Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 12:01 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,297,443 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this is on anyone's radar, but I am super stoked about it as I have been complaining about this situation for a decade:

Frontier adds five nonstop flights from San Diego - The San Diego Union-Tribune

I live right next to the SAN airport, but almost always have to drive to LAX to fly to Pittsburgh because of the cheaper, direct flights from there (even with the two hour drive, your travel time ends up being less).

Pittsburgh people-no excuse to not come to San Diego now! 188 bucks round trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 12:19 PM

615 posts, read 394,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Not sure if this is on anyone's radar, but I am super stoked about it as I have been complaining about this situation for a decade:

Frontier adds five nonstop flights from San Diego - The San Diego Union-Tribune

I live right next to the SAN airport, but almost always have to drive to LAX to fly to Pittsburgh because of the cheaper, direct flights from there (even with the two hour drive, your travel time ends up being less).

Pittsburgh people-no excuse to not come to San Diego now! 188 bucks round trip.
This is good news!

Old 08-05-2018, 03:05 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,791 times
Frontier. Ugh. I’d prefer to stick with one of the majors and have a layover. It will be interesting to see how this does.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Frontier. Ugh. I’d prefer to stick with one of the majors and have a layover. It will be interesting to see how this does.
I knew this would be met with negativity. I've used Spirit to fly LAX-PIT and it was totally worth it to deal with their "baggage." Even with the carry on charge it was still like $100 cheaper, and it was a quick flight in the middle of the day. Flying SAN-PIT on a major usually means $350 to leave at midnight, ridiculous connection in a place like PHL or BOS, and then arrive in Pittsburgh five hours before you can check into your AirBnb/Hotel.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:54 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I knew this would be met with negativity. I've used Spirit to fly LAX-PIT and it was totally worth it to deal with their "baggage." Even with the carry on charge it was still like $100 cheaper, and it was a quick flight in the middle of the day. Flying SAN-PIT on a major usually means $350 to leave at midnight, ridiculous connection in a place like PHL or BOS, and then arrive in Pittsburgh five hours before you can check into your AirBnb/Hotel.
It’s not the fees that get me, it’s the lack of options that I would have to get to my destination if something were to happen to the flight. Many of the discount carriers do not have agreements with other airlines to re-route you when issues arise. This effectively means less reliable travel. Generally, I don’t have the time to wait a day or more for the next available flight in this situation. Allegient is notorious for this

Old 08-05-2018, 04:53 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
It’s not the fees that get me, it’s the lack of options that I would have to get to my destination if something were to happen to the flight. Many of the discount carriers do not have agreements with other airlines to re-route you when issues arise. This effectively means less reliable travel. Generally, I don’t have the time to wait a day or more for the next available flight in this situation. Allegient is notorious for this
I haven’t flown frontier, but I’ve flown spirit and allegiant without issue. When I flew Spirit to Las Vegas even with paying for baggage and the “big front seat“, it was still $200 cheaper than flying Southwest, which is the only other nonstop to Vegas.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
This makes way more sense than the British airlines flight to London. I’d rather see them
push for flights to the west coast.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:26 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
This makes way more sense than the British airlines flight to London. I’d rather see them
push for flights to the west coast.
It really doesn’t. It’s nice but we already had direct flights to San Francisco and Los Angeles. San Diego is not a major business hub or transfer point. The London flight is far more beneficial to Pittsburgh. People drive from the Ohio cities to fly to London. They won’t do that for San Diego.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
It really doesn’t. It’s nice but we already had direct flights to San Francisco and Los Angeles. San Diego is not a major business hub or transfer point. The London flight is far more beneficial to Pittsburgh. People drive from the Ohio cities to fly to London. They won’t do that for San Diego.
Show me where it says San Diego is not a major business hub. You do realize a lot of folks say the same thing of Pittsburgh outside of city data land.

There isn’t enough traffic to support the London flight. As you tried to educate me in another thread about supply and demand. If there is so much demand why is the government subsiding the supply? Answer: There is very little if any demand. Otherwise they would add the London flight on their own and it would grow organically without government subsidies.

San Diego makes way more sense to connect Pittsburgh business and entrepreneurs to the west coast.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
San Diego is only "not a major business hub" when compared to the greater Los Angeles metro, which has an economy on the scale of Mexico or Iran. People from Ohio cities also drive 10 hours to mediocre Carolinas beaches...they wouldn't want to check out San Diego? Couldn't PIT be way more competitive by stacking up on west coast flights, taking advantage of being relatively closer than the coast cities? Flying to London is multiple days of travel...the direct flights to SAN, SFO, LAX are four hours and change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh