Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 11:51 AM

10 posts, read 7,759 times

Advertisements

Hello all. My wife and I are moving up to Pittsburgh from Charlotte in May. She's from Western PA, but hasn't lived there for about 20 years. I've only been to Pittsburgh for a weekend to see a concert.
We're in our early 40s. My wife is a nurse and I cook. From snooping around this forum for about a month now, we're going to be looking in the Dormont/Mt. Lebanon area for a place to live. We like what we're reading about the area south of the city.
At the beginning of April we're coming up for a week to find a place to live. So far our search has been on zillow and trulia. craigslist always seems sketchy. Any recommendations on other ways to search for rentals in Pittsburgh? It's difficult and a little frustrating because all we have to go on is pictures. Being a cook, I really want a decent kitchen and the majority of places have a stove, a sink and a few cupboards. Sparse is an understatement.
From what I've already read, parking sucks, there are a lot of hills, I have a basic idea of what places to avoid living in, avoid the tunnels..... but any advice and information about living in Pittsburgh is welcomed and very much appreciated.
I'm curious about the job market for hospitality workers. More specifically for restaurant cooks. If there are any cooks/chefs or restaurant employees on here, I'd love to hear what your experience working in PGH is like.
I realize this may be a little vague, but I just want to get a conversation started and I'll have more questions as I get closer to the big move. I've found this forum to be very useful and I appreciate all of the info everyone shares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2020, 02:43 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,915,413 times
No mention of children, if you have none then why Lebo? You are going to pay a premium for a school district you won’t be using. If no children, and even if you do have children as Brookline K-8 is pretty good, give Brookline a look. It’s next to Lebo and Dormont, but still in the city but flows pretty much seamless with Dormant, albeit in some parts less crowded than Dormant.

Old 03-01-2020, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
No mention of children, if you have none then why Lebo? You are going to pay a premium for a school district you won’t be using. If no children, and even if you do have children as Brookline K-8 is pretty good, give Brookline a look. It’s next to Lebo and Dormont, but still in the city but flows pretty much seamless with Dormant, albeit in some parts less crowded than Dormant.
No children. And to answer your question, I have no idea. Thanks for the tip on Brookline. We’ll definitely check it out. I only mention Lebanon because it’s in the general area that we’re looking at. Since we’ve never been to Pittsburgh before, we’re basically going on what we read online.

Old 03-01-2020, 04:37 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,129,168 times
Yeah rental searching can be challenging. Zillow and such are probably the best bet for homes, most landlords know people are looking on zillow so they at least list on there then maybe others. I tend to agree, craigslist is often less desirable type rentals. If you want a house, it will be a matter of keeping an eye out and be flexible in your areas.

Any price ranges, other requirements? Home only or also traditional apts?

Old 03-01-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Yeah rental searching can be challenging. Zillow and such are probably the best bet for homes, most landlords know people are looking on zillow so they at least list on there then maybe others. I tend to agree, craigslist is often less desirable type rentals. If you want a house, it will be a matter of keeping an eye out and be flexible in your areas.

Any price ranges, other requirements? Home only or also traditional apts?
We’ would like to keep rent $1100 or under. Of course we’d like a single family home, but a duplex would be fine. Trying to stay away from an apartment situation.
What we’re looking for is multiple bedroom, 1.5 bath, and 1000sq feet we’ve been checking Zillow and trulia almost daily and there are some places that meet that. The kitchen is pretty important too. That seems to be the toughest part.

Old 03-01-2020, 06:13 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,683,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurotripper76 View Post
Hello all. My wife and I are moving up to Pittsburgh from Charlotte in May. She's from Western PA, but hasn't lived there for about 20 years. I've only been to Pittsburgh for a weekend to see a concert.
We're in our early 40s. My wife is a nurse and I cook. From snooping around this forum for about a month now, we're going to be looking in the Dormont/Mt. Lebanon area for a place to live. We like what we're reading about the area south of the city.
At the beginning of April we're coming up for a week to find a place to live. So far our search has been on zillow and trulia. craigslist always seems sketchy. Any recommendations on other ways to search for rentals in Pittsburgh? It's difficult and a little frustrating because all we have to go on is pictures. Being a cook, I really want a decent kitchen and the majority of places have a stove, a sink and a few cupboards. Sparse is an understatement.
From what I've already read, parking sucks, there are a lot of hills, I have a basic idea of what places to avoid living in, avoid the tunnels..... but any advice and information about living in Pittsburgh is welcomed and very much appreciated.
I'm curious about the job market for hospitality workers. More specifically for restaurant cooks. If there are any cooks/chefs or restaurant employees on here, I'd love to hear what your experience working in PGH is like.
I realize this may be a little vague, but I just want to get a conversation started and I'll have more questions as I get closer to the big move. I've found this forum to be very useful and I appreciate all of the info everyone shares.
Do you have children? If not you can be more flexible in where you want to live. I am not a huge fan of the south hills. Personally I’d look north or west, even without kids. You will thank me later.

Here is where I would look in the south or west. Greentree Borough, Scott Township, Crafton, Carnegie, Bridgeville, coraopolis and Heidelberg are good options. Collier township, Robinson township, South Fayette, moon and Kennedy are higher priced. I’d only move to Mount Lebanon, Upper st Clair, bethel park or South Park If I had kids. I’d avoid everywhere else. Accessibility flat out sucks to most of the south hills.

In the north I’d look Bellevue, Ben Avon, Avalon, West View, Emsworth, Ross, Reserve.

When you come here an look spend a few days and drive during peak hours and experience the region on a weekend. That will give you a good idea of where to look.

I personally like the counties that surround Allegheny. Depending on what you like and if you don’t care living out a way from the city I can give some more good ideas for you.

Pittsburgh houses are stone aged compared to Charlotte. It will be a culture shock. Apartments and homes are very dated. You will pay big bucks for renovated or shiny and new.

Old 03-02-2020, 04:39 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,557,060 times
I agree with Independent's advice in terms of where to live--especially in light of what you do for a living and the fact that you do not have children. The simplest commute by far into the city is from the north (no tunnels, several routes into the city, easy access to the Turnpike and the airport, several bus lines) and you'd have a far easier time finding the housing that you seek at your desired price point in Bellevue and several other points northwest along the Route 65 corridor.

At your price point, you're not likely to find a "chef's kitchen." That being said, one of the perks of Pittsburgh's older housing stock is that most of the older rentals come equipped with gas ranges. Outside of adequate counter space or enough room for a table in the kitchen that can be used for prep, what else is needed to make fine meals?

If either you or your wife insist on living in the South Hills, the furtherest that I recommend going is Beechview, Brookline, or Dormont.

Parking in the city is pricey, but a few businesses do give parking stipends to their salaried employees that help to offset the cost a bit. Since you're in the restaurant industry, you'll most likely have your days off during the week, which will help with parking since it's free to street park within most of the city on Sundays and only five dollars to garage park on Saturdays. If you find a place on a bus or T line, it's a five dollar round trip to tool in and out of the city.

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 03-02-2020 at 05:03 AM..

Old 03-02-2020, 09:56 AM

969 posts, read 771,617 times
The simplest commute into the city is by busway from the East. The East End is the easiest place to live and access Oakland and Downtown. No tunnels, no bridges, and more grocery stores and restaurants than the rest of the city combined.

Old 03-02-2020, 10:00 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
OP said only that his partner is a nurse. She might not be working in Oakland or Downtown/North Side at all. If she's at a doctor's office, St. Clair Hospital, etc., living in the South Hills or South City wouldn't necessarily be a slog.

Old 03-02-2020, 10:17 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,683,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
OP said only that his partner is a nurse. She might not be working in Oakland or Downtown/North Side at all. If she's at a doctor's office, St. Clair Hospital, etc., living in the South Hills or South City wouldn't necessarily be a slog.
That is very true it depends on where her job is.

OP could you provide more information? Also the areas of north and west of the city have the most new growth and higher income earners that like to spend at restaurants, which would help you. Robinson and the
cranberry areas probably have the most restaurant growth in the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh