Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 05:19 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,132,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I just looked at the listing, nice house! Looks like they did a lot of work to it, definitely move in condition. I'm sure you're aware that the School District will challenge the 21K current assessment. Hope you figured that into your monthly budget. Chances are it will be reassessed to 47K or so. Damn taxes!
Maybe but the current assessment does not have a homestead which I think it was mentioned being a rental. They can apply for the homestead to bring that back down and the taxes are pretty low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2020, 07:28 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Heh. In an odd stroke of luck we just received a phone call from our realtor. The house on Cake Way is ours!
YOU STOLE MY HOUSE! Congratulations!

I just checked it out. Cute inside, but boy. Definitely not my color palette. And I like bright and bold colors.

Old 02-05-2020, 08:48 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,038,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Lincoln Place is modestly priced. There are buses but it is frankly pretty far removed from downtown.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...11352256_zpid/
Lincoln Place is pleasant, but it is not urban at all. I think he would get bored there.

Old 02-05-2020, 08:52 PM

Quote:

We're also still waiting on the Cake Way house. Never thought you could make an offer on a Saturday and still not have any idea what's going on by Wednesday. I guess sellers can take as long as they'd like to make a decision on offers. We're not "mad" by any means. When you have anxiety issues, though, it doesn't help. I wish she would just reject our offer so we could feel "free" to look at other homes.
When I bought my Kittanning house, it took them a full month to respond to my offer. You can put something in your offer that it becomes void after a certain date.

Old 02-05-2020, 09:20 PM

Congrats on the house! It has a lot of potential, especially in restoring the facade to a historic appearance, if you wish.

Old 02-06-2020, 04:54 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,368,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
you really need to understand that your dollar today is worth more than a dollar 8 years from now. If you paid 60k, and put 20k into it, 8 years from now just standard home inflation takes the price to around 100k(using 3% yearly housing inflation). You are not being greedy expecting an asset to appreciate at the same rate as other similar assets.

I've read some of the posts on this thread. You offer great advice!
Quote:
Thanks so much!

I suppose you're right. I'm just realizing how hard it's been to afford to buy OUR first home, and I wouldn't want to resell at a price in 8 years that would make it even harder for someone else in our same circumstances in the future to have difficulty affording their own first home. There's no way we would buy the Route 51 home for $60,000, put $20,000 worth of work into it, and then sell it in 2028 for $100,000, though. It would probably sell for like $70,000---tops---to an investor at that point (a loss).

By your posts you seem like a really nice person. I understand that you want to be considerate of others, but it's okay to buy something in hopes it will appreciate nicely later on so that you can get good equity. You never know what may happen in life. Having equity is something you can fall back on in an emergency or should you need it to buy a bigger home.

Congratulations! I'm happy for you.

Old 02-06-2020, 04:56 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,893,723 times
Yikes. There are safer neighborhoods in the city. Avoid Woods Run.

Old 02-06-2020, 05:38 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,919,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Yikes. There are safer neighborhoods in the city. Avoid Woods Run.
Living up to your name I see.

Old 02-06-2020, 10:01 PM

61 posts, read 23,035 times
Smile Wonderful News!!!

Quote:
Heh. In an odd stroke of luck we just received a phone call from our realtor. The house on Cake Way is ours!
Congratulations & welcome to the world of Home ownership! I’m so very happy for your good fortune.

You’ve received a tremendous amount of good advice. I used A1 Sewer for my camera inspection (before closing) and was very happy with them. Sometimes they run a special on Angie’s list for $99. You can check out their reviews here:

https://www.angieslist.com/companyli...ews-112472.htm

I checked the house out online and I really like the wood ceiling beams. I’m sure you have ideas of your own. It will be a ‘labor of love’ as mine has been. Just don’t take on too much at once. I’ve learned to do a lot of things on my own with the help of some neighbors, online videos, and by talking with friends and the people at Home Depot, Loews, & Busy Beaver. I stopped by a local ‘mom & pop’ hardware store and the owner explained how to cut and replace the pipe under my kitchen sink. After purchasing some items from him, I still had questions when I got home, and he stayed on the phone with me as I completed the job. Don’t be afraid to ask questions.

As someone has already mentioned, Construction Junction is a great place to visit. You never know what you may find at a great price... sometimes they will come down on the price depending on the item, etc...you can always ask; the worse that can happen is that they say no and asking is free.

https://www.cjreuse.org/

It will be interesting to read about how things progress for you. Please keep us posted.

It’s an amazing feeling the first time you walk into your house after closing and realize it’s yours... all yours!

Old 02-07-2020, 06:19 AM

684 posts, read 419,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
you really need to understand that your dollar today is worth more than a dollar 8 years from now. If you paid 60k, and put 20k into it, 8 years from now just standard home inflation takes the price to around 100k(using 3% yearly housing inflation). You are not being greedy expecting an asset to appreciate at the same rate as other similar assets.
That's not a guarantee, especially for a home at this price point. You're more likely to get a house in an area that is not appreciating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh