Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2017, 12:25 PM

684 posts, read 419,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Even if I didn't have a vested interest, I'd clearly see that Pittsburgh was a great fit. There are a lot of suburbanites on this forum who resent Pittsburgh's resurgence and it's transformation into a tech hub.
What does that mean? I haven't seen anyone here that resents positive PGH stuff. Besides, suburbs like Cranberry, etc. are ultimately "Pittsburgh" anyway. Any benefits that occur because of this or anything else doesn't make a hard stop just because of some line drawn on a map.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 12:26 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
Good points. I suppose we should also consider the potential unintended consequences of adding these jobs to Pittsburgh. Increased housing costs, certainly. But perhaps that would be really good for the declining suburbs and mill towns as people are forced to look outside of the city.
Yeah. I grew up on the East Coast, not far from an economically depressed city (Bridgeport, CT). It's interesting in retrospect, because even though a lot of the neighborhoods were (and still are) undesirable and high crime, there isn't much in the way of abandoned buildings or vacant lots, and there never has been. Property values were high enough even in bad neighborhoods that no one thought of just leaving homes vacant to rot, so even as local manufacturing jobs evaporated the city developed a new life as a residential hub for people working low-wage service sector jobs in the surrounding suburbs.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:31 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
Good points. I suppose we should also consider the potential unintended consequences of adding these jobs to Pittsburgh. Increased housing costs, certainly. But perhaps that would be really good for the declining suburbs and mill towns as people are forced to look outside of the city.
let's not forget many would also look outside of city by default. there are more people than young urban childless professionals that would work at this company and they would seek out the best districts. there are those that do prefer the inclusion and diversity of pps though, but people looking outside of city schools isn't unique to pittsburgh.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:43 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
let's not forget many would also look outside of city by default. there are more people than young urban childless professionals that would work at this company and they would seek out the best districts. there are those that do prefer the inclusion and diversity of pps though, but people looking outside of city schools isn't unique to pittsburgh.
True. Those jobs could certainly lead to much of the worst kind of modern suburban sprawl, while the older communities continued to rot. It's hard to be optimistic.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:27 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,389,593 times
Seems to me cons:
Uber publicly complained it has a hard time attracting talent to Pittsburgh. Which is precisely what Amazon wants to do. And they want 50,000 talented persons.
Amazon wants direct flights to New York, DC, and Seattle. I think Seattle was a problem, but PA could subsidize that route.
Amazon is green and wants public transportation. Not something Pittsburgh excels at. Should of hung on to that trolley system.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:30 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
Seems to me cons:
Uber publicly complained it has a hard time attracting talent to Pittsburgh. Which is precisely what Amazon wants to do. And they want 50,000 talented persons.
Amazon wants direct flights to New York, DC, and Seattle. I think Seattle was a problem, but PA could subsidize that route.
Amazon is green and wants public transportation. Not something Pittsburgh excels at. Should of hung on to that trolley system.
how is a company whose core business model is on demand delivery of nonessential goods and services using unnecessary packaging waste "green" in any aspect of the word? the hypocrisy is unbelievable. they are trying to escaping the sprawl that they them self created and enabled through their services.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:31 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,389,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Actually, I don't know or see any suburbanites here that resent a resurgence, and suburbanites that regularly visit the city like I do would love to see Amazon build here and help the city get better. It needs all the help it can get.
Sort of the reason Cranberry happened.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:42 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
Sort of the reason Cranberry happened.
Cranberry happened because farmers and their children opted to take the cash for their land rather than continuing to farm it. When Franklin Park, Wexford, etc..., became more populated and less land was available, many people looked 10-20 minutes North to an area with many amenities, not to mention many jobs they were looking for along with getting a whole lot more bang for their buck across the county line.

Old 09-08-2017, 02:01 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,141,538 times
Quote:
Cranberry happened because farmers and their children opted to take the cash for their land rather than continuing to farm it. When Franklin Park, Wexford, etc..., became more populated and less land was available, many people looked 10-20 minutes North to an area with many amenities, not to mention many jobs they were looking for along with getting a whole lot more bang for their buck across the county line.
It grew because there was a lot of available land adjacent to both 79 and the Turnpike and that increased when 279 opened at the end of the 80s.

Being outside of Allegheny county might be a big consideration for some, but the area would like grow for the above reasons regardless.

Old 09-08-2017, 02:11 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
It grew because there was a lot of available land adjacent to both 79 and the Turnpike and that increased when 279 opened at the end of the 80s.

Being outside of Allegheny county might be a big consideration for some, but the area would like grow for the above reasons regardless.
And that land became available because those that owned that land took the money rather than continuing to farm it.

The area would've grown whether it was in Allegheny County or not due to less land being available just north of it, however, not being in Allegheny County made/makes it even more appealing and a reason it continues to boom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh