Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 11:14 PM

150 posts, read 263,945 times

Advertisements

Hey All!

Does anyone know of any places north or north/west of the city (where you can still commute to the city each day) and the setup is country like - a few acres, no hoa, private, spread out from neighbors, etc. or actual country (doesnt seem to exist) farmland, etc. I would like something by Mccandless area (or more northwest) and closer to the city to commute.

It doesnt really seem like anything exists unless you get 40 mins or so away from the city. I think the only option is to find something with a bigger lot and private with woods.

Currently what I found is the below:

Franklin Park - they seem to have some non hoa homes with bigger lots, but they tend to be within full neighborhoods
Bell Acres - they have some really nice private settings, but the homes we could not afford
Mccandless - they seem to have more affordable homes in the range for us, but I havent seen anything with a few acres

I was hoping someone might be aware of any potential areas. We are hoping to move within the next year or two and I’m trying to get an idea on areas :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2020, 05:43 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,132,504 times
As for HOA, I don't think that should be a major issue. Outside some townhouse setups and new developments they are not as common. There could be a few that might interest you if commutable is 40 min and depending on price range limits. Ohio Township which has some spots like that and around Sewickley like Sewickley Hills and Heights though that is a pretty big area you are likely right around 40 min at rush hour or more for some sections.

Old 01-08-2020, 06:46 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,218,646 times
Acreage will be very expensive unless you’re willing to go into Beaver, Butler, Lawrence, or Washington County.

Old 01-08-2020, 07:12 AM

Oh yes, any of those areas are more expense just for normal lots so getting a few acres is not cheap. That said there might be sections where your lot might not be large but are adjacent to unbuildable land so you feel more secluded. Unless the budget is pretty high it might take some time for a home to come on the market in many of those areas.

Old 01-08-2020, 08:04 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,533,270 times
Look in West Deer. There are lot of rural parts and it is not as expensive as Franklin Park or McCandless. You may be able to find a house with a few acres surrounded by a homes with more acreage.

Old 01-08-2020, 08:14 AM

Yeah, you mentioned west but if you would consider east even parts of Allison Park and Hampton. They are also pricey though and likely pushing 40 min, West Deer might be a little less but you are also even further out.

Old 01-08-2020, 09:57 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,218,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Look in West Deer. There are lot of rural parts and it is not as expensive as Franklin Park or McCandless. You may be able to find a house with a few acres surrounded by a homes with more acreage.
Excellent suggestion.

Old 01-08-2020, 10:06 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
I would agree with the Deer Lakes School District (areas to the north and east of the Fox Chapel Area School District). Sure, Route 28 still has its bottlenecks, but they generally aren't too bad unless there's an accident. We are able to get from our home in the heart of the city up to Pittsburgh Mills in 20-25 minutes with no traffic. With traffic it takes us closer to 40 minutes. The areas within 5 minutes of Pittsburgh Mills are within the Deer Lakes School District and feature a lot of windy rural roads with homes that have some acreage that are much more affordably-priced than what you'd find in the North Hills.

Old 01-08-2020, 10:20 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,533,270 times
I would also look in and around Kittanning. 28 is one of the easiest ways into the city. The other would be 79/279 but Kittanning and Armstrong County frankly aren't as expensive as the areas along 279/79.

Old 01-08-2020, 03:31 PM

150 posts, read 263,945 times
I appreciate the feedback. I looked up West Deer and they do have homes in terms of what im looking for. It would be nice if it was more to the NW of the city vs NE, but that is an option :-)

In terms of the response above of non hoa. It seems a lot of homes in wexford, cranberry, etc. are within communities that have hoa, rules, etc. That is was meant by non hoa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh