Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2023, 07:26 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,131,490 times

Advertisements

Agree, there is no single answer. Every industry is going to be different, some things can not be done properly WFH. Its great people with some experience can WFH with little issues but as a company there is more to consider than that one employee, it is not the same for new staff and a bigger picture.

I likely have more experience WFH than the majority, I've been for 19 years. I wouldn't swap it but there can be major downsides to it as well in terms of personal life, work structure, networking, mentoring, and opportunities missed. Its not all roses, some issues might take years and years to show up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2023, 02:14 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
The major new residential project in Upper Lawrenceville (Albion) is now going before the city planning commission, and while we've seen bits of this before, nothing to this degree. It's a five-story 265-unit building, with a small amount of ground floor retail and 200 parking spaces. In addition, the existing firehouse building is being renovated as part of the redevelopment. While I'd prefer active uses along the entire frontage on Butler, there's a lot to like here otherwise, from retaining a historic building to the tight building footprint to keeping Berlin Way (which is a private ROW on the block, and thus not protected), to the overall clean design.

I also appreciate how they're subdividing the lot and leaving the old converted truck bay on the interior of the parcel, as it means there could be later phases of redevelopment.

Old 07-19-2023, 02:33 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,958,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The major new residential project in Upper Lawrenceville (Albion) is now going before the city planning commission, and while we've seen bits of this before, nothing to this degree. It's a five-story 265-unit building, with a small amount of ground floor retail and 200 parking spaces. In addition, the existing firehouse building is being renovated as part of the redevelopment. While I'd prefer active uses along the entire frontage on Butler, there's a lot to like here otherwise, from retaining a historic building to the tight building footprint to keeping Berlin Way (which is a private ROW on the block, and thus not protected), to the overall clean design.

I also appreciate how they're subdividing the lot and leaving the old converted truck bay on the interior of the parcel, as it means there could be later phases of redevelopment.
Wow! This is a solid bookend for Butler.

Old 07-20-2023, 06:29 AM

748 posts, read 339,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

Interesting. Do you know - about where is the city with new units trending - is it on par with recent years? Up? Down?

Old 07-21-2023, 07:56 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_c55 View Post
Interesting. Do you know - about where is the city with new units trending - is it on par with recent years? Up? Down?
Not sure on the city itself. The Census does track housing starts though my MSA, let's look at those.

For 2023 through May, we've had the following:

1-unit: 1306
2-unit: 12
3/4-unit: 48
5+unit: 674
Total structures with 5+ units: 19

Compare to May of last year:

1-unit: 1565
2-unit: 32
3/4-unit: 52
5+unit: 413
Total structures with 5+ units: 29.

So, in general, new housing permits across the MSA have slowed down a bit, though it appears that there are less but larger multi-family structures being constructed so far this year.

Old 07-26-2023, 05:59 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
The Strip District is experiencing soaring growth.

https://nextpittsburgh.com/city-desi...post-pandemic/

Old 07-27-2023, 10:23 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,698,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
The Strip District is experiencing soaring growth.

https://nextpittsburgh.com/city-desi...post-pandemic/
Noisiest location in the Burgh. The alleys are full of graffiti and garbage. Lots of traffic. And those drummers by the Wesbanco corner. Just way better and quieter city locations. But if that's your bag, go for it.

Old 07-27-2023, 10:35 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,958,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
Noisiest location in the Burgh. The alleys are full of graffiti and garbage. Lots of traffic. And those drummers by the Wesbanco corner. Just way better and quieter city locations. But if that's your bag, go for it.
It is a dynamic neighborhood full of attractions and new construction. Evidently the Strip District is more popular than most city neighborhoods and for good reason.

The drummers are not located anywhere near the residential areas. The drums are annoying but that is a a part of city life. The residential area in and around Smallman and Railroad streets is very quiet after hours not to mention the river views and trail access.

Old 07-27-2023, 10:47 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
I don't know what the drums are in the Strip, but on a Friday in the fall I can hear them from a game and it takes me back.

Old 07-27-2023, 10:50 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,698,423 times
Yes the trails are nice and would be nice if they could somehow extend the trail in the Strip to connect to Lawrenceville.

The Armstrong Cork Factory was a great re-development. Still mostly a place for the younger folk I believe. I'd prefer Troy Hill or Spring Hill or Spring Garden instead. But nobody likes the hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh