Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 08:10 PM

433 posts, read 287,548 times

Advertisements

I have a business degree from John Carroll University but if money wasn't an issue, I'd much rather work with my hands as I really enjoy that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 10:01 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,132,021 times
Yeah I have a degree in Comp Sci/Behavioral Sci from UCF and worked for years in finance and currently Project Management. I'd much rather work with my hands as well, producing something tangible with wood. Maybe someday but can't afford to make those kind of changes with a family

Old 07-27-2018, 03:45 AM

615 posts, read 394,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post
Agreed for the most part. I would argue that the degree requirement is more prevalent in big companies as opposed to small/mid sized.

Having said that, if a young person were to ask my advice now, I would steer them towards a trade. It's outsource proof for the most part, it wont' cost you a lot of money to acquire the skills, and you have lots of entrepreneurial opportunities if you don't want to work for someone else.
I think this depends on if you are picky where you live. Young people need to take this in account. Nobody researched local economies to see what is available. If you want to make a good living in Pittsburgh it is probably better to go to a trade school than a 4 year college. Or if you want to move to Boston then college makes a lot more sense.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:00 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,197,456 times
But the primary question being, are there jobs with at least a decent wage to be had by all?

When that question is positively responded to, then one can state if a "collagen" degree is really needed. Even though I have one I think it's way overrated.

Like if I was to relocate to the Pittsburgh area would I be able to secure an Accounting Support or Purchasing position easily. If not, what good is a degree vs. no degree?

Old 07-27-2018, 03:04 PM

433 posts, read 287,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Yeah I have a degree in Comp Sci/Behavioral Sci from UCF and worked for years in finance and currently Project Management. I'd much rather work with my hands as well, producing something tangible with wood. Maybe someday but can't afford to make those kind of changes with a family
Growing up and presently, it's almost taboo to not go to college which is a bit disappointing. If I were single I would make a change. That being said, I would like to do both if I could. I can wood work, fix cars, tile, do electric, go high up on a crane, etc. In the professional world I am able to use those skills to some extent by being one of a few where I work that can actually communicate, empathize, understand small businesses and their issues. But unfortunately, I'm usually looking at numbers all day and staring at a screen.

I do think, however, there will be a much greater need moving forward for people that know a craft such as plumbing, electricity, masonry, etc. Perhaps these people will make more more than the average college graduate makes.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:00 PM

Ditto most of my time is answering emails and on calls about projects while trying to manage numbers of it. I do get out into the field and have traveled alot which is nice but yeah I would like something that I actually enjoy but I guess that is most people. I had 10 years of college, it's kinda a joke when I say it. I had kids very early so worked FT and went to school until I figured out I could make good $ in finance without that degree, at least until the tech bubble burst way back and I was laid off. Made me realize I needed that degree to get my foot in the door for anything I had skills for (and could make a liviing). I can also do a little of alot and also a pretty good tiler but I tiled my mom's bath 2 years ago and could barely move for 2 days after so I realized that is a younger man's job. Wood working would be my dream, I enjoy refinishing old quality pieces that have been forgotten.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgss View Post
But the primary question being, are there jobs with at least a decent wage to be had by all?

When that question is positively responded to, then one can state if a "collagen" degree is really needed. Even though I have one I think it's way overrated.

Like if I was to relocate to the Pittsburgh area would I be able to secure an Accounting Support or Purchasing position easily. If not, what good is a degree vs. no degree?

Agree on the overrated, I have a degree in Comp Sci/Behavioral Sci with a minor in Tech Education. Know how much I have used at any point in my career? Almost none, I learned everything on the job and have always been good learning tech. The best thing I learned (which was my most hated classes) was English, specifically tech writing. It's not a major part of my job but it is part. Disclaimer:I don't care how I write online, I swear I am better when it matters.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:27 PM

5 posts, read 5,831 times
Thank you for sharing

Old 08-06-2018, 05:30 PM

179 posts, read 106,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor Face View Post
Growing up and presently, it's almost taboo to not go to college which is a bit disappointing. If I were single I would make a change. That being said, I would like to do both if I could. I can wood work, fix cars, tile, do electric, go high up on a crane, etc. In the professional world I am able to use those skills to some extent by being one of a few where I work that can actually communicate, empathize, understand small businesses and their issues. But unfortunately, I'm usually looking at numbers all day and staring at a screen.

I do think, however, there will be a much greater need moving forward for people that know a craft such as plumbing, electricity, masonry, etc. Perhaps these people will make more more than the average college graduate makes.
With those skills and desire, why don't you start live-in-flipping? Buy a house that needs work you can do, fix it up and live in it for 2+ years, then sell it tax-free and repeat as many times as you want.

Old 08-06-2018, 05:33 PM

179 posts, read 106,938 times
Also, Tyler Cowen had this on his blog a bit ago:

Quote:
In the first half of 2018, the share of job postings requesting a college degree fell to 30% from 32% in 2017, according to an analysis by labor-market research firm Burning Glass Technologies of 15 million ads on websites such as Indeed and Craigslist. Minimum qualifications have been drifting lower since 2012, when companies sought college graduates for 34% of those positions.

Long work-history requirements have also relaxed: Only 23% of entry-level jobs now ask applicants for three or more years of experience, compared with 29% back in 2012, putting an additional 1.2 million jobs in closer reach of more applicants, Burning Glass data show. Through the end of last year, a further one million new jobs were opened up to candidates with “no experience necessary,” making occupations such as e-commerce analyst, purchasing assistant and preschool teacher available to novices and those without a degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh