be used to enforce reforms at home.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:18 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
I had several issues with this editorial.

The first, and perhaps most important one, is that it presents a national problem as being a local one. I'm not aware of a single urban school district in the country which doesn't underperform its suburban peers. I'm also not aware of a single school district in the country which has statistically significant black and/or Latino populations which doesn't show a big gap in performance between these students and the white/asian population.

Also, as I've repeatedly said, there is a false paradigm (which this op-ed plays into) that every kid comes to school as a blank slate, with essentially the same capacity to learn. Looking up the writer's bio, she attended Princeton for undergrad, and got a J.D. for Fordham. I presume her husband has a similarly stellar resume. Her kids were not going to underperform going to Colfax K-8, even if they are half-black. By choosing not to enroll her biracial sons at Colfax K-8 - sons who were predisposed, given her academic background, to thrive - it meant the school would be incrementally more low performing.

None of that matters though, because she never had any intention of sending her kids to a neighborhood school. Lemme quote her bio.

Quote:
Born and raised in Northern California, Rachel migrated east to attend Princeton University, where she earned her bachelor’s degree in History. After college, she moved to New York City and had a brief stint as a teacher at a Catholic girls school in Harlem before she ventured into the world of documentary filmmaking. Her work on a film about the first charter high school in Silicon Valley changed her career trajectory and inspired her commitment to education advocacy. Motivated in part by witnessing the legal hurdles and political battles that the film’s charter school had to overcome just to open its doors, Rachel decided to head to law school.

She earned her J.D. from Fordham University School of Law. After practicing as a litigator for several years in the private sector, Rachel found her way back to education when she became Assistant General Counsel for Success Academy Charter Schools in New York City.

Rachel lives in Pittsburgh with her husband and their two sons.
She was already a paid staffer for the charter school "movement" before she even came to Pittsburgh. I wouldn't be surprised if she moved here for the job. There was virtually no chance she was going to be happy with sending her kids to a neighborhood school.

There have been repeated studies nationally that show once you correct for selection bias and directly compare students of the same race, socio-economic status, and parental educational background that there is absolutely no evidence that charter schools perform better than public schools.

We have 13,506 public school districts in the U.S., and 6,800 charter schools. if someone discovered the "magic bullet" for dealing with inequality of educational outcome, it would have been widely copied by now.

Last edited by eschaton; 06-15-2017 at 08:06 AM..

Old 06-15-2017, 07:44 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,209 times
Yes, I agree with pretty much everything Stanwix and Eschaton are saying. Firing administrators, focusing on test scores, and interviewing unhappy high school kids doesn't accomplish much beyond scaring more people away from PPS. About half of my family teaches high school, and they all agree that what goes on at home is the #1 indicator of how a kid will do in school.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:53 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
This article is just part of their long game. You continuously hammer away at the idea that public schools are bad, offering “data” and “statistics” until the general populous begins to believe that the school is 100% to blame for the problem. You do this via thinly veiled advocacy groups and “experts” who must know what they are talking about. Then you send in the next scammer, the voucher advocate to offer up a solution. The public is so convinced by experts that they become desperate for a solution so they run towards the shiny object, in this case charter schools and vouchers.

In this day and age you could do this with anything. Spend a decade and millions of dollars convincing people that the air inside their homes is dangerous then turn around and sell them $100 plastic bags to wear on their heads while they sleep.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
This article is just part of their long game. You continuously hammer away at the idea that public schools are bad, offering “data” and “statistics” until the general populous begins to believe that the school is 100% to blame for the problem. You do this via thinly veiled advocacy groups and “experts” who must know what they are talking about. Then you send in the next scammer, the voucher advocate to offer up a solution. The public is so convinced by experts that they become desperate for a solution so they run towards the shiny object, in this case charter schools and vouchers.

In this day and age you could do this with anything. Spend a decade and millions of dollars convincing people that the air inside their homes is dangerous then turn around and sell them $100 plastic bags to wear on their heads while they sleep.
This is my fear. The fact that the PPG would even run this editorial is beyond me. It undermines the very goals it is trying to accomplish, by scaring away would-be Pittsburgh residents from sending their kids to PPS.

Beyond managing the macro issues that face nearly every major urban school district in the US, one of the best things we can do is attract and retain residents who will focus on the home-aspect of education for their children and their neighbors. When the flight outpaces the progress, there is nothing one can do. Stabilizing the population of strong parents of all races, especially in the working and middle class, is one of the few things that can be done in the near term. Instead, we have "reformers" trying to scare people away from the public schools to help solve our issues. It is very disheartening.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:48 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,209 times
I'm also tired of measuring the success of public schools in terms of the percentage of students who go on to college. I'm thinking of friends and neighbors on the Northside, both black and white, who have encouraged their kids to get jobs after high school and take some classes at CCAC while learning a trade. Are their kids functional young people who add to our local economy and succeed in life? The ones I know personally, yes. Are they going to inflate statistics about PPS and college? No. After all the depressing trends in higher education -- tuitions go up, job prospects go down -- can I blame any parent who encourages their kid to learn a trade instead of going straight to college? No. We have to look at schools as part of a much bigger, more complicated picture of the city, and that's not going to happen with articles like this.

Also: coming from *NYC* and crying about the problems in PPS? Please.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:22 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
This is my fear. The fact that the PPG would even run this editorial is beyond me. It undermines the very goals it is trying to accomplish, by scaring away would-be Pittsburgh residents from sending their kids to PPS.

Beyond managing the macro issues that face nearly every major urban school district in the US, one of the best things we can do is attract and retain residents who will focus on the home-aspect of education for their children and their neighbors. When the flight outpaces the progress, there is nothing one can do. Stabilizing the population of strong parents of all races, especially in the working and middle class, is one of the few things that can be done in the near term. Instead, we have "reformers" trying to scare people away from the public schools to help solve our issues. It is very disheartening.
I never say this, but read the comments on the editorial. She's part of a (named) organization with an agenda.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:25 AM

969 posts, read 772,376 times
This is red meat for the suburbs. Plain and simple. The Post Gazette is a joke.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
I never say this, but read the comments on the editorial. She's part of a (named) organization with an agenda.
I did just that. For once, some informed comments and not the endless flame war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh