Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2023, 08:51 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burghophilia-34 View Post
Anyone know what that structure is out in the Allegheny River?

https://i.imgur.com/YiugY7v.png

Is that part of an old lock? Back in 2008, the date of the above Google street view image, looks like the railroad down there was still active. Seems like they preserve a riverfront trail in that rendering.
I have seen that. Wonder if it had something to do with getting water to a train? You peaked my interest. I'll ask around. Cool find. Love that bridge too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2023, 09:18 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,015,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burghophilia-34 View Post
Anyone know what that structure is out in the Allegheny River?

https://i.imgur.com/YiugY7v.png

Is that part of an old lock? Back in 2008, the date of the above Google street view image, looks like the railroad down there was still active. Seems like they preserve a riverfront trail in that rendering.
Looking on historic maps, that structure was built some time between 1910 and 1923. Looks like they plan to make it into an observation deck.

All new development along the rivers is supposed to include public riverfront access, and considering they eventually want to have two retail spaces (almost certainly restaurants) along the river, it makes business sense as well.

Old 04-30-2023, 09:44 AM

748 posts, read 339,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The master plan for the new 31st Street Studios development has dropped. Looks like it will be 750 units of residential built out over three phases. Phase 1 will involve 250 units in a building at the corner of 32nd and Railroad Street, integrating a section of the existing structure (the "Plate Mill" as a three-story shared amenity space. Phase 2 will involve two buildings along 31st street with 250 units of residential, a 520-space garage, and some retail facing the riverfront. Phase 3 will develop the corner by 32nd street and the river, and involve another 250 units, plus another retail location facing the water. The developer is also keeping the steel frame from one of the bays to form an open roof over one of the public streets (similar to what has been done a bit further up at Bay 41. Overall, it looks like a great project with a well-thought out master plan, though it's gonna be awhile till it's built out.

Post Gazette has more, if you care to read.
I missed this one. Wow, that's a nice size development. It's too bad they don't go taller, but I know that gets into another level cost to build higher.

Old 05-02-2023, 09:30 AM

A new 100-unit apartment building is coming to the corner of Willow Street and 43rd in Lawrenceville.

Location is here. This fills in a gap in development, given it's adjacent to the Foundry at 41st apartment building.

Fitting with Lawrenceville's inclusionary zoning, at least ten of the units must be affordable. The building is being designed by Indovina Architects.

Old 05-03-2023, 07:48 AM

1,170 posts, read 535,397 times
Quote:
A new 100-unit apartment building is coming to the corner of Willow Street and 43rd in Lawrenceville.

Location is here. This fills in a gap in development, given it's adjacent to the Foundry at 41st apartment building.

Fitting with Lawrenceville's inclusionary zoning, at least ten of the units must be affordable. The building is being designed by Indovina Architects.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...postcount=5826

good thinking - that way if one of these sites goes down there's a backup for this vital information

Old 05-03-2023, 11:24 AM

So, the Historic Review Commission is meeting right now, and I noticed I missed this item on today's agenda, which provides updates on a major development in Uptown.

To give background, a planned development in Uptown which involved hundreds of new units was sidetracked due to the successful historic nomination of "Tito House" - something the HRC opposed but the Planning Commission overruled them on. This always seemed to me to be a defensive nomination - an attempt to kill the development, rather than about the intrinsic worth of the building.

Regardless, the developers are back with a new proposal, showing their planned development is not dead. They will keep the Tito House intact, but seek to demolish the garage and another building within the development envelope. It will still add an additional 254 units to Uptown (down from 280). Provided it's approved, the developer will turn over the parcel containing Tito House to Uptown Partners. They will also set back their new development by 10 feet from the house.

Uptown Partners has come out in support of the modified development, so hopefully it will sail through. The garage was also designated historic along with the main house though, so it will require some hoops to be jumped through to get it demolished.

I'm not sure what possible use Tito House will have at the end of this. Some sort of restaurant with outdoor seating would seem appropriate however.

Old 05-03-2023, 11:53 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,693,044 times
Quote:
So, the Historic Review Commission is meeting right now, and I noticed I missed this item on today's agenda, which provides updates on a major development in Uptown.

To give background, a planned development in Uptown which involved hundreds of new units was sidetracked due to the successful historic nomination of "Tito House" - something the HRC opposed but the Planning Commission overruled them on. This always seemed to me to be a defensive nomination - an attempt to kill the development, rather than about the intrinsic worth of the building.

Regardless, the developers are back with a new proposal, showing their planned development is not dead. They will keep the Tito House intact, but seek to demolish the garage and another building within the development envelope. It will still add an additional 254 units to Uptown (down from 280). Provided it's approved, the developer will turn over the parcel containing Tito House to Uptown Partners. They will also set back their new development by 10 feet from the house.

Uptown Partners has come out in support of the modified development, so hopefully it will sail through. The garage was also designated historic along with the main house though, so it will require some hoops to be jumped through to get it demolished.

I'm not sure what possible use Tito House will have at the end of this. Some sort of restaurant with outdoor seating would seem appropriate however.
Glad to see the house preserved. Too much of Pittsburgh history being forgotten. Owner of the house had ties to the Pittsburgh Crawfords baseball team of the Negro League, etc. Why not just preserve everything in the spirit of goodwill and less greed. https://www.uptownpartners.org/titohouse/

Old 05-04-2023, 07:34 AM

38 posts, read 19,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
Glad to see the house preserved. Too much of Pittsburgh history being forgotten. Owner of the house had ties to the Pittsburgh Crawfords baseball team of the Negro League, etc. Why not just preserve everything in the spirit of goodwill and less greed. https://www.uptownpartners.org/titohouse/

Completely agree.

Old 05-04-2023, 10:14 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
I love the rendering featuring the juxtaposition between the modern boxy apartment building and the renovated historic brick home. I wish we could see more projects like this citywide where we permit new construction to occur AROUND existing historic architecture instead of scuttling projects altogether.

Old 05-04-2023, 10:34 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,693,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I love the rendering featuring the juxtaposition between the modern boxy apartment building and the renovated historic brick home. I wish we could see more projects like this citywide where we permit new construction to occur AROUND existing historic architecture instead of scuttling projects altogether.
Yes. Here's a good example. Not sure what the status is on this preservation. But saving history attracts tourism.

https://www.nationaloperahouse.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh