Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 07:43 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doowlle34 View Post
This is the latest high-priced home in Dormont that is causing some disagreement in the community:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...11571209_zpid/

Some residents have expressed shock at the rise in prices in recent years, while others (including folks in real estate) have suggested that the work here is well-done and that the price is not unreasonable based on comparative sales.

For my money, I quite like this listing, that just hit the market today -- with the only drawback for me being the fact that it only has one bath:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...11655684_zpid/
That Wainbell house is the one I grew up in. My parents, 3 kids and my grandmother lived there at that time. My mother and her parents lived there when she was a teenager.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 07:47 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,312,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
That Wainbell house is the one I grew up in. My parents, 3 kids and my grandmother lived there at that time. My mother and her parents lived there when she was a teenager.
Interesting. Many who have lived here for 30 years are shocked when a home like this goes on the market for nearly $300K but it sold right away and had multiple offers. That said, my family from the east cost would be shocked that this home was under $750K.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-65711?view=qv

Old 05-17-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
Interesting. Many who have lived here for 30 years are shocked when a home like this goes on the market for nearly $300K but it sold right away and had multiple offers. That said, my family from the east cost would be shocked that this home was under $750K.

Some idiot painted a lot of the woodwork white at the Wainbell house.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:53 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,312,573 times
Quote:
Well, yeah, that's common nowadays but I would never do it.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:10 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,131,490 times
Yeah and what a hassle to remove the painted trim. Our house is all original until you get the 3rd story attic that is a 4th bedroom with a full bath. I once had the plan to remove it all and refinish, got about 2/3 stripped but have yet to finish it. Too many other things plus once my son took the 3rd story I didnt care as much how it looked.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:17 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
Quote:
I said the same thing when I bought my house, but the kitchen trim was always painted and the upstairs was three shades of wood, sometimes in each room. I ended up painting the upstairs trim white. The staircase, the built ins, and all (except kitchen) is original on the first floor. I love original trim, but sometimes it really helps make a dark house feel lighter, because no matter what due to window placement, trees, and location my house just doesnt get a ton of sunlight.

That being said, I love that Wainbell house and it seems a little underpriced if you ask me however Dormont does seem to top out at a certain price point. The house just has good aesthetics and a really nice overall feel to it.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I said the same thing when I bought my house, but the kitchen trim was always painted and the upstairs was three shades of wood, sometimes in each room. I ended up painting the upstairs trim white. The staircase, the built ins, and all (except kitchen) is original on the first floor. I love original trim, but sometimes it really helps make a dark house feel lighter, because no matter what due to window placement, trees, and location my house just doesnt get a ton of sunlight.

That being said, I love that Wainbell house and it seems a little underpriced if you ask me however Dormont does seem to top out at a certain price point. The house just has good aesthetics and a really nice overall feel to it.
I still tell people Dormont was Oz when I was a kid. Most Pittburghers think I'm joking. Part of that Ozzieness was the house.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:21 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,414,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I was just searching around and noticed homes are under agreement that I never dreamt they would ever sell for those prices. I am speechless. I have been following the market for over 30 years and never remember a time like this.

Anyone else have a look around? I don't consider Pittsburgh overly affordable. Certainly not in FC or the East End.
What does "FC" stand for? Fayette County? It doesn't seem like you would be thinking of comparing Fayette County to the East End of Allegheny County.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:39 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
What does "FC" stand for? Fayette County? It doesn't seem like you would be thinking of comparing Fayette County to the East End of Allegheny County.
Fox Chapel

Old 05-18-2019, 06:52 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,773,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post

Looks like a nice house and yard , just needs a kitchen remodel. Too bad the windows are so small though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh