Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 09:35 AM

508 posts, read 889,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
It’s obvious that this is a troll post, but how many black people have you seen at a Penguins game?How many have you known to make shop chipped ham or strawberry pretzel Jell-O? How many have you heard say “yinz”, “dahntahn” or “needs done”?
So doing and saying those things makes one a Yinzer? What are black Pittsburghers then? Chopped liver? I donno, if I'm coming off as a troll then maybe you're coming off as a racist. In which case this thread should be closed. I see plenty of black Pittsburghers living side by side in super nice houses in the eastern 'burbs mowing their lawns with the requisite sports regalia. And, yeah, "needs done" I have heard black cashiers say....Yinz and Dahntahn that I have to admit I haven't heard a black person say. So what's your point?

The consensus on the thread is: the term "Yinzer" is derogatory and the term applies to white people only. Two things I did not know before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 09:36 AM

112 posts, read 161,632 times
I don't know if I agree that Pittsburgh is #2 in the worst drivers ever category. Have you even driven in Boston? The gas pedal is connected to the horn there. Same thing with New Jersey. That said, if I weren't from around here I would not want to drive anywhere here. Not due to the drivers, but instead due to the constant construction, ****ty signage, skinny roads not meant for 2 cars, hills.
I do agree that Pittsburgh isn't as cheap as some people think. Our gas costs have skyrocketed, taxes are obscene etc.
I've encountered both friendly and rude people here all throughout the city. It's like a box o chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:39 AM

508 posts, read 889,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirus226 View Post
I don't know if I agree that Pittsburgh is #2 in the worst drivers ever category. Have you even driven in Boston? The gas pedal is connected to the horn there. Same thing with New Jersey. That said, if I weren't from around here I would not want to drive anywhere here. Not due to the drivers, but instead due to the constant construction, ****ty signage, skinny roads not meant for 2 cars, hills.
I do agree that Pittsburgh isn't as cheap as some people think. Our gas costs have skyrocketed, taxes are obscene etc.
I've encountered both friendly and rude people here all throughout the city. It's like a box o chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.
You're right, you're being fair and balanced. Downtown Boston is a nightmare because of the way the original settlers set it up. But the suburbs aren't too awful. I've lived in Malden, Waltham, and all the way up in Lowell before without much of a problem from drivers. There is no "Boston Left" but there sure is a "Pittsburgh Left." They also have double decker highways in some stretches which relieves traffic and circulation...something to think about.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:09 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,957,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryRSpooner View Post
So doing and saying those things makes one a Yinzer? What are black Pittsburghers then? Chopped liver? I donno, if I'm coming off as a troll then maybe you're coming off as a racist. In which case this thread should be closed. I see plenty of black Pittsburghers living side by side in super nice houses in the eastern 'burbs mowing their lawns with the requisite sports regalia. And, yeah, "needs done" I have heard black cashiers say....Yinz and Dahntahn that I have to admit I haven't heard a black person say. So what's your point?

The consensus on the thread is: the term "Yinzer" is derogatory and the term applies to white people only. Two things I did not know before.
*Sigh* yinzer, like redneck, is a very specific thing. A black southerner I might live in the country, drive a truck and fish, but no one would call him a redneck.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:15 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,916,334 times
Quote:
No, Millennial hipsters move here for one main reason: affordable housing. Let's leave the ancestors out of it because they're in the grave. Poland is great again because the Democratic Party, er I mean the Communist Party is no longer in charge. They don't have Peduto running the show.

HA! Poland is great again? Poland is a disaster under the Law and Justice Party that took control with only 37.6% of the vote. They are now working to implement a narrow, nationalistic, isolationist, and ideological outlook on the rest of the country. The party's agenda is described as "systematic anti-liberalism with a seasoning of resentment and paranoia”. Hmmmm, sound familiar?

As for yinzers being unfriendly, I am not sure. I am not from here, but my neighbors are all Pgh born and bred, and they are beyond nice from the day I met them. Perhaps they can be a little eccentric sometimes, but who isn't?

Old 11-08-2017, 10:16 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,956,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
It’s obvious that this is a troll post, but how many black people have you seen at a Penguins game?How many have you known to make shop chipped ham or strawberry pretzel Jell-O? How many have you heard say “yinz”, “dahntahn” or “needs done”?
I am a black native of the city of Pittsburgh and region. I can tell you that black folk LOVE strawberry pretzel Jell-O. We call it pretzel salad. Islay's made chipped ham universal. My mother used to buy it years ago. We never ate bologna we would often times have chipped ham sandwiches. Chipped ham is a Pittsburgh thing.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:30 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,944,722 times
The opinions of people that seek to make these types of generalizations about entire cities, and hundreds of thousands of people, are easily discounted as simplistic and reductionist.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:

Growing up in the East End most people especially black were not exposed to Yinzers. Back then Lawrenceville was a isolated community and the people were not seen or heard. Bloomfield was more visible but again most Pittsburgh residents never really acknowledged them. Yinzers are white, poor or a generation removed, and wore beat up LA Gear tennis shoes with Metallica T shirts complete with a over bleached mullet. You could spot a Yinzer a mile away. My first experience with a Yinzer did not happen until Highschool. Taylor Allderdice was diverse and many cultures intersected. Yinzers were from Lincoln Place and lower Greenfield.

The Southside was the epicenter of Yinzerdom. Again back then there was nothing on the Southside except for bars. The black people on the southside were weird as well. Yinzers and poor blacks interacted more with one another and some even took on the Yinzer fashion. This is still true to this day.

The east end is and was "liberal" but black and white people do not mix no matter the economic status.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:

Racist? Please explain.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:57 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,694,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Chipped ham is a Pittsburgh thing.
Exactly. Chipped chopped ham (as it's referred to in other locales) is NOT a Pittsburgh thing. Big difference. Seriously
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh