Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2020, 05:30 PM

37,301 posts, read 39,630,348 times

Advertisements

I think the railroads probably supplanted most other means to get to and settle the railroads, but prior to that, how did most migrants find their way to Pittsburgh? The headwaters of the Allegheny and Monongahela don’t seem to pass through any major settlements prior to Pittsburgh. Was it mostly overland from the East Coast? Or upstream via boats on the Ohio?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2020, 05:47 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,049,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think the railroads probably supplanted most other means to get to and settle the railroads, but prior to that, how did most migrants find their way to Pittsburgh? The headwaters of the Allegheny and Monongahela don’t seem to pass through any major settlements prior to Pittsburgh. Was it mostly overland from the East Coast? Or upstream via boats on the Ohio?
Pittsburgh believe it or not was key to expansion because of its rivers and this was discovered in the 1700's. The influx of people came on foot, horse and later horse and buggy. They came from the East. Many Scottish settlers here at the beginning as they were forced to enter the military so they could have the potential to have land and be able to wear their kilts, etc. This migration just continued as Pittsburgh began to grow due to river transportation of goods. Ah, what a great history we have here. Truly amazing to be honest. I suggest visiting the many old war sights around here that really give an idea how valuable the three rivers were. That was the draw. Little different these days. Pittsburgh has the most Presbyterian Churches than anywhere other than San Fransisco if memory serves.

Here is a nice little read for a newspaper.

https://archive.triblive.com/news/pr...n-to-region-2/

Old 08-26-2020, 08:20 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,908,706 times
I would assume the Forbes Road - the road that the British Army built from Carlisle to Fort Duquesne (Pittsburgh). Today's US Route 30 basically follows the Forbes Road.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes_Road#After_1758
https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en...20Pennsylvania.

Old 08-26-2020, 08:30 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,049,329 times
I am not sure some understand how old Pittsburgh really is. The University of Pittsburgh was founded in 1787. Pittsburgh got population from Scotland, Northern Ireland, and other areas over there, then Italians and so on came in. Pittsburgh's population was larger than it is today in 1900. Keep in mind the US population in 1900 was only 76.1 million. We are an old established city so people came here on horse or walked, yes walked. We had those rivers and they were very valuable back then.

Old 08-26-2020, 08:30 AM

14,354 posts, read 17,086,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
I would assume the Forbes Road - the road that the British Army built from Carlisle to Fort Duquesne (Pittsburgh). Today's US Route 30 basically follows the Forbes Road.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes_Road#After_1758
https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en...20Pennsylvania.
In 1834 Pennsylvania completed its canal system. You could travel by water from South-Central PA all the way to Hollidaysburg. After that you had to overland to Johnstown, and could travel by boat from there to Pittsburgh. You could also travel by water from Erie to Pittsburgh, but I don't think many settlers went north to south - though many did migrate up from what became West Virginia.

A few years later, in 1840, the first Pennsylvania Turnpike was completed, though only 14 years later rail travel between Pittsburgh and Philly was also possible.

Old 08-26-2020, 08:59 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,908,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I don't think many settlers went north to south
Probably the opposite way was more common - south from Pennsylvania and north to Ontario.

https://www.historymuseum.ca/cmc/exh...1/ca15eng.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsy...tion_to_Canada

Old 08-28-2020, 09:40 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,785,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
In 1834 Pennsylvania completed its canal system. You could travel by water from South-Central PA all the way to Hollidaysburg. After that you had to overland to Johnstown, and could travel by boat from there to Pittsburgh. You could also travel by water from Erie to Pittsburgh, but I don't think many settlers went north to south - though many did migrate up from what became West Virginia.

A few years later, in 1840, the first Pennsylvania Turnpike was completed, though only 14 years later rail travel between Pittsburgh and Philly was also possible.

This also means , not to put words to eschaton, but before the canals , in colonial times, it was horseback and buggys. a young George Washington kind of blazed the british trail to Pittsburgh from Virginia, using native american trails along the way. check out Fort Necessity which is pretty interesting. Washington surrendered there to the French. I'm sure there were many trails even then and all pretty dangerous. But, the native americans didn't have many horses back then, I think they mostly traveled on foot. The French had more horses and artillery,and ammo, and thus the british defeat (Washington fighting for the brits!) in the French and Indian war , in that battle. I've been to that battlefield and you can kind of really feel the history there. It's in a small valley and the national parks people will tell you all about the battle there.

Just my own additive but its probably a part of why George Washington became very wise about battle and enabled him to outsmart the British in the revolution.

Last edited by _Buster; 08-28-2020 at 10:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh