Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 08:06 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,389,593 times

Advertisements

Have to confess, I've never tried it.

New Pittsburgh Brewing owner wants to rebuild Iron City's iconic status | TribLIVE

I just assumed it was a cheaply made beer for the masses, or Steelworkers that don't care so long as it's basically beer. They use to make a million barrels a year but now it down to around 100,000. Don't know how they make Iron City but I suggest keeping it to the correct ingredients. I remember seeing Budweiser advertise they use Water,Yeast, Barley Malt, Hops, and Rice. ....Rice? That's not supposed to be in beer. A Kittanning mining company now owns it so I hope they go for an upgrade.

Last edited by krogerDisco; 01-30-2018 at 09:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 08:07 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Headache in a bottle, rarely drank that swill.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:09 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
IC Light tastes like water. IC is worse, but not as bad as PBR. Duquesne is better, if you want a local beer of that style.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:18 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Iron is just like most beers of its style, but Iron did improve quite a bit when they relocated because the water table out that way is naturally soft, which took away that old Iron bite it had. Personally, I think Iron is as good as the next beer of its style. Duquesne taste too sweet for me. I will occasionally have an Iron, but that style of beer isn't what I normally drink. It gets a bad name for no reason IMHO. Certainly better than Bud, Coors, PBR and the like due to the new brewing location, yet those brands do pretty well. Kind of rubs me the wrong way to see so many people drinking Coors and Bud and not supporting Iron. Guess it is their mind that those beers are somehow better. Hardly.

Old 01-30-2018, 02:34 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
Have to confess, I've never tried it.

New Pittsburgh Brewing owner wants to rebuild Iron City's iconic status | TribLIVE

I just assumed it was a cheaply made beer for the masses, or Steelworkers that don't care so long as it's basically beer. They use to make a million barrels a year but now it down to around 100,000. Don't know how they make Iron City but I suggest keeping it to the correct ingredients. I remember seeing Budweiser advertise they use Water,Yeast, Barley Malt, Hops, and Rice. ....Rice? That's not supposed to be in beer. A Kittanning mining company now owns it so I hope they go for an upgrade.
almost all the big brewers use rice to get sugars instead of using only barley. Rice is much cheaper to use for large scale brewing. It would not be feasible for a company to be able to produce $10-15 cases of beer without using rice. Rarely would you ever see a more craft brewer ( even a behemoth like sam Adams) use rice.

Old 01-30-2018, 05:00 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Kind of rubs me the wrong way to see so many people drinking Coors and Bud and not supporting Iron. Guess it is their mind that those beers are somehow better. Hardly.
It has to do with the presumed inferiority of Pittsburgh icons and a general increase in food snobbery over the last 20 years. Iron City is no worse than Budweiser, Miller, Coors or Pabst Blue Ribbon, but because it's popular with the locals and not brewed by a bunch of hipsters, people go out of their way to deride it. And because it's never been an award-winning beer, its popularity is often used as an example of the locals' supposed lack of sophistication, even though the Pennsylvania Brewing Company has several award-winning beers, all of which are brewed on the North Side and popular locally, and was also founded two years before the much-more-heavily-publicized Great Lakes Brewing Company. Pittsburghers have been doing great beer for much longer than most people realize, and don't get nearly enough credit for it.

Old 01-30-2018, 05:42 PM

969 posts, read 772,565 times
I'd like to see the Pittsburgh Brewing Company building on Liberty in LV make a comeback. It has been slowly demolished over the last decade and has gotten to the point where it is disturbing the sidewalk and traffic in a significant way.

Old 01-30-2018, 06:04 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
It has to do with the presumed inferiority of Pittsburgh icons and a general increase in food snobbery over the last 20 years. Iron City is no worse than Budweiser, Miller, Coors or Pabst Blue Ribbon, but because it's popular with the locals and not brewed by a bunch of hipsters, people go out of their way to deride it. And because it's never been an award-winning beer, its popularity is often used as an example of the locals' supposed lack of sophistication, even though the Pennsylvania Brewing Company has several award-winning beers, all of which are brewed on the North Side and popular locally, and was also founded two years before the much-more-heavily-publicized Great Lakes Brewing Company. Pittsburghers have been doing great beer for much longer than most people realize, and don't get nearly enough credit for it.
I agree with much of the above.

If I recall correctly, Sam Adams' brews were originally brewed at / by the Pittsburgh Brewing Company.??

I am a bit of a beer (ale, specifically) snob. But, whenever I am back in town and visit Primanti Bros., I always have an Iron City with my cheese steak.

Old 01-30-2018, 06:07 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
I agree with much of the above.

If I recall correctly, Sam Adams' brews were originally brewed at / by the Pittsburgh Brewing Company.??

I am a bit of a beer (ale, specifically) snob. But, whenever I am back in town and visit Primanti Bros., I always have an Iron City with my cheese steak.
Yes, on Sam Adams.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:13 PM

130 posts, read 122,605 times
IC Light is the only light beer I drink. Put it in a lineup against similar beers (Bud Light, Miller Light, Coors Light) and it holds up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh