Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2018, 10:02 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embassyone View Post
Pittsburgh is looking at Amazon to be an economic savior for the region. I’m not sure how attractive that will be for Amazon when it is all said and done. Columbus, Indianapolis and all of the other cities don’t need Amazon to save their economy. They are doing just fine and growing with new jobs on their own. Pittsburgh isn’t. Pittsburgh always looks for the big home rum in instead of diversifying their economy with hundreds of startups, branch offices or small business expansion. Also Pittsburgh is desperate for new tax revenue and money to save a failing water system.

I know Columbus isn’t hurting for tax dollars. They have the best financial rating a US city can attain. They offered 100 percent tax free land next to downtown in three locations. One being at Ohio State University. On top of the tax abatement, the city will use all the amazon wage tax to build light rail and a new billion dollar international airport. You also have OSU airport and rickenbacker which is cargo and allegiant flights in the city limits in Addison to John Glenn international which has nearly the same passenger volume as Pitt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 10:04 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
I will add you to my ever growing blocked list...
Yes, one must live in one's own echo chamber to confirm how correct one is. Of course I am probably blocked, but the rest of us can enjoy this. Gotta love the echo chamber folks.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:20 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Embassyone View Post
Pittsburgh is looking at Amazon to be an economic savior for the region. I’m not sure how attractive that will be for Amazon when it is all said and done. Columbus, Indianapolis and all of the other cities don’t need Amazon to save their economy. They are doing just fine and growing with new jobs on their own. Pittsburgh isn’t. Pittsburgh always looks for the big home rum in instead of diversifying their economy with hundreds of startups, branch offices or small business expansion. Also Pittsburgh is desperate for new tax revenue and money to save a failing water system.

You gotta be a troll, an ill informed one at that. Remember, big steel town? Reinvented itself with eds and meds.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:27 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post

You gotta be a troll, an ill informed one at that. Remember, big steel town? Reinvented itself with eds and meds.
Maybe a troll, but “eds and meds”is not really “small startups”. Considering the hold UPMC has on the region, I’m not sure I’d call it diversification.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:56 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
Maybe a troll, but “eds and meds”is not really “small startups”. Considering the hold UPMC has on the region, I’m not sure I’d call it diversification.

Whatever. I'm a small start up as are 3 of my neighbors. How's that?

Old 01-19-2018, 11:21 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,774,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
Venture capital funding in Pittsburgh companies doubles in a year | TribLIVE

Old 01-19-2018, 11:43 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,439 times
https://www.recode.net/2018/1/18/169...nalist-compare

interesting take on the issue. of note is pittsburgh's low ranking on tech talent. it looks like they are going on quantity more than quality. atlanta looks to take the cake here and that is my bet.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:04 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,354 times
Yes, glad to hear it, and there’s this
https://www.nextpittsburgh.com/lates...manufacturing/

I’m just saying UPMC is not a great example of a small dynamic startup. Sometimes I can agree with the premise but think someone still is not putting forth a great argument.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:05 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
https://www.recode.net/2018/1/18/169...nalist-compare

interesting take on the issue. of note is pittsburgh's low ranking on tech talent. it looks like they are going on quantity more than quality. atlanta looks to take the cake here and that is my bet.
Amazon is known for ridiculously high turnover - median turnover is within one year. Amazon actually doesn't want turnover to be that high - one of the benefits of being in a not so tech-bro city would be that more people would be "locked in" and not jump for another tech job ASAP. But it's still going to be important to locate somewhere that a steady stream of tech talent can be recruited - which means near one or more large STEM-heavy schools constantly pumping out graduates.

Last edited by eschaton; 01-19-2018 at 12:26 PM..

Old 01-19-2018, 12:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I've actually never been to Denver, but it's on my short-list once I'm not broke in a couple of years and can travel further than Wheeling. I also want to visit Boulder to see the pedestrian mall and Louisville to see the trail networks you've talked about. Maybe Golden and Estes Park, too.
You've been to the Denver forum, though, a few times anyway. I think that's what xdv8 was advocating. S/he hates the thought of someone "foreign" invading his/her bubble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh