Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2017, 07:53 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Exactly and when they are older, many will go to the burbs to start their families. Not all of course, but the urban living thing has limitations for most people, for a variety of reasons (some may want to, but there's an affordability issue as well0.
Everything I've read suggests that while the exodus to the suburbs hasn't slowed that much from a generation ago, the type of young people moving to the suburbs has. It used to be that working-class young people tended to stick to the city, while college-educated young people moved to the suburbs eventually. Now that's inverted to a large degree, with those who are wealthier and more educated more likely to stick it out with city living for longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 07:59 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Everything I've read suggests that while the exodus to the suburbs hasn't slowed that much from a generation ago, the type of young people moving to the suburbs has. It used to be that working-class young people tended to stick to the city, while college-educated young people moved to the suburbs eventually. Now that's inverted to a large degree, with those who are wealthier and more educated more likely to stick it out with city living for longer.
This. The kind of highly educated professionals who make up much of Amazon's workforce are choosing the city.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:59 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
i agree. i think the average age of having kids and buying a house getting higher have contributed to this as well.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
This. The kind of highly educated professionals who make up much of Amazon's workforce are choosing the city.
"Picking Boston would disappoint many Amazon employees with families hoping for a more suburban location like Austin, Texas, that offers affordable housing options beyond apartments and condominiums, said Brittain Ladd, a supply chain consultant who used to work for the company and still knows a lot of people there."

“Texas is absolutely the best choice from the perspective of associates,” Ladd said. “Amazon associates are sick and tired of living in cities with high rents and congestion.”

i understand this goes against your narrative but they are real quotes from amazon employees.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...d-headquarters

Old 09-14-2017, 08:06 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,141,538 times
Boston burbs ain't cheap either.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:16 AM

969 posts, read 772,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
"Picking Boston would disappoint many Amazon employees with families hoping for a more suburban location like Austin, Texas, that offers affordable housing options beyond apartments and condominiums, said Brittain Ladd, a supply chain consultant who used to work for the company and still knows a lot of people there."

“Texas is absolutely the best choice from the perspective of associates,” Ladd said. “Amazon associates are sick and tired of living in cities with high rents and congestion.”

i understand this goes against your narrative but they are real quotes from amazon employees.

So defensive of burb life. That's nothing more than an anecdote you quote. You would like to think all Amazon employees yearn for the open sprawl of the suburbs. That's your narrative.

People that work there want both, and Pittsburgh can offer both at prices that major tier 1 cities cannot.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:20 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post

I read this as the associates being sick and tired of cities *with high rents and congestion*, not sick of cities full stop. That's the whole point of Pittsburgh; our rent may be going up and traffic getting worse, but it's still nothing compared to cities like NYC/Boston/SF/DC/etc.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
So defensive of burb life. That's nothing more than an anecdote you quote. You would like to think all Amazon employees yearn for the open sprawl of the suburbs. That's your narrative.

People that work there want both, and Pittsburgh can offer both at prices that major tier 1 cities cannot.
When did I say that people yearn for sprawl? I entirely agree that people want both. The "highly educated employees" will choose both the city and the suburban areas.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:35 AM

354 posts, read 475,786 times
The median home value in Austin is $323k. In Dallas, its $167k. In Pgh, its $124k. I think the point is employees want to be able to afford single family housing, not merely to be in a more sprawling area (which not incidentally tend to have worse traffic issues.) I think Pgh wins on that specific quote.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:38 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
I'm not big on granting all kinds of perks to corporations, but this may be the exception. It would really look good on Pgh's permanent record card to have them headquartered here. Plus, all those millennial types ride bikes and Bicycle Bill has taken care of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh