Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 07:37 AM

14,354 posts, read 17,061,699 times

Advertisements

The Post-Gazette had this interesting article the other day. Basically, in the last three years, the city has added 4,600 new apartment units - more than in the previous 15 years combined. And nearly 3,500 more units are in the pipeline to be completed in the next two years. This building boom has slowed rental rate increases in the city considerably - which most people would consider a good thing.

However, the effect has not been felt evenly. The new luxury apartments are still having essentially no problem leasing at full capacity. But older, more dated units are seeing rising vacancy levels, which is forcing them to update units, and cut rent - or at least stop increasing rent.

There's an interesting set of graphs to go along with the article. Essentially rental vacancies remain low in the "Oakland-facing" neighborhoods like Oakland itself, Shadyside, Bloomfield, East Liberty, and Squirrel Hill. However, they are higher in neighborhoods which are more convenient to Downtown, but less to Oakland. This likely shows that even with the new higher-end apartments, Pitt and CMU students will still move into virtually any unit a short distance from the campuses if it has the right rental price.

Given a lot of the dated rental units are in chopped-up houses, I am optimistic this pressure on dated units will cause some of the 2-3 units to get converted back into single family houses. I also wonder if it may cause some of them to be converted into mini-condo buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 07:52 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,964,667 times
Unfortunately I see less possibility of some of these chopped units getting converted back to SFH except in maybe Squirrel Hill because the marginal cost of running a dated apartment is pretty low vs the capital loss taken selling it low enough to encourage renovation back to SFH.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:11 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,162,773 times
I have been seeing some conversion of homes in Friendship to SFH. I think this neighborhood is ripe for it, though not being in the Allderdice feeder hurts it somewhat. I also think we will see some conversion in Shadyside. There are some rentals in each of these neighborhoods that are so far beyond repair that any change in ownership requiring a new occupancy permit (which will likely occur as the small landlords age) might force low enough sale prices to make conversion a viable option.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:41 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,684,261 times
Heh. Can someone cue my landlady in on this that increasing rent annually on a unit that hasn't been updated since the 1980's is something she should stop doing before I move out to a much nicer unit in a much nicer neighborhood for minimally more rent?

Old 03-01-2018, 10:02 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,964,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Heh. Can someone cue my landlady in on this that increasing rent annually on a unit that hasn't been updated since the 1980's is something she should stop doing before I move out to a much nicer unit in a much nicer neighborhood for minimally more rent?
I’m pretty sure only you or others in your building actually moving out will clue her in.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:06 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,907,927 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
I’m pretty sure only you or others in your building actually moving out will clue her in.
What L_I_T said. If you keep paying her, SCR, she'd be crazy not to keep taking it.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:07 AM

I do wonder what will happen in the longer run to areas like this in Squirrel Hill. Squirrel Hill's old apartment stock dates back to 1920s in some cases. As new units have opened up elsewhere, the rental market has stayed healthy, but become increasingly dominated by students. But with more and more units becoming available in Oakland itself, will this "Oakland spillover" continue indefinitely?

Old 03-01-2018, 10:12 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,401,537 times
Quote:

You could buy a duplex and live for free, there is no way I would pay as much as you do in rent.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
You could buy a duplex and live for free, there is no way I would pay as much as you do in rent.
Not to pile on SCR, but it's not like, as he has noted repeatedly, Polish Hill is particularly convenient to live in. I mean, it has the basics (coffee shop, neighborhood market, a few bars, etc), but he could easily find a ****ty apartment in Bloomfield or Friendship within the same price range and be able to walk within a reasonable length of time to three times as many things.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:22 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,684,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Not to pile on SCR, but it's not like, as he has noted repeatedly, Polish Hill is particularly convenient to live in. I mean, it has the basics (coffee shop, neighborhood market, a few bars, etc), but he could easily find a ****ty apartment in Bloomfield or Friendship within the same price range and be able to walk within a reasonable length of time to three times as many things.
The "neighborhood market" is out of business, and the coffee shop is also temporarily out of business as it undergoes an ownership change and rebranding. So right now I can walk to a records store (useless), comic book store (useless), pest management office (useless), architectural studio (useless), or three dive bars (useless).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh