Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 07:47 AM

14,354 posts, read 17,080,045 times

Advertisements

There are lots of good schools in the Pittsburgh area. We need more information including:

1. Are you in the position to buy immediately, or are you looking to rent?

2. Price range?

3. Where will you be working?

4. Are you looking for new construction subdivisions, or more of a historic "town" type of vibe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 09:11 AM

17 posts, read 6,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
There are lots of good schools in the Pittsburgh area. We need more information including:

1. Are you in the position to buy immediately, or are you looking to rent?

2. Price range?

3. Where will you be working?

4. Are you looking for new construction subdivisions, or more of a historic "town" type of vibe?
We will be buying immediately (possibly even before we arrive for the right house), price range up to 600k but ideally would prefer not to go to our max budget.

My husband's office is on the south side of the city and if I'm looking at google maps it looks like it's between Arlington Heights and South Side Flats.

Lastly, I love older historic homes with charm, my husband loves new construction but not the taxes that come with it, so we're somewhere in the middle...lol. Both willing to compromise for the right house/school.

Old 02-18-2020, 09:12 AM

17 posts, read 6,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Ditto on the SD everyone has mentioned, we are in Avonworth and while it has grown over the past 12 years it is still pretty small compared to many others. When my kids graduated 6 years ago it was maybe 90 kids in the grade and the younger grades had maybe 120-130 kids. I'm not sure the sizes now but likely not too much different.
Thank you so much!! This helps!

Old 02-18-2020, 09:21 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,717,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghviaRome View Post
We will be buying immediately (possibly even before we arrive for the right house), price range up to 600k but ideally would prefer not to go to our max budget.

My husband's office is on the south side of the city and if I'm looking at google maps it looks like it's between Arlington Heights and South Side Flats.

Lastly, I love older historic homes with charm, my husband loves new construction but not the taxes that come with it, so we're somewhere in the middle...lol. Both willing to compromise for the right house/school.
I would go Squirrel Hill all the way. $600k budget will get you something nice. Like this https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-31954?view=qv

Good luck!

Old 02-18-2020, 09:25 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,138,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
I would go Squirrel Hill all the way. $600k budget will get you something nice. Like this https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-31954?view=qv

Good luck!

Don't think that SD is what they are looking for.

Old 02-18-2020, 09:28 AM

14,354 posts, read 17,080,045 times
Quote:
You can buy a lot of house for that amount of money in Pittsburgh.

Quote:
Hrrm...not the most office-heavy area, but I'm guessing your husband works in an office building at or near South Side Works.

I would not suggest the North Hills in this case. All roads lead to Downtown in Pittsburgh, and working in that area and living north of the city means he'd have to fight his way through downtown traffic every day.

Quote:
I concur with the above poster that you should at least consider buying a home in the city neighborhood of Squirrel Hill. City schools have bad reputations in the U.S. in general I know, but Colfax K-8 - the neighborhood school - is the best neighborhood school in the city and compares favorably to top suburban school districts. Beautiful historic homes in your price range, easy commute for your husband, and a nice family-friendly business district if you're into that.

I'd also consider Mt. Lebanon. Upscale, semi-walkable suburb to the south of the city, that makes more sense to land in if your husband is working to the south of Downtown.

Old 02-18-2020, 09:28 AM

32,623 posts, read 77,729,253 times
Yeah, given the work location I'm not quite as confident that living north/northwest of Downtown in the North Hills and then commuting to southeast of Downtown is your best bet anymore. Thanks for giving us the office site.

Squirrel Hill above is a great suggestion. It's in the city proper, but the public schools in Squirrel Hill are pretty good. Squirrel Hill to South Side would not be a bad commute at all. Squirrel Hill has numerous beautiful homes with charm and historic details for <$600,000.

Old 02-18-2020, 09:34 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,138,443 times
Quote:

There is a mix but less new construction. You are likely to find new renovated homes which migh work for you both depending on what he likes about new construction. $600k leaves most areas wide open. Commute to that area from North Hills areas isn't too bad of a drive, bridges are always the choke point.

Old 02-18-2020, 09:36 AM

32,623 posts, read 77,729,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
There is a mix but less new construction. You are likely to find new renovated homes which migh work for you both depending on what he likes about new construction. $600k leaves most areas wide open. Commute to that area from North Hills areas isn't too bad of a drive, bridges are always the choke point.
Yeah, but let's say you want to commute between Ben Avon Heights and South Side Works during the rush hours. That can't be a very pleasant commute.

I mean wouldn't this commute basically be 65/West End Bridge/Carson Street? That would have to be a 40-minute commute during the rush hours.

Old 02-18-2020, 09:37 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,464,499 times
I would definitely look at Mt Lebanon and still keep ben Avon/ben Avon heights on the list. The commute to the south side really isn't bad in the AM from the north.

and as others state, Squirrel hill would be a good choice if living within the city proper is something that you want to consider. North of Forbes squirrel hill has somewhat of a similar feel as to parts of ben Avon in terms of architecture and feel. The schools are considered to be the best within the city proper and even though some might disagree, I would guess the education one receives might be just as good as any of the top ranked suburban schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh