Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 01:02 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times

Advertisements

One of poster/ex-Pittsburgher okaydorothy's sons was in ROTC. I think they went to South Fayette HS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 01:56 PM

11 posts, read 15,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
One of poster/ex-Pittsburgher okaydorothy's sons was in ROTC. I think they went to South Fayette HS.
Thank you. Norwin does have JROTC as well. Where we live currently JROTC is not an option in public school. Our plan is (if my husband accepts the position) to schedule tours of schools that meet the commute criteria as well as, their accompanying cities. We will choose where it feels most like home. It happens to be big move for all of us. Both my husband and I were born and raised where we live. Both of our extended families still live here as well. So, it is very important for us to have the right fit for our family.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:44 PM

5,300 posts, read 6,179,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnamarsh View Post
They attend an all-boy school, which I think is a good fit for them.

If that's the case, then the Kiskiminetas Springs School (Kiski) is worth considering. It is the only high ranking all male private school (other than military schools) in the USA. Covington Catholic High School, which is in the news, is an all boys high school but it is not ranked and is not listed in the Porter Sargent Handbook of Private Schools.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:53 PM

100 posts, read 69,698 times
Brentwood real close

Old 01-24-2019, 12:21 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnamarsh View Post
Thank you. Norwin does have JROTC as well. Where we live currently JROTC is not an option in public school. Our plan is (if my husband accepts the position) to schedule tours of schools that meet the commute criteria as well as, their accompanying cities. We will choose where it feels most like home. It happens to be big move for all of us. Both my husband and I were born and raised where we live. Both of our extended families still live here as well. So, it is very important for us to have the right fit for our family.

Good luck with the decision.

Maybe if you describe your current town/suburb it would help us. A few years ago I visited a friend in the Philly burbs. He lived in a nice suburb but to me to me it was very rural and affluent. Lots of nice houses on nice big (4-6 acres) parcels of land. Didn't resemble the area that I live cause I live in a subdivision and around me are other subdivisions. To replicate it you might have to move to Sewickley Heights or Ligonier.

Old 01-25-2019, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
If that's the case, then the Kiskiminetas Springs School (Kiski) is worth considering. It is the only high ranking all male private school (other than military schools) in the USA. Covington Catholic High School, which is in the news, is an all boys high school but it is not ranked and is not listed in the Porter Sargent Handbook of Private Schools.
They actually do go to a military school. It is ranked #6 in America. It is very small and the sense of community is amazing. They attend a Da Lasalle school. Theology is a part of their day, but they have respresentation from all religions and those who do not attend church. They are a part of very welcoming and accepting community, the focus of the school is service and academics. As you can tell this is going to be a difficult transition.

Old 01-25-2019, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Good luck with the decision.

Maybe if you describe your current town/suburb it would help us. A few years ago I visited a friend in the Philly burbs. He lived in a nice suburb but to me to me it was very rural and affluent. Lots of nice houses on nice big (4-6 acres) parcels of land. Didn't resemble the area that I live cause I live in a subdivision and around me are other subdivisions. To replicate it you might have to move to Sewickley Heights or Ligonier.
Our area ranges from lots with a couple of acres to subdivisions. We actually live in a small city, with only one subdivision. Our SD is a walking district - we have neighborhood elementary schools; the MS and HS have to be less than a mile from the further home in the district. We live in the foothills of the Adirondacks; traveling an hour circumfrence really is not unusal for us. We are really open to anything our main focus is the school and commute. Currently we our boys have a two hour total commute to and from school. So, we'd rather live closer to school and a longer commute for us.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:38 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,977 times
If I were you I would first make a decision about private or public schools. Unfortunately, I don't think you will be able to replicate your sons' school in our area. Years ago I went from a small private school to a large public school. It was a big change.

The independent private schools I listed above are expensive. A guess would be about 30,000 a year. Catholic High Schools are probably half the cost. Not all will be all boys. Some will be larger schools than others. Here is a Catholic high school close to West Mifflin. https://www.serrahs.org/ The boys Catholic high school in Pittsburgh is Central Catholic. It is a large school. https://www.centralcatholichs.com/ If you are looking for a small school I would look at Aquinas Academy. https://www.aquinasacademy-pittsburgh.org/ I have friends that send their kids there. It is demanding. I think this would be a great fit for one of my sons but I fear it is too small. For you this might be an advantage.

If your husband is willing to commute an hour to work each way, you have tons of options of where to live. Do you still want a walkable neighborhood? That really limits your options.

Old 01-25-2019, 02:53 PM

130 posts, read 122,545 times
It sounds to me that JROTC is a high priority for your kids. If that is the case, these are the districts (reasonably close to West Mifflin) that I have found online that have JROTC programs. There may be additional districts where students have the option to join the JROTC program in adjacent districts, but I don't have the information for that.

Army:
Seneca Valley HS (Seneca Valley SD)
Valley HS (New-Kensington-Arnold SD)
Trinity HS (Trinity SD)
Beaver HS (Beaver SD)
Connellsville HS (Connellsville SD)

Navy:
Penn Hills HS (Penn Hills SD)

Marine:
West Allegheny HS (West Allegheny SD)
Ambridge HS (Ambridge Area SD)

Air Force:
North Allegheny Intermediate HS (North Allegheny SD)
Pine Richland HS (Pine Richland SD)
Plum HS (Plum SD)
West Mifflin HS (West Mifflin Area SD)
McKeesport HS (McKeesport SD)
Norwin HS (Norwin SD)

The problem with most of these school districts is most of them are far away from West Mifflin, and the ones that are close are not close to the academic rigor of the private school that they are used to. The best districts, in my opinion, would be North Allegheny, Pine Richland, West Allegheny, Norwin, Seneca Valley. With that said, the commutes from any of those places would be awful with maybe the exception of West Allegheny and Norwin being slightly more tolerable. I'm no expert in this, so maybe I am wrong--I thought there would be more JROTC options than this in the area.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 756 times
While there are many great suburb areas out there for families looking to live in the area. I just want to say don't be afraid to consider the city itself. Pittsburgh is a pretty safe city that can offer something for every member of your family! Check out this guide for some great information on family-friendly neighborhoods within the city:

https://www.mr-maid.com/blog/best-pi...-raise-family/

Good luck! You're going to enjoy being in the area no matter where you decide to live!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh