Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2021, 11:59 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,686,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
Squirrel hill
Highland Park
Oakland
Central north side/east Allegheny
South Side

East Liberty
Strip district
Regent square
Bloomfield/friendship/Garfield
Manchester/ Allegheny west
I’d replace Bloomfield, friendship, Garfield with the west end valley, Westwood / crafton heights and oak wood.

Oakland I would replace with either morningside, greenfield, Brookline or Beechview. Those four are too close to call. I see Oakland in the same light as downtown. It shouldn’t be on this list.

Otherwise I agree with the others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2021, 07:51 AM

912 posts, read 1,733,253 times
Lawrenceville
Squirrel Hill
Shadyside
East Liberty
Oakland
South Side Flats
Central North Side
Garfield
Bloomfield
Highland Park

Old 01-25-2021, 10:37 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
1 Squirrel Hill
2 Shadyside

3 Lawrenceville
5 East Liberty
6 South Side
7 Bloomfield

8 Brookline

Others that I like all have faults. Highland Park, not enough commercial. Same goes for Friendship, Mexican War Streets/Allegheny West, and Brighton Heights. Regent Square would probable fall here as well but the city portion is just too small to rank it higher. And I really like Point Breeze, lived there for a bit, but it is just not close to anything beside Frick Park. Walk to the busway is too far. Same goes with the walk to Squirrel Hill.

I think the way things are in the city right now is that being close to Oakland is more of a perk than being close to downtown.

Old 01-25-2021, 10:50 AM

1,170 posts, read 536,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
Lawrenceville
Squirrel Hill
Shadyside
East Liberty
Oakland
South Side Flats
Central North Side
Garfield
Bloomfield
Highland Park
maybe someone can educate me - if you live in central lawrenceville and you want to just want to buy some fruits and vegetables, is there a grocery store or market you can walk to?

Old 01-26-2021, 02:11 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUILD PENN SQUARE View Post
maybe someone can educate me - if you live in central lawrenceville and you want to just want to buy some fruits and vegetables, is there a grocery store or market you can walk to?
Don’t know anyone so concerned with grocery stores in a particular area. How often does one need to go to a grocery store and/or market?

Old 01-27-2021, 07:05 AM

1,170 posts, read 536,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Don’t know anyone so concerned with grocery stores in a particular area. How often does one need to go to a grocery store and/or market?
putting erieguy on ignore - no reason to put up with personal attacks here

Old 01-27-2021, 11:51 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,699,796 times
My favorites in no particular order:

Manchester
Spring Hill
Brookline
Squirrel Hill
Southside Slopes

Polish Hill is overrated and overpriced.

Old 01-27-2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUILD PENN SQUARE View Post
There is/was a grocery store there. Similar to that Save a Lot nobody cared for in Bloomfield. Lawrenceville has some neat shops but housing there is insanely high and cannot be sustainable. It may fall back to reality like South Side Flats did.

Old 01-27-2021, 11:57 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,056,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
My favorites in no particular order:

Manchester
Spring Hill
Brookline
Squirrel Hill
Southside Slopes

Polish Hill is overrated and overpriced.

I actually kind of like Spring Hill. But I do not think of it when I think of settling down. What is it about Spring Hill that you like? Someone can argue its pretty much Polish Hill-like in housing stock, age, and topography.

Old 01-27-2021, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
I actually kind of like Spring Hill. But I do not think of it when I think of settling down. What is it about Spring Hill that you like? Someone can argue its pretty much Polish Hill-like in housing stock, age, and topography.
Housing stock is a little better in my opinion and much more affordable. Spring Hill is a bit quieter. Just seems tucked away and less pretentious than Polish Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh