Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 11:34 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times

Advertisements

It has come to my attention that a certain subdivision IN the city pays the city for extra patrols. Uniformed officers in marked patrol cars providing extra patrols for an affluent community. How do we feel about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 11:42 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,394,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
It has come to my attention that a certain subdivision IN the city pays the city for extra patrols. Uniformed officers in marked patrol cars providing extra patrols for an affluent community. How do we feel about this?
You can rent an officer dressed in a full uniform to be a bouncer at a bar, why not rent one to make your neighborhood safer.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:54 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
This should be outlawed and here is way. I will use the Original Hot Dog as an example. The O used to hire an off duty officer all the time and they at some point stopped. I noticed the police were not across the street anymore and the patrolling was much less on that very busy block. Hmmm, why? I find this can lead to extortion. If you don't hire a cop off duty, we are not going to give a crap about your area. Is it already happening with these homeowners? What if they stop wanting an off duty cop, will the cops talk and they will boycott that area because they changed their mind? I think off duty work should be illegal in the city limits because of what it leads to. Oh and someone was murdered down the street from the O after they stopped hiring an off duty cop. I think that person might still be alive today if the cops were across the street like they used to be. JMHO.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:03 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
This should be outlawed and here is way. I will use the Original Hot Dog as an example. The O used to hire an off duty officer all the time and they at some point stopped. I noticed the police were not across the street anymore and the patrolling was much less on that very busy block. Hmmm, why? I find this can lead to extortion. If you don't hire a cop off duty, we are not going to give a crap about your area. Is it already happening with these homeowners? What if they stop wanting an off duty cop, will the cops talk and they will boycott that area because they changed their mind? I think off duty work should be illegal in the city limits because of what it leads to. Oh and someone was murdered down the street from the O after they stopped hiring an off duty cop. I think that person might still be alive today if the cops were across the street like they used to be. JMHO.
Conspiracy theory much? Isn't/Hasn't there been a shortage of city police officers?

Actually, anyone that wants to hire and pay for security should have every right to do so. It's called being proactive.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:06 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Conspiracy theory much?

Actually, anyone that wants to hire more security has every right to do so. It's called being proactive.
That's what private security companies are for. Renting uniformed cops in patrol cars is essentially buying preferential treatment from the government.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
That's what private security companies are for. Renting uniformed cops in patrol cars is essentially buying preferential treatment from the government.
Are private security companies allowed to police city roads?

Are these cops being hired off duty and working on their off days or off time?

Is the use of the patrol cars being paid for?

Old 08-12-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
You can rent an officer dressed in a full uniform to be a bouncer at a bar, why not rent one to make your neighborhood safer.
Bingo.

Old 08-12-2017, 03:10 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,498 times
Quote:
I'm really not going to get into it here, but hopefully nobody will be surprised that I'm with you, gladhands. I can pretty much already guess who is and isn't.

Old 08-12-2017, 03:20 PM

It's refreshing to hear about someone/people doing something about an issue they have, rather than complaining about it and expecting someone else to fix it for them.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:28 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
What's your source for this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh