Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 08:35 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,695,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I mean, I have my concerns with this project from what I have heard. The unit count seems supiciously small for the development at large. The tower is supposed to have only 121 units, despite being 12 stories, which sounds way off (10 per floor?). The size of that megablock - based upon the unit densities in other major Pittsburgh projects - could easily fit 450-550 units, even without building a highrise.

That said, it's better than the North Shore I suppose, where we're still waiting for apartments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
That's constructive criticism, and I share the concern for that low unit count. That type of discussion is valuable.

Is the 12 floor building exceptionally narrow or something? They keep showing renderings, but I haven't seen a recent plan of lots to give the big picture.
I also share this concern. We should be developing this site to be as dense as possible to house as many people as possible to pay homage to the dense residential neighborhood that was destroyed to make room for the Civic Arena. The more people who live on the site, too, the more likely the businesses that are developed will be to stay afloat, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 08:43 AM

14,354 posts, read 17,066,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I also share this concern. We should be developing this site to be as dense as possible to house as many people as possible to pay homage to the dense residential neighborhood that was destroyed to make room for the Civic Arena. The more people who live on the site, too, the more likely the businesses that are developed will be to stay afloat, too.
Measured by units per square feet, this is literally 1/4th as dense as the Morrow Park City Apartments in Bloomfield. Despite having a 12-story tower.

I mean yeah, there's huge setbacks and big public plazas for what appears to be no particularly good reason. But the unit counts just don't seem to add up to me, unless we're talking about a mixture of very large high-end units and the subsidized portion having a lot of 2-3 bedrooms or something.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:42 AM

615 posts, read 395,172 times
Quote:
Yep. Very soon the haters are going to have to switch gears from "this project ain't gonna happen" to something else more along the lines of "the construction is ugly" or whatever it is about parking they can muster.
It’s not hating. It just takes a lifetime to get things done in the city. Is the garden theatre area finally done on the north side? What about hazelwood? What about parkway center mall? If the hill district is built out in the next 13 years that is a huge victory. It’s sat vacant for the last 7.5 years. Projects usually sit for 20 years in Pittsburgh before something finally happens.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:05 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,402,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
It’s not hating. It just takes a lifetime to get things done in the city. Is the garden theatre area finally done on the north side? What about hazelwood? What about parkway center mall? If the hill district is built out in the next 13 years that is a huge victory. It’s sat vacant for the last 7.5 years. Projects usually sit for 20 years in Pittsburgh before something finally happens.
Not true, the new airport is moving along rather quickly.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:08 AM

969 posts, read 774,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
They can't even cherry pick the right examples. Reason I don't engage.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:12 AM

14,354 posts, read 17,066,281 times
Quote:
Oxford's Three Crossings in the Strip is another example. The first office building was constructed in 2014, and the entire 16-acre site (4 office buildings, a 300-unit apartment building, and a parking garage) was finished four years later. Now they're working on the second stage, already constructing the first new office building (The Stacks) there, which should also be completed within the next five years.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
They can't even cherry pick the right examples. Reason I don't engage.
Sorry, i was just trolling. The previous poster went on a multipost rant about the new airport

Old 07-18-2019, 11:19 AM

Look at how long the technology park took at the old j&l steel mill. My dad owned a trucking company and i went with him to haul steel into the first building as a kid. He died in 1990. They just started developing the final parcel this year.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:24 AM

615 posts, read 395,172 times
Quote:
The airport project is a waste and not needed. It’s an excuse to spend money and put the attention on that rather than tackling issues that really need done. Look here but not over there thing. The public, businesses and airlines gain nothing but higher fees and operational costs. I’m sure there will be great cost overruns with the project. Then the airlines will complain about landing fees and then the airport authority will use public money to subsidize the airlines like have been doing for the better part of 10 years. But no public money is going to the airport right? The airport authority is a public entity and its board is appointed by elected officials.

2 billion dollars to correct a one billion dollar mistake as in building it in the first place.

Whenever it’s the airport or stadiums it surprising how quickly things get done. Everything else has to sit and linger for years.

Old 07-18-2019, 12:15 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,923,116 times
Glasshouse Apartments in Station Square broke ground in December 2017 and are almost complete. That doesn't sound like much lingering for that large of a ground up construction project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh