Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 09:10 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,966,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
My impression is it's the drug addicts. Is that wrong?
I think you are correct. It is not wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 07:02 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,905,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
You'd be correct. While the opioid crisis is a national issue it seems like the Southern Hilltop is Pittsburgh's epicenter of addiction.
"Overdose fatalities in Allegheny County 2008 through 2014: Hot-spotting and cold-spotting
Geospatial analysis was conducted to understand where a higher frequency of fatal overdoses
occurred. Two census tract maps were created to display the number or density of overdose
fatalities by incident location and by residential location of the person who died during the
seven-year study period. Census tracts with more than 13 overdose deaths are labeled with
the name of the neighborhood, borough or municipality that falls within that census tract.
Figure 12 displays the density of overdose death incident locations. The highest number of
opiate-related overdose deaths occurred within the census tracts that contain Spring Hill-City
View, Sharpsburg, Penn Hills, Allentown, Beechview, Mount Oliver Borough and Carrick. However,
the highest counts of overdose deaths occurred among people who also lived in some of these
census tracts (Allentown, Beechview, Carrick) and also in Bellevue.

To better understand the highest areas of concern, a “hot spot” analysis was conducted to
identify statistically significant spatial clusters of higher fatal overdose counts. The results
suggest that the areas in Allegheny County with statistically significant spatial clusters of higher counts of fatal overdoses were in the North Side and southern neighborhoods of the City, as well as the South Hills and the West End (Figure 13), and included Brookline, Carrick, Baldwin
Township and Overbrook. Little difference was observed when a hot spot analysis was conducted
by residence of overdose victim rather than where incidents occurred. This suggests that people
may be using drugs and overdosing near their residence. To confirm this interpretation, a separate
analysis was performed to assess traveling distance between where the person lived and died.
In over 82 percent of cases, victims died within a one-mile traveling distance of their residence."

http://www.achd.net/overdosepreventi...eny_County.pdf

Pages 25 & 26 of the PDF linked to above.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:07 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,166,204 times
Post Gazette article about how some feel the South Side parking changes which started in March are affecting the neighborhood. Some seem to not mind it, but as mentioned here, some businesses and workers in the area really hate the meter rules. Also as Tyovan mentioned, the parking lot and shutter to the South Side has been a total failure with only 20 riders on a weekend night. As I said, no one is going to use that stupid thing when there are plenty of spots you can find right down there.

Pittsburgh touts new South Side parking rules, including nighttime meter enforcement | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 06-26-2017, 07:11 AM

14,354 posts, read 17,064,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
"Overdose fatalities in Allegheny County 2008 through 2014: Hot-spotting and cold-spotting
Geospatial analysis was conducted to understand where a higher frequency of fatal overdoses
occurred. Two census tract maps were created to display the number or density of overdose
fatalities by incident location and by residential location of the person who died during the
seven-year study period. Census tracts with more than 13 overdose deaths are labeled with
the name of the neighborhood, borough or municipality that falls within that census tract.
Figure 12 displays the density of overdose death incident locations. The highest number of
opiate-related overdose deaths occurred within the census tracts that contain Spring Hill-City
View, Sharpsburg, Penn Hills, Allentown, Beechview, Mount Oliver Borough and Carrick. However,
the highest counts of overdose deaths occurred among people who also lived in some of these
census tracts (Allentown, Beechview, Carrick) and also in Bellevue.

To better understand the highest areas of concern, a “hot spot” analysis was conducted to
identify statistically significant spatial clusters of higher fatal overdose counts. The results
suggest that the areas in Allegheny County with statistically significant spatial clusters of higher counts of fatal overdoses were in the North Side and southern neighborhoods of the City, as well as the South Hills and the West End (Figure 13), and included Brookline, Carrick, Baldwin
Township and Overbrook. Little difference was observed when a hot spot analysis was conducted
by residence of overdose victim rather than where incidents occurred. This suggests that people
may be using drugs and overdosing near their residence. To confirm this interpretation, a separate
analysis was performed to assess traveling distance between where the person lived and died.
In over 82 percent of cases, victims died within a one-mile traveling distance of their residence."

http://www.achd.net/overdosepreventi...eny_County.pdf

Pages 25 & 26 of the PDF linked to above.
Very interesting the "cold spot" included a ton of rough areas east of the city. I mean, I know the nationwide opiate/heroin epidemic is basically a white issue, but it's pretty stunning that the likelihood of an OD death is statistically lower in Wilkinsburg than in some random rich lily-white suburb like Upper Saint Clair or McCandless.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:51 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,898,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakland21550 View Post
It isn't overreacting. I saw it happen with my own two eyes. They have no plans for anything outside of the east end of the city. At least when Luke was mayor you had projects going on in the northern and southern neighborhoods. Peduto and his administration are all east enders. Fitzgerald also lives in sq hill. It's pretty evident where the boosting is and who is getting help. Look at Natalia Rudiak, councilwoman for the south hills. She put her entire political career on the line 5 years ago to support Peduto for mayor. He used her and left her district high and dry the last four years. She didn't run again and probably would've lost if she did. I think she saw the writing on the wall and part of the reason she didn't run. She backed the wrong horse and it cost her a political career. Her top staffer made a run to save face. She was easily defeated by the challenger.

The south side is in a decline and I don't see it getting better. With the younger residents leaving the city so does the money with them. In 2020 I will wash your car for you if Pittsburgh has at least 300,000 still in the city limits. I expect it to drop in the high 280,000's. The south side will post a loss as it was one of the few neighborhoods gaining from 2000 to 2010. The fact there are so many vacancies, housing prices dropping and the works is in trouble tells me one of three things.

1. There are less people living there
2. People don't have the money to spend because of lousy wages
3. A combination of 1 and 2.

Even the lawrenceville and east liberty areas have cooled and lost a few businesses. Maybe you are right it isn't Peduto. Maybe it is the lousy local economy and less people due to the fact they are moving elsewhere for work

Your posts have hit the nail on the head. The city overall was better under Ravenstahl and the decline began as soon as the T expansion was finished. You are right. There haven't been any major projects created by Peduto except for a bus that will only serve Oakland.

I would add #4 to your list - the death of retail. In this age of the internet, communities are going to have to find other ways to fill up storefronts, if that is even possible. Go to the mills - no one would ever guess the mall is dying based on the packed restaurants. People have to accept the new reality that our traditional concepts of walkable main streets and retail centers are gone. A poster on another thread mentioned wanting more shopping downtown. It's not going to happen when nationwide retailers are closing stores and moving to online only businesses.

As an outsider, I have never understood why Pittsburgh won't focus more attention on the tourist and entertainment district on the south shore and south side. It's where everyone wants to visit when they come to the city.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:16 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,064,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post

As an outsider, I have never understood why Pittsburgh won't focus more attention on the tourist and entertainment district on the south shore and south side. It's where everyone wants to visit when they come to the city.
I'm surprised some "focus" isn't put on the northern Hills: Troy Hill, Observatory Hill, Spring Hill, etc. The views up there are amazing. *I* feel I can literally breathe easier up there when sucking in air (biking, or rapid walking).

Indeed, the housing stock doesn't take a transplant's breathe away ("Oh, I HAVE to live in one of those cute homes in Troy Hill" is probably not a thing), but then, neither was much of Lawrenceville's at one time.

Why not some kind of benefit to encourage home/structure rehabilitation, and/or job investment in those areas? I'd love to see those areas become a sort of Hollywood Hills - improved, if outright beautiful properties nestled in the hills.

I thought at one time Troy Hill was destined to become the hottest thing, to some extent. I do not think that came to fruition.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:22 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,964,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
I'm surprised some "focus" isn't put on the northern Hills: Troy Hill, Observatory Hill, Spring Hill, etc. The views up there are amazing. *I* feel I can literally breathe easier up there when sucking in air (biking, or rapid walking).

Indeed, the housing stock doesn't take a transplant's breathe away ("Oh, I HAVE to live in one of those cute homes in Troy Hill" is probably not a thing), but then, neither was much of Lawrenceville's at one time.

Why not some kind of benefit to encourage home/structure rehabilitation, and/or job investment in those areas? I'd love to see those areas become a sort of Hollywood Hills - improved, if outright beautiful properties nestled in the hills.

I thought at one time Troy Hill was destined to become the hottest thing, to some extent. I do not think that came to fruition.
Pittsburgh as a whole is slowing down from the 2012-2015 growth bonanza. Oil and Gas, one of the big drivers, is resetting. I see the city as a whole going sideways for a few years until some new companies start to settle in and grow. Peduto has chosen to put money in to the east end. Eventually someone will start looking at the North and the South again, but we're still a long way to go to get from a 20th century city into the 21st.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:21 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,905,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
I see the city as a whole going sideways for a few years until some new companies start to settle in and grow. Peduto has chosen to put money in to the east end. Eventually someone will start looking at the North and the South again, but we're still a long way to go to get from a 20th century city into the 21st.
I think the real estate bubble we're in is going to burst. Population is rather flat - eventually the luxury condo boom and the hotel boom has to stop.

I'm also concerned about what effect Potatohead's grandstanding over Uber is going to have on future investment. He rolled out the red carpet for them - and then once they were here, he tried to trap them into supporting his initiatives and is now slamming them.

To me, this isn't a precedent that is going to inspire investor confidence in bringing new companies to this city.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:52 AM

14,354 posts, read 17,064,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Pittsburgh as a whole is slowing down from the 2012-2015 growth bonanza. Oil and Gas, one of the big drivers, is resetting. I see the city as a whole going sideways for a few years until some new companies start to settle in and grow. Peduto has chosen to put money in to the east end. Eventually someone will start looking at the North and the South again, but we're still a long way to go to get from a 20th century city into the 21st.
I don't think the shale boom really helped the City of Pittsburgh's real estate market at all. I mean, I'm sure there are isolated individuals who wanted to commute from the city to Southpointe, but they would be in the minority (both due to the demographics of energy extraction workers along with the distance).

Quote:
I'm also concerned about what effect Potatohead's grandstanding over Uber is going to have on future investment. He rolled out the red carpet for them - and then once they were here, he tried to trap them into supporting his initiatives and is now slamming them.
It doesn't matter in Uber's case, because the company's days are numbered. It has never made a profit, has no hopes of ever making a profit, and tons of woes on the level of senior management.

I mean, I'm sure the self-driving work will be poached when the company liquidates in a few years, which means it might not have a big effect on the local Pittsburgh market. And all the drivers will just switch to Lyft or whatever other new services arise. But still, I'd be shocked if they're still around by 2020.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:25 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,166,204 times
Quote:
I think the real estate bubble we're in is going to burst. Population is rather flat - eventually the luxury condo boom and the hotel boom has to stop.

To me, this isn't a precedent that is going to inspire investor confidence in bringing new companies to this city.
Have you been paying attention to the news about Uber in the last couple of months?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh