Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 07:02 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,017,204 times

Advertisements

And so, my fellow forumers, we have worked our way through the alphabet of Pittsburgh neighborhoods, going from A to...W, and end with Windgap. If only I had anything of interest to say about the neighborhood.

Windgap is one of the less known neighborhoods in the West End of Pittsburgh. It borders the city neighborhoods of Chartiers City and Sheraden to the east, and Fairywood to the west. It also has small borders with Ingram, MCKees Rocks, and Kennedy Township. It's actually never been clear to me if Windgap actually has an identity as a neighborhood really. If you look at the neighborhood on satellite view there are two distinct residential areas which don't actually border one another. The northern one is directly adjacent to Chartiers City and part of the same block structure - functionally speaking the same neighborhood. Indeed, Chartiers Playground and Chartiers Early Childhood Center are both actually in Windgap. The "Windgap side" has historically been white, while Chartiers City was black, but this is less true now, with the area beginning to transition into a majority black "suburb" as well. The southern portion of Windgap is much smaller - basically an extension of western Sheraden (also called Corliss) on the opposite side of Middletown Avenue. This area is also very suburban, but less integrated.

Both sides of Chartiers are heavily dominated by suburban housing stock. Something like 40% of all building stock in the neighborhood was built between 1960 and 1979. There are some "interwar" blocks - particularly in the southern part of the neighborhood, but nothing which really passes for "urban." It seems like there was a very small business district around this intersection at one point, but aside from a daycare and a locally famous ice cream shop (which supposedly has the largest cone in Pittsburgh) there's not much left.

And so we've come to the end of the road. Still, I can't let go. Seriously though, Pittsburgh neighborhoods are done, but I still have 39 municipalities to go on the suburb of the week side, which means I'll still be doing weekly posts into 2019. The question is, is there anything else city-related I should be doing in the meantime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 07:21 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,693,044 times
Perhaps enjoying some time off

Is there a way on here to collect all of the neighborhood threads together in one place alphabetically? Thanks for your insights. I and others enjoy these discussions.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:42 AM

433 posts, read 287,149 times
Appreciate the plethora of great information! Somehow, you seem to have insider information and articulate it quite well. Hell, you probably have more information about my own neighborhood than I.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:08 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,598,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
And so we've come to the end of the road. Still, I can't let go. Seriously though, Pittsburgh neighborhoods are done, but I still have 39 municipalities to go on the suburb of the week side, which means I'll still be doing weekly posts into 2019. The question is, is there anything else city-related I should be doing in the meantime?
Yes, thank you for these threads, they have been pretty fantastic. I don't mean to make demands, but since you asked...one idea would be to just start over again at "A" and bump an old neighborhood thread once a week, and ask people for updates. The city is changing so fast, and a lot of the threads mention local projects that might have made progress (or not) since this series began...

Old 04-09-2018, 08:48 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,959,717 times
Eschaton, sir, you are a scholar and a gentleman and I salute you for your efforts. I feel like these threads or at least your posts should be archived for future city data’ers to be able to pull up. They have been well informed and excellent intros to all the areas Pittsburghers call home. Thank you!

Old 04-09-2018, 09:21 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,944,722 times
Thank you, Eschaton, for all your efforts on this series.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:29 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,052,111 times
Windgap is rather wide open and spacious, which can be a refreshing change of pace.

It is not a long walk to more retail in McKees Rocks, and a short drive to other shopping needs.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:37 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,957,035 times
I really appreciate the work you’ve done on this series. Thanks.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:29 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,459,429 times
I honestly can't believe you stuck to it and completed the list. Hats off to you sir. Great work!

Old 04-09-2018, 12:31 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Bravo, Eschaton!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh