Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 10:50 AM

5 posts, read 4,922 times

Advertisements

I am looking into neighborhoods to buy a home in. I am in a range of $100-$120K range. Of course, a safe neighborhood is important I rent in the Bellevue/Avalon area now. I can definintely get what I'm looking for here, except the taxes are absurd. With the level of taxes, I can't afford as much of a house.
I've also been looking in the Millvale/Etna area, but I they're small enough areas that not many houses come for sale.
I've recently been investigating Carnegie. I love areas that have a small town. But I'm not sure how bad that commute would be?
I've also been looking into Brookline and Beechview. The commute on the T seems desirable, but I'm also wondering what the drive would be like.
Any input is appreciated
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 10:57 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,919,865 times
I have been commuting to downtown daily from Brookline for over 7 years. The bus line in Brookline is very reliable for commuting to downtown during the work week, however late night and weekends it is much less useful. I believe it is once an hour on Saturdays and doesn't run at all on Sundays. If you work pretty standard hours during the week it is every 10 mins during peak hours and my commute is around 25 mins from stop to desk. I rarely drive as the bus is easier and cheaper, but its about the same depending on your route. I tend to take the Liberty Tubes and then drop down to South Side, then to 2nd Avenue and into downtown from there.

I would add that since it is a Brookline to downtown bus route, with no other areas serviced, the bus is pretty boring, which is a good thing. It is mainly downtown workers and high school kids.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:09 AM

Very helpful, thank you! Is there a reason you choose the bus over the T?

Old 03-13-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckobob View Post
Very helpful, thank you! Is there a reason you choose the bus over the T?

The T is not really in Brookline. There are some far edges of the neighborhood that can walk to it, but the bus goes right down the Blvd and Pioneer to the busway. It's a little over a block to my stop from my front door. I used to drive to Dormont to catch the T when I first moved to Brookline but that was too much effort and I wouldn't always get a seat. I think some people have a bad experience with a bus and then write it off for good. I used to take the 51 and would understand that, but the 39 Brookline is a whole different world compared to other bus routes.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:15 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
I've also been looking into Brookline and Beechview. The commute on the T seems desirable, but I'm also wondering what the drive would be like.
Any input is appreciated
Thanks!
Would you be traveling during typical rush hour times?

Old 03-13-2018, 11:24 AM

Yep! Usually leave around 7:30-8am for downtown. Leave downtown for home between 4-5pm

Old 03-13-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Yep! Usually leave around 7:30-8am for downtown. Leave downtown for home between 4-5pm
That's a good schedule for the bus in Brookline. I usually catch the 7:18 (closer to the beginning of the route) and am at my desk at 7:40. In the afternoons I try to catch the 4:24 at Burlington and I am in my kitchen before 5 pm. What I like about taking the bus, if there is something I need to do on the Blvd after work you can just jump off a few stops early. Dry cleaning, tailor, liquor store, its all right there.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:28 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Taking the T downtown from Beechview generally takes 15-20 minutes. Driving, especially during rush hour, will be longer. It's not a long distance, but crawling down Banksville or West Liberty through the tunnels, then maneuvering downtown to get to parking could take twice as long.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:04 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,702,142 times
Houses certainly better in Brookline with more greenspace and better downtown. $120k won't get you much though. As much as I would hope Beechview comes around it's a long road ahead. Though the new city council person Coghill lives in Beechview so there may be hope.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:21 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,284,007 times
make sure to factor in all costs of the transaction including real estate transfer tax, which is now 4% of the price of the house due at closing in the city. outside of the city it is around 2%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh