Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2023, 12:04 PM

32,621 posts, read 77,707,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Why is McCandless making the news so often? I think they better get a police force that is more like Mt. Lebo? I was told there is a bus service up that way and it isn't looking very safe at the stops. I don't know if that is true.

https://www.wtae.com/article/mccandl...ation/44941192
I was just at McCandless Crossing today (closest place to me that sells shell-free bird seed that isn't Wally World) and didn't feel afraid at all. On the other hand in Ross Township I stopped for a long-stale yellow light on McKnight Road and had the person behind me blare their horn at me, swerve around me, and then proceed to go through a solid red light at a high rate of speed. Needless to say I blared my horn back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2023, 12:12 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,923,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I was just at McCandless Crossing today (closest place to me that sells shell-free bird seed that isn't Wally World) and didn't feel afraid at all. On the other hand in Ross Township I stopped for a long-stale yellow light on McKnight Road and had the person behind me blare their horn at me, swerve around me, and then proceed to go through a solid red light at a high rate of speed. Needless to say I blared my horn back.
Moving to the Northside has made McKnight my shopping area.......ugh...take me back to the South Hills please!!! I am not used to the high rate of speed that people drive on McKnight and the rage. South Hills you can't go that fast because the roads are too small, winding, and full of stop lights.

Old 08-31-2023, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Moving to the Northside has made McKnight my shopping area.......ugh...take me back to the South Hills please!!! I am not used to the high rate of speed that people drive on McKnight and the rage. South Hills you can't go that fast because the roads are too small, winding, and full of stop lights.
Yeah. McKnight(mare) Road has become crazy aggressive---even more so since the onset of the pandemic it seems. I am used to doing my shopping in Ross/McCandless now but really wish the North Side had an ALDI and a Target. That commercial land at Western & Fontella at the foot of the West End Bridge would be perfect for a mid-rise with an ALDI on the ground level and residential overhead.

Old 08-31-2023, 12:40 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,923,786 times
Quote:
Yeah. McKnight(mare) Road has become crazy aggressive---even more so since the onset of the pandemic it seems. I am used to doing my shopping in Ross/McCandless now but really wish the North Side had an ALDI and a Target. That commercial land at Western & Fontella at the foot of the West End Bridge would be perfect for a mid-rise with an ALDI on the ground level and residential overhead.

I saw a slide deck once that said a GetGo might go in there, but not sure if that was more of a dream than anything else.

I have also heard rumors about an Aldi near Western, but again nothing concrete. I know someone was trying to organize folks to send letters to Aldi at one point.

I am hoping that Astrobotics and maybe some other space industries really make a push to build out some better employment centers on the North Side since it was recently deemed a Space and Defense Zone or something like that. Would be nice to get a space version of the robotics that is occurring in Lawrenceville to start happening on the North Side.

Old 08-31-2023, 03:22 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,137,067 times
Quote:
Why not run to Mt Nebo Target? Less headache than McKnight, I don't think Mcknight is any worse though. I feel its been about the same busy/crazy the lasts 15 years. I don't mind the area but I usually run to Cranberry for my shopping if its not up Mt Nebo.

Old 08-31-2023, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Why not run to Mt Nebo Target? Less headache than McKnight, I don't think Mcknight is any worse though. I feel its been about the same busy/crazy the lasts 15 years. I don't mind the area but I usually run to Cranberry for my shopping if its not up Mt Nebo.
Mt. Nebo Pointe just feels so much further away, but, you're actually correct. I just checked it out on Google Maps, and it's only like one mile and less than five minutes further for me to go there than to the Target on McKnight Road.

Old 08-31-2023, 09:02 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,137,067 times
Quote:
Mt. Nebo Pointe just feels so much further away, but, you're actually correct. I just checked it out on Google Maps, and it's only like one mile and less than five minutes further for me to go there than to the Target on McKnight Road.
Yeah, wasn't sure exactly from where you are. Its nice though since you pretty much always know how look it will normally take vs McKnight the times can vary so much sometimes. I will say I feel sometimes Mt Nebo Target feels more often out of things but maybe thats everywhere. My kids both worked there at some points of their lives.

Old 09-10-2023, 05:14 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,899,952 times
Quote:
Not shocked. This is Pittsburgh. The drivers are as bad as the NYC-Philly corridor.

Old 09-10-2023, 05:24 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,899,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Waver View Post
I live right in the McKnight corridor on the Ross/McCandless border. I am close to everything. As much as there is now, there is more in the pipeline. Luciano's and Bellisario's are excellent. The Mama Lucia is actually In Pine Township.
The North Hills is the place to be in Pittsburgh 2023. Ross-Westview offers affordable housing plus everything is within a 15-20 min drive.

Old 09-10-2023, 07:07 AM

6,360 posts, read 5,067,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
The North Hills is the place to be in Pittsburgh 2023. Ross-Westview offers affordable housing plus everything is within a 15-20 min drive.
i think its been the 'place to be' for a long, long time now. Ross Township is exceptional on a lot of metrics.

id be wary of some pockets of West View, though - might be no different from some city neighborhoods where you set up in a house and realize your neighbors are slobs or undesirables (drugs, habits, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh