Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 06:16 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,187,554 times

Advertisements

White Oak's "business district" is decent enough in functionality, kind of like Kennedy Twp. It seems like a pleasant enough borough for those who like to stick to their side of town as trying to get anywhere outside of the southeastern suburbs. School district really limits the success there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 06:38 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
The only classic "white flight" here happened in Belzhoover and Wilkinsburg when the Hill District was destroyed by urban planners.
No, not quite correct. The white flight spurred by the destruction of the Hill District affected not only Beltzhoover, but parts of the North Side (Manchester, California-Kirkbride, Perry Hilltop, etc), and East End (Homewood, Larimer, East Liberty, Garfield, etc). Wilkinsburg was actually step two in white flight. The first neighborhoods there began to shift demographically about a decade after the hill district, but it was still mostly white south of Penn Avenue through to the mid 1980s.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:21 AM

4 posts, read 4,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlurmsMcKenzie View Post
White Oak's "business district" is decent enough in functionality, kind of like Kennedy Twp. It seems like a pleasant enough borough for those who like to stick to their side of town as trying to get anywhere outside of the southeastern suburbs. School district really limits the success there.
Yeah it does seem to be the decent safe place to live if you want to stay in the Mckeesport area but not be right in the city. Similar to how Kennedy is to Mckees Rocks, Hopewell to Aliquippa, or Lower Burrell to New Kensington, etc.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:25 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
No, not quite correct. The white flight spurred by the destruction of the Hill District affected not only Beltzhoover, but parts of the North Side (Manchester, California-Kirkbride, Perry Hilltop, etc), and East End (Homewood, Larimer, East Liberty, Garfield, etc). Wilkinsburg was actually step two in white flight. The first neighborhoods there began to shift demographically about a decade after the hill district, but it was still mostly white south of Penn Avenue through to the mid 1980s.
Those same planners displaced the North Side population when they demolished a large portion of it to create the awful "North Shore". I'm no sure when that name was applied to it, but it wasn't named that when I was a kid.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:15 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
Those same planners displaced the North Side population when they demolished a large portion of it to create the awful "North Shore". I'm no sure when that name was applied to it, but it wasn't named that when I was a kid.
Wait, the North Shore used to be residential? I’d always assumed that area had been industrial or undeveloped.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:08 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Wait, the North Shore used to be residential? I’d always assumed that area had been industrial or undeveloped.
"Over 500 buildings and 850 families were removed and all but about ten structures within 30 blocks in the area. Preservationists scored successes in retaining the former city’s Carnegie Library, Buhl Planetarium, and Post Office, but nearly all else was leveled, including a historic market house."

https://www.citylab.com/design/2017/...sburgh/538806/

I don't remember the old North Side, but my sisters do. They recall the market house as a busy place with many local farmers selling their produce and prepared foods.

There are photos online. The area was a mix of residential and commercial.

The same thing happened earlier to downtown to make way for Gateway Center.

Last edited by Goinback2011; 11-27-2018 at 05:30 PM..

Old 11-27-2018, 07:06 PM

969 posts, read 772,376 times
Quote:
"Over 500 buildings and 850 families were removed and all but about ten structures within 30 blocks in the area. Preservationists scored successes in retaining the former city’s Carnegie Library, Buhl Planetarium, and Post Office, but nearly all else was leveled, including a historic market house."

https://www.citylab.com/design/2017/...sburgh/538806/

I don't remember the old North Side, but my sisters do. They recall the market house as a busy place with many local farmers selling their produce and prepared foods.

There are photos online. The area was a mix of residential and commercial.

The same thing happened earlier to downtown to make way for Gateway Center.
None of that is the North Shore, that's Allegheny Center the old Allegheny City downtown.

Old 11-28-2018, 07:29 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
None of that is the North Shore, that's Allegheny Center the old Allegheny City downtown.
The North Shore was also a neighborhood. It was colloquially called "the Ward" because it was the old 1st Ward of Allegheny City.

See this link for what it looked like in 1923. Most of it seems to have survived until after World War 2.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:04 PM

61 posts, read 23,022 times
Smile Love White Oak!

I bought a house in White Oak just over five years ago and could not be happier with my decision. The house was such a great deal on a very quiet street with great neighbors and very close to the Penn State Campus

We have both White Oak and Renzie Park, with the gorgeous rose garden, nearby. Both are great places to go for a relaxing walk. Love using the local pool and the cost of the summer pass is very reasonable. Cute Library is located close to the pool.

If you ever find yourself in the White Oak, I’d suggest checking out the following restaurants: Rodos (cash only) for gyros, Twin Oaks Lounge for hot corned beef sandwhich, The Rose for Wednesday jumbo wing night, Luciano’s for the best wedding soup and white chicken pizza. Patti’s Pasticciera is a wonderful Italian Slovak Bakery—burnt almond torte puts others to shame 😋, Dorothy’s Candies for wonderful chocolates even sugar free—they even supplied the chocolates in the Oscar winners’ gift baskets a few years back.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:20 AM

61 posts, read 23,022 times
Smile White oak places worth visiting!

White Oak Park
Parks | White Oak | Allegheny County

Renzie Park Rose Garden (watch the video)
Renzie-Park-Rose-Garden

White Oak Pool
Parks and Recreation Heritage Park Heritage Hill Pool White Oak Park in Allegheny County PA

Dorothy’s Candies
Gourmet, Fine, Handcrafted Swiss Chocolates | Pittsburgh, PA

Patti’s Pasticciera
https://www.pattiswhiteoakbakery.com/

Rodos Greek Cafe
https://m.facebook.com/rodosgreekcafe/

Twin Oaks Lounge
Twin Oaks Restaurant & Lounge - Home Page

The Rose
Happy Hours At The Rose - The Rose Bar & Grille

Luciano’s
Dine In / Take Out | Luciano's Restaurant

Nearby restaurants worth mentioning:

Woody’s Italian Restaurant
(Get the Wheel of Provolone appetizer!)
Woodys Italian Restaurant

Tillies Restaurant (Italian)
(Great lasagna and red sauce!)
The Internet Home of Tillie's Restaurant, McKeesport, PA, near Pittsburgh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh