Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 02:16 PM

3 posts, read 5,770 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I urgently (like in a week) need to move from Shadyside to area near North Braddock Avenue. I have been reading the forums for safety issues in Wilkinsburg and Swissvale and am overwhelmed by all the information around. Like one block is okay and one is not.

For some background, my office is moving on North Braddock, and although it is easily accessible from the place I am currently living at, my roommate situation is not so good and I would really like to rent a studio/ 1BR apartment. I have been looking at apartments in and around the above mentioned areas and regent square is really out of my budget. I would like to keep everything under 600$, max 650$/mo. (If I don't get a sublet in my current apartment I'll eventually be paying rent for two places, hence such a tight budget.)

My commuting method would be walking/ bus. So, if I am taking the bus, the 650$ should include 100$ for transportation per month. My problems are:
1. I am finding apartments in Wilkinsburg south to Penn Ave (Wood and South) but they come pretty close to the gang regions as posted on maps in different posts here on the forum. How safe/ walkable areas are those?

2. There is no data whatsoever about area around Columbia Ave in Swissvale. If anyone has any idea about it, kindly let me know.

3. Will the area near Delaware Ave and Hawthorne Ave (not St.) be cutting too close to the shady areas in Swissvale?

Please help this female who's looking to save some money but move alone in an apartment. Thanks in advance.

For reference, these are the postings I am looking at:
https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/ap...735896629.html

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/D...?fullpage=true

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...?fullpage=true

https://www.apartments.com/columbia-...reviewsSection
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 07:43 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,705 times
[quote=EastAsianLover;53742327]Hello everyone,

I urgently (like in a week) need to move from Shadyside to area near North Braddock Avenue. I have been reading the forums for safety issues in Wilkinsburg and Swissvale and am overwhelmed by all the information around. Like one block is okay and one is not.
Yeah, but lots of "good" areas of Pittsburgh are like that.

For some background, my office is moving on North Braddock, and although it is easily accessible from the place I am currently living at, my roommate situation is not so good and I would really like to rent a studio/ 1BR apartment. I have been looking at apartments in and around the above mentioned areas and regent square is really out of my budget. I would like to keep everything under 600$, max 650$/mo. (If I don't get a sublet in my current apartment I'll eventually be paying rent for two places, hence such a tight budget.)

My commuting method would be walking/ bus. So, if I am taking the bus, the 650$ should include 100$ for transportation per month. My problems are:
1. I am finding apartments in Wilkinsburg south to Penn Ave (Wood and South) but they come pretty close to the gang regions as posted on maps in different posts here on the forum. How safe/ walkable areas are those?
It was straight up sketchy when I lived off Pennwood in the 90's, I can't comment on it now. I'd take a drive through there at different times of the day and do your research.

2. There is no data whatsoever about area around Columbia Ave in Swissvale. If anyone has any idea about it, kindly let me know.
Columbia Avenue is safe, lived on Hampton for a few years and walked around with the dogs at all hours.

3. Will the area near Delaware Ave and Hawthorne Ave (not St.) be cutting too close to the shady areas in Swissvale?
No.

Please help this female who's looking to save some money but move alone in an apartment. Thanks in advance.

I'd personally stick to the streets on the hill (Columbia, Westmoreland, Delaware, Columbia streets area etc) in Swissvale regarding an apartment. Good luck!

Old 11-28-2018, 07:55 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastAsianLover View Post
The best part of Wilkinsburg south of Penn and east of the Busway is Hamnett Place. Looks like there's one listing around there now.

Quote:
Not the best part of Swissvale, nor the worst. Avoid that apartment complex up on the hill though - there as a murder there relatively recently. Also maybe avoid living on the blocks directly facing the Busway. Otherwise that area is fine.

Quote:
I think that's an okay area - it doesn't get very bad until you're south of S. Braddock.

Edit: I'd also consider this. Maybe this too.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:14 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,388,978 times
Only tangentially related to this topic, but I have two quick questions:

1. Which Pittsburgh neighborhoods are generally the best and safest?
2. Are there any good and safe areas of Pittsburgh where one might be able to buy a very small condo (ie, a studio) for less than $200k? What areas would those be, and what downsides do they have?

Thanks a lot for any info related to my questions.

PS. Dear Pittsburgh moderator - if you see a more suitable thread for my questions, please move them there. Thank you.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
1. Which Pittsburgh neighborhoods are generally the best and safest?
Best is subjective. And the absolute safest neighborhoods would be totally residential ones with little in the way of urban amenities, since even in trendy areas like Lawrenceville or Downtown you'll have some random property crime.

Squirrel Hill probably offers the best balance of lots of amenities and very low crime though.

Quote:
2. Are there any good and safe areas of Pittsburgh where one might be able to buy a very small condo (ie, a studio) for less than $200k? What areas would those be, and what downsides do they have?
You could buy a small condo unit basically anywhere there are condos in Pittsburgh (Downtown, North Oakland, Shadyside, Squirrel Hill). for under $200,000. Obviously it could be a dated unit in an ugly building however.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:33 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,388,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Best is subjective. And the absolute safest neighborhoods would be totally residential ones with little in the way of urban amenities, since even in trendy areas like Lawrenceville or Downtown you'll have some random property crime.

Squirrel Hill probably offers the best balance of lots of amenities and very low crime though.

You could buy a small condo unit basically anywhere there are condos in Pittsburgh (Downtown, North Oakland, Shadyside, Squirrel Hill). for under $200,000. Obviously it could be a dated unit in an ugly building however.

Thank you kindly for the info. I don't mind dated (I am dated meself; my questions relate to retirement lifestyle :-), and an ugly bldg is perfectly fine as long as it is safe.

Here is the matter. I am a traveler, a world traveler. I already have tiny, very tiny condos in 3 expensive cities on both coasts. Two of the condos (San Francisco and NYC) are in the areas where I would not dare to leave the condo locked with my belongings inside while I am away. The third condo (Boston) is safe, but the underlying value of that condo is relatively high (about $375k), plus I don't really like Boston that much (but have to keep my primary home there for 6 more years). I kind of liked Pittsburghwhen I visited it a few times over the years, and moving my home base to Pittsburgh would free up about $175k extra cash tied up in my Boston condo, plus I think the cost of living would be a little less in PA. Plus, there is a senior care arrangement available only in PA that interests me. Anyway, the Pittsburgh condo would serve mostly as the reliable storage for my old memorabilia (not worth much, but I'd be heartbroken if somebody broke in and rifled through it - particularly because the stuff means everything to me, and is worthless to anyone else) while I am off traveling. Thanks a lot again for the valuable info.

Old 11-28-2018, 12:57 PM

3 posts, read 5,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
Columbia Avenue is safe, lived on Hampton for a few years and walked around with the dogs at all hours.
Thank you so much, your reply takes a lot of tension off my head. I really appreciate the information.

Quote:
Not the best part of Swissvale, nor the worst. Avoid that apartment complex up on the hill though - there as a murder there relatively recently. Also maybe avoid living on the blocks directly facing the Busway. Otherwise that area is fine.
Alright. I'll start contacting people then. Thank you so much for the information and the links. I'll check them out!

Despite its shortcomings, living in Pitts has been a pleasure so far (been here for 2.5 years now). I hope it remains so. Will update when I get a new apartment. Thank you again everyone for your inputs.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Thank you kindly for the info. I don't mind dated (I am dated meself; my questions relate to retirement lifestyle :-), and an ugly bldg is perfectly fine as long as it is safe.

Here is the matter. I am a traveler, a world traveler. I already have tiny, very tiny condos in 3 expensive cities on both coasts. Two of the condos (San Francisco and NYC) are in the areas where I would not dare to leave the condo locked with my belongings inside while I am away. The third condo (Boston) is safe, but the underlying value of that condo is relatively high (about $375k), plus I don't really like Boston that much (but have to keep my primary home there for 6 more years). I kind of liked Pittsburghwhen I visited it a few times over the years, and moving my home base to Pittsburgh would free up about $175k extra cash tied up in my Boston condo, plus I think the cost of living would be a little less in PA. Plus, there is a senior care arrangement available only in PA that interests me. Anyway, the Pittsburgh condo would serve mostly as the reliable storage for my old memorabilia (not worth much, but I'd be heartbroken if somebody broke in and rifled through it - particularly because the stuff means everything to me, and is worthless to anyone else) while I am off traveling. Thanks a lot again for the valuable info.
PA is a good state to make your permanent residence, because the state doesn't tax any retirement income whatsoever, whether it's Social Security, defined-benefit pensions, or 401(k) withdrawals. Plus you get a discount on your property taxes.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:26 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,134 times
Quote:
PA is a good state to make your permanent residence, because the state doesn't tax any retirement income whatsoever, whether it's Social Security, defined-benefit pensions, or 401(k) withdrawals. Plus you get a discount on your property taxes.
There is an income limit to the no tax plus PA doesn't offer a Homestead Exemption tax.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:28 PM

969 posts, read 772,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
There is an income limit to the no tax plus PA doesn't offer a Homestead Exemption tax.
My house has a homestead exemption, what do you mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh